What's Really Going On?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tellitlikeitis
Bumper

Re: What's Really Going On?

Post by tellitlikeitis »

brownman wrote:Happy New Year !

Powdr got lucky last year with the weather and everything else.
Since I'm blacked-out, haven't skied in 2 weeks... but i know
( from talking with others ) I haven't missed anything.

The $$ must have gone into the Stash, which, expert boarders
have told me is just 'so-so'... Lot of money for little reward.

Can't wait to see these nets you're describing. I'll grab a pair of
wire cutters and have them in my backpack.

This Management team will fold up under this Economy.
They don't have the juice to run an eastern resort with dignity.

you obviously have not talked to geoff :roll:

This aint Las Vegas, and Pork City isn't getting the snow either.
Powdr
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Powdr »

brownman wrote:

This aint Las Vegas, and Pork City isn't getting the snow either.
Yeah, it really sucks out here. Wish I was somewhere like New England :roll:

New England skiers: biggest whiners in the World.
TeleProphet
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

rogman wrote:Wind Holds: There are too many and they last too long, and again, they don't adapt.
After skiing in the Tahoe area i really don't understand why there are wind holds in VT. Last year I was at Squaw and there were 50 mph winds with gusts to 70 and the place didn't skip a beat. Why can't killington do the same? Maybe someone here can explain why this is possible on the west coast but not the east.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

laseranimal wrote:Spanky ambassabdors might get perks like family passes and cheeper food

I'm not sure if this is true but perhaps powdr doesn't want to hand out freebies anymore
bingo ... a 2nd year ambassador gets a free family pass. and yeah cheaper food. my friend who's an ambassador says they've cut way back on the program.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I was told they did not add any new ambassadors, and a number of the existing ones were not invited back. Given the changes around Skye Peak, I'd have one stationed at the top of the Express during prime time. Also the signage could be better. Something like: follow the orange signs for the fastest way back to KBL, follow the green signs for the easiest way back, that sort of thing. Expecting people to actually look at the trail map while standing on the slope in a 20 knot breeze is a bit much. Furthermore, with the changes, the map is now a much poorer representation of the trails around Skye. The original artist, James Niehues, does beautiful work, but it is a representation. They squeezed the Stash onto the existing map with a bad bit of Photoshop work, and it really is confusing. Time for POWDR to drop a dime and have him re-do it. Move the SRT to the left to make a little more room.
Kskiier1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Kskiier1 »

In light of the spirit of most of the comments of this topic, and having the holiday season fresh in my mind, I have composed a melody.

Sung to the tune of Jingle Bells.

POWDR came out east
to buy a ski resort
but they have no clue
so now they look like dorks (sorry dork, no connection intended or implied)

They should head back west
and find a touch of class
and while the're at it they can pucker up and kiss my ass

Oh........
POWDR sucks
POWDR sucks
POWDR TMB
Only thing that they do well is paint the K1 stalls.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

The whining on KZone is starting to hit epidemic proportions! :lol: :roll: :?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Nope, not whining, just trying to ferret out the truth. Skied this AM. The only guns I saw "blazing" were on Conclusion. Maybe 30. The report currently says:
Bittersweet - Upper
Superstar - Headwall
Superstar - Lower
Conclusion - Lower
Even if they were blowing snow on all those trails, it is still a pretty paltry resurfacing effort, but the fact of the matter is they've finished Superstar upper and lower, and I've yet to see anything on Bittersweet. My guess is they'll start soon. I wouldn't care, but they haven't finished blowing open the mountain. OL is still closed. Once they finish Bittersweet (which because it is the new Snowshed Crossover pretty much needs a nightly resurface), they'll probably start on Ovation, and then maybe OL, and after that they'll finish the pipe. If you are paying top dollar, you have a right to expect top effort. I don't see it.
ski the trees
Bumper

Post by ski the trees »

it's not whining to stand up and fight for what you believe in and what is right. it's called caring.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

rogman wrote:Nope, not whining, just trying to ferret out the truth. Skied this AM. The only guns I saw "blazing" were on Conclusion. Maybe 30. The report currently says:
Bittersweet - Upper
Superstar - Headwall
Superstar - Lower
Conclusion - Lower
Even if they were blowing snow on all those trails, it is still a pretty paltry resurfacing effort, but the fact of the matter is they've finished Superstar upper and lower, and I've yet to see anything on Bittersweet. My guess is they'll start soon. I wouldn't care, but they haven't finished blowing open the mountain. OL is still closed. Once they finish Bittersweet (which because it is the new Snowshed Crossover pretty much needs a nightly resurface), they'll probably start on Ovation, and then maybe OL, and after that they'll finish the pipe. If you are paying top dollar, you have a right to expect top effort. I don't see it.
They would not have to resurface "every" night if they would only open the headwall . . . what is so difficult with that :ear
shizzle
Bumper

Post by shizzle »

rogman wrote:I was told they did not add any new ambassadors, and a number of the existing ones were not invited back. Given the changes around Skye Peak, I'd have one stationed at the top of the Express during prime time. Also the signage could be better. Something like: follow the orange signs for the fastest way back to KBL, follow the green signs for the easiest way back, that sort of thing. Expecting people to actually look at the trail map while standing on the slope in a 20 knot breeze is a bit much. Furthermore, with the changes, the map is now a much poorer representation of the trails around Skye. The original artist, James Niehues, does beautiful work, but it is a representation. They squeezed the Stash onto the existing map with a bad bit of Photoshop work, and it really is confusing. Time for POWDR to drop a dime and have him re-do it. Move the SRT to the left to make a little more room.
I thought one of the reasons for the color coded lodges would be for people to find their way back-maybe now's the time for those color coded signs on the hill to get people back to lodges--except they might be confused for green/blue trails since KBL is blue and Snowshed is green?
SellVT
Beginner On Rentals

