Ski Recommendations

Buying or Selling Gear, Post Information Here
Pushgears
Blue Chatterbox

Ski Recommendations

Post by Pushgears »

Looking for a new set of boards and welcome Zoners' recommendations. I am an advanced skier who skis all terrain from groomers to trees to bumps but not necessarily at high speeds. Most of my skiing is on the Ice Coast, with a trip out West every year or two. I am considering the following boards:
-Rossignol Avenger Ti 82
-Rossignol Experience 88 (maybe 98's?)
-Volkl Mantra
-Volkl RTM 84

Length recommendations are most appreciated too. I am 5'10" 145 lbs and in good shape.

It is so difficult to separate the facts from the hype (did any one say "Salomon BBRs") :bang so your opinions are highly valued. Thanks folks!
I spend a little time on the mountain, spend a little time on the hill.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Ski Recommendations

Post by Stormchaser »

Pushgears wrote:Looking for a new set of boards and welcome Zoners' recommendations. I am an advanced skier who skis all terrain from groomers to trees to bumps but not necessarily at high speeds. Most of my skiing is on the Ice Coast, with a trip out West every year or two. I am considering the following boards:
-Rossignol Avenger Ti 82
-Volkl Mantra
-Volkl RTM 84

Length recommendations are most appreciated too. I am 5'10" 145 lbs and in good shape.

It is so difficult to separate the facts from the hype (did any one say "Salomon BBRs") :bang so your opinions are highly valued. Thanks folks!

Demo demo demo. Figure out what works for you... You need a ski that suits your style of skiing.

I'm a pretty light guy myself and have been fond of the Salomon Pocket Rocket > Gun > Shogun line for the last few years. And though I ripped apart last years Shoguns, I don't hold it against them (the ski had a defect and I exploited it). The series has always been a very light cap construction twinned ski. I like the twin cuz the tails release easy and you can skid and smear turns and scrub speed effectively. The light weight makes em very easy to turn in the tight trees and moguls. They're stable enough for some speed (groomers), but tend to get a bit noodly with fast uneven terrain (doesn't bother me). The grip on ice sucks (as with most fat skis), but holds well on firm eastern snowpack. I just don't try to make a turn when i see ice (drive fast, swerve later). The BBR is intriguing, but I've never been fond of the extreme sidecut with a huge shovel out front. Always was a problem for me in the bumps. That said, IMO, I think 90mm waist is the perfect width for the East.
ImageImageImageImage
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Stormchaser wrote:
Pushgears wrote:Looking for a new set of boards and welcome Zoners' recommendations. I am an advanced skier who skis all terrain from groomers to trees to bumps but not necessarily at high speeds. Most of my skiing is on the Ice Coast, with a trip out West every year or two. I am considering the following boards:
-Rossignol Avenger Ti 82
-Volkl Mantra
-Volkl RTM 84

Demo demo demo. Figure out what works for you... You need a ski that suits your style of skiing.

I'm a pretty light guy myself and have been fond of the Salomon Pocket Rocket > Gun > Shogun line for the last few years. And though I ripped apart last years Shoguns, I don't hold it against them (the ski had a defect and I exploited it). The series has always been a very light cap construction twinned ski. I like the twin cuz the tails release easy and you can skid and smear turns and scrub speed effectively. The light weight makes em very easy to turn in the tight trees and moguls. They're stable enough for some speed (groomers), but tend to get a bit noodly with fast uneven terrain (doesn't bother me). The grip on ice sucks (as with most fat skis), but holds well on firm eastern snowpack. I just don't try to make a turn when i see ice (drive fast, swerve later). The BBR is intriguing, but I've never been fond of the extreme sidecut with a huge shovel out front. Always was a problem for me in the bumps. That said, IMO, I think 90mm waist is the perfect width for the East.
Love my Shoguns . . . . I destroyed two brand-new pairs last year.... both had the cap splitting from the ski on both sides near the center/binding area . . . The 2nd pair was sent to Salomon and I now have this years model.. hopefully the cap is on better.. It's my backcountry set-up, so I am going to put them aside and not pound on them as much this year... Instead, I'm going with some fine USA goods . . . ... http://momentskis.com/

Fatter is better . . . once you go fat, you'll never go back !
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I agree with the Fatter Mantra, except for when dealing with women :lol:

Anyways a 90mm waist is definitely a good ski for the east. my everyday ski is a K2 Apache Outlaw that is 90 in the waist and i ski the majority of my days in PA, mostly at my local hill that is packed powder on a good day.

