Pico Lift Derailment

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Gangsta Rider
Postaholic

Pico Lift Derailment

Post by Gangsta Rider »

"During operating hours at approximately at 12:00pm a derailment occurred near the load terminal at Summit Lift. The lift was stopped and is currently being evacuated. At this time the resort knows of no injuries. The cause of the derailment is not known at this time."
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Pico Lift Derailment

Post by ozzy »

Yeah, I just saw that on fb. Bummer. That chair was running funny yesterday. Lots of starts and stops. There was also a mechanic perched up near tower 3ish for a time checking out the sheeve. It eventually went down around 2 due to wind
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

oops . . . :shock:
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

during one of rides on the Sq4 LIFT AROUND THAT SAME TIME, there was a gust of wind that raised our chair and if the saftey bar was'nt down we could of fallen out. Never experienced a gust like that before.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

At noon it was so windy on the Snowdon quad, that they slowed down the chair. It stopped several more times on the way up.

Sad to hear about this.
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Pico's FB post at about 4:36 pm

SUMMIT EXPRESS UPDATE: On Saturday, February 25, 2012 at approximately 12:00pm, during operating hours, a derailment occurred at the load terminal of the Summit Express Quad Chairlift at Pico Mountain. The chairlift was stopped and eight crews of 3-4 staff evacuated all of the approximately 120-130 guests without incident or reported injury. According to state requirements, a Vermont state tramway inspector arrived at Pico. Repairs have been made and based on the tramway inspection the Summit Express Quad Chairlift will re-open tomorrow.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Heard today that each stuck guest was given a $40 food & beverage voucher for their troubles. Anyone able to confirm this?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Ski_the_Moguls wrote:Heard today that each stuck guest was given a $40 food & beverage voucher for their troubles. Anyone able to confirm this?
Talked to some of the crew Saturday evening. Food voucher was good for SATURDAY only. They were also given a lift ticket good through next year.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

finn wrote:At noon it was so windy on the Snowdon quad, that they slowed down the chair...
And that, folks, is the biggest news of all. The Snowdon Quad can actually go slower than it runs under normal circumstances! :wink:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Bubba wrote:
finn wrote:At noon it was so windy on the Snowdon quad, that they slowed down the chair...
And that, folks, is the biggest news of all. The Snowdon Quad can actually go slower than it runs under normal circumstances! :wink:

so they were running it backwards? any slower than it alreay runs and you can get to the top faster walking, if you're wearing snowboard boots anyway...
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

BoozeTan wrote:
Bubba wrote:

so they were running it backwards? any slower than it alreay runs and you can get to the top faster walking, if you're wearing snowboard boots anyway...
On Saturday morning I can confirm that the Snowdon Quad, Snowdon Triple, and the Canyon Quad, can all be run much slower than normal. I think it took us over 1 1/2 hours for just the 3 runs off those chairs. That is why we went over to Sunrise for lunch and then spent the whole afternoon at Bear.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Ski_the_Moguls wrote:
BoozeTan wrote:
Bubba wrote:

On Saturday morning I can confirm that the Snowdon Quad, Snowdon Triple, and the Canyon Quad, can all be run much slower than normal. I think it took us over 1 1/2 hours for just the 3 runs off those chairs. That is why we went over to Sunrise for lunch and then spent the whole afternoon at Bear.
With the winds blowing Saturday you should be happy that those chairs were running at all. Those were some strong winds that I've heard pulled some snowboards and skis off the K1 so that they had to ask everyone to take their gear inside with them.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Ski_the_Moguls wrote:
BoozeTan wrote:
Bubba wrote:

I'm hearing of 45min liftlines at sugarbush that morning, were the liftlines bad at K? not sure whats better/worse, long slow chairlift ride or long liftlines.
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Ski_the_Moguls wrote:
BoozeTan wrote:
Bubba wrote:
With the winds blowing Saturday you should be happy that those chairs were running at all. Those were some strong winds that I've heard pulled some snowboards and skis off the K1 so that they had to ask everyone to take their gear inside with them.
Believe me, I was happy those lifts were running at all. Not trying to be critical. I thought K did a great job keeping as many lifts going as they did. Seems like they pushed