Post by SellVT »

Skied yesterday, Saturday the 4th. You can blame it on whatever, or praise it, but the fact is, the lift lines were no where what they used to be. I usually go out of my way, to not ski on weekend days, especially holiday weekend days, mostly because of how crowded it gets. Maybe I should rethink this. At no time during the day, (and we hit the K1 4 x between 8 and 9, 2 x between 9 and 10, 1 x between 10 and 11, and at least once an hour after that) and never saw the corral more than half full. Usually less than a third. We went over to Bear during the day, no line at all, maybe 5 minutes at the new chair, then came back through and went over to Snowdon, riding the triple and the quad before we quit at 2:30, but never had to really wait on a lift line like two years ago. What's going on?

Have people really figured out that Powdr just aint doing a good job? How about that powder day on a Monday two weeks ago. It snowed about 12-18 inches Sunday afternoon, and we went up on Monday morning, and they had groomed everything. What a crock of sh*t. I don't care if you feel like you need to "pack it down" so you don't lose it. You wait. You don't groom over the top a powder day. We get so few. A bunch of us, the early morning mid week group, looked at each other in disbelief.

The list goes on. How about all those death cookies they created over on SkyePeak? Some kind of grooming thing they did really screwed up the snow. How about the guns shooting out water the other day on East Fall. Almost killed a friend of mine, when he got about half way down, and came to a grinding halt. At least 3-5 of the guns was shootng out slop, and no snowmakers in sight. I felt compelled to mention it to a lifty on the way up. Oh, here's one for you. How about grooming Superstar to the lip, below the last Skyelark cutoff, so it looks groomed all the way, and then you end up in frozen ice/bump mine field, with no exit. Take that you cruisers. Wish you took that cutoff to Skyelark? I'll bet.

I took the family that had come to visit, and tried to get from the top of the K1, down bear trax, and figured we could get over to Cruise Control on the way to Bear. Silly me. I gues I better start carrying a trail map again. We ended up at Bear of course.

Trying to think of good things, and having a hard time. I'll save the rest for another post. I don't want to get too carried away, this my first post, having newly discovered this board.

I hope I am not :beat
Local Skier Selling in Vermont
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

SellVT wrote:Skied yesterday, Saturday the 4th. You can blame it on whatever, or praise it, but the fact is, the lift lines were no where what they used to be. I usually go out of my way, to not ski on weekend days, especially holiday weekend days, mostly because of how crowded it gets. Maybe I should rethink this. At no time during the day, (and we hit the K1 4 x between 8 and 9, 2 x between 9 and 10, 1 x between 10 and 11, and at least once an hour after that) and never saw the corral more than half full. Usually less than a third. We went over to Bear during the day, no line at all, maybe 5 minutes at the new chair, then came back through and went over to Snowdon, riding the triple and the quad before we quit at 2:30, but never had to really wait on a lift line like two years ago. What's going on?

Have people really figured out that Powdr just aint doing a good job? How about that powder day on a Monday two weeks ago. It snowed about 12-18 inches Sunday afternoon, and we went up on Monday morning, and they had groomed everything. What a crock of sh*t. I don't care if you feel like you need to "pack it down" so you don't lose it. You wait. You don't groom over the top a powder day. We get so few. A bunch of us, the early morning mid week group, looked at each other in disbelief.

The list goes on. How about all those death cookies they created over on SkyePeak? Some kind of grooming thing they did really screwed up the snow. How about the guns shooting out water the other day on East Fall. Almost killed a friend of mine, when he got about half way down, and came to a grinding halt. At least 3-5 of the guns was shootng out slop, and no snowmakers in sight. I felt compelled to mention it to a lifty on the way up. Oh, here's one for you. How about grooming Superstar to the lip, below the last Skyelark cutoff, so it looks groomed all the way, and then you end up in frozen ice/bump mine field, with no exit. Take that you cruisers. Wish you took that cutoff to Skyelark? I'll bet.

I took the family that had come to visit, and tried to get from the top of the K1, down bear trax, and figured we could get over to Cruise Control on the way to Bear. Silly me. I gues I better start carrying a trail map again. We ended up at Bear of course.

Trying to think of good things, and having a hard time. I'll save the rest for another post. I don't want to get too carried away, this my first post, having newly discovered this board.

I hope I am not :beat
I do remember that Monday and was pissed! :evil: Don't know why the hell they did that? :? They groomed everything to the trees. Was hoping they would leave some powder at least along the sides.
Also agree with others that grooming hasn't been great this season and snowmaking could definitely be better. Now these things impact me. Trail re-config is fine with me. Most of the other stuff I could care less about like the nets or the coffee bar... :lol:
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

SellVT wrote:Oh, here's one for you. How about grooming Superstar to the lip, below the last Skyelark cutoff, so it looks groomed all the way, and then you end up in frozen ice/bump mine field, with no exit. Take that you cruisers. Wish you took that cutoff to Skyelark? I'll bet.
Isn't SS a black diamond? This shouldn't be an issue for an advanced skier.
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

TheLurker wrote:
SellVT wrote:Oh, here's one for you. How about grooming Superstar to the lip, below the last Skyelark cutoff, so it looks groomed all the way, and then you end up in frozen ice/bump mine field, with no exit. Take that you cruisers. Wish you took that cutoff to Skyelark? I'll bet.
Isn't SS a black diamond? This shouldn't be an issue for an advanced skier.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that it's what the person in question felt like skiing, and misrepresenting the trail conditions like that is annoying.