I have heard good things about the Mantra, and it is rockered this year.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ski wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
-Rossignol Avenger Ti 82
-Volkl Mantra
-Volkl RTM 84

Love my Shoguns . . . . I destroyed two brand-new pairs last year.... both had the cap splitting from the ski on both sides near the center/binding area . . . The 2nd pair was sent to Salomon and I now have this years model.. hopefully the cap is on better.. It's my backcountry set-up, so I am going to put them aside and not pound on them as much this year... Instead, I'm going with some fine USA goods . . . ... http://momentskis.com/

I like startup, handmade brands too. My Bluehouse MR's sold me on bamboo cores. Very light and much more stable than the foam cores I was skiing on... Unloaded much of the quiver once these came on line. Some minor delamming issues with one tail (peeled stuffing it into the gondola racks before I even skied them), but no biggy, some epoxy fixed that. Top sheet chips - common to sidewall construction skis - but doesn't affect the ski. 93 waist.
ImageImageImageImage
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ski wrote: Love my Shoguns . . . . I destroyed two brand-new pairs last year.... both had the cap splitting from the ski on both sides near the center/binding area . . . The 2nd pair was sent to Salomon and I now have this years model.. hopefully the cap is on better.. It's my backcountry set-up, so I am going to put them aside and not pound on them as much this year... Instead, I'm going with some fine USA goods . . . ... http://momentskis.com/

I had the same splitting issue, except the cap wasn't separating from the core, the core was separating from the base on one ski, and the core was pulling itself apart on the other ski. First pair of skis I've ever broken.
ImageImageImageImage
Pushgears
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Pushgears »

The Moment skis look awesome - from the distinctive shapes to the unique graphics. Which model do you have? Which are well suited for the K?

I noticed you guys mentioned cap skis. Is there really a difference in how a cap ski performs vs a ski with a traditional sidewall construction? Or are they simply different approaches achieving the same goal? It seems like the industry (or at least Rossignol) is going back to vertical sidewalls and metal topsheets.
I spend a little time on the mountain, spend a little time on the hill.
Stymie
Green Skidder

Post by Stymie »

The 2012 Line Prophet 90s are an awesome choice as well. Skied about 5 days so far on them this year and they are PERFECT for the ice coast. Slight early rise in the front, moderate stiffness and their new capwall construction (halfway between a cap and a side wall) make for a great ski.

I've skied the 2012 Mantra as well- great ski... but a little bit stiffer than I wanted- close second place. The pricing is also significantly higher for these...
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Pushgears wrote:The Moment skis look awesome - from the distinctive shapes to the unique graphics. Which model do you have? Which are well suited for the K?

I noticed you guys mentioned cap skis. Is there really a difference in how a cap ski performs vs a ski with a traditional sidewall construction? Or are they simply different approaches achieving the same goal? It seems like the industry (or at least Rossignol) is going back to vertical sidewalls and metal topsheets.
Sidewall construction tends to be more durable. They also trend a bit heavier.
ImageImageImageImage
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Stormchaser wrote:
Pushgears wrote:The Moment skis look awesome - from the distinctive shapes to the unique graphics. Which model do you have? Which are well suited for the K?

I think vertical sidewalls hold better on ice. All that extra material directly over the edge.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Ski_the_Moguls wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

I think vertical sidewalls hold better on ice. All that extra material directly over the edge.

I always attributed that to ski weight alone...interesting theory!
ImageImageImageImage
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

No need to demo, here's your ski: http://shop.nordicausa.com/Product/1001 ... n-enforcer

Ski Sizes: 161,169,177,185
Sidecut Radius: 16-17-19-21
Dimensions: 135-98-125
Rocker Profile: Slow Rise Profile
Ski Construction: Energy TI
Type of Core: Wood
Base Type: UHMW sintered Electra Gallium
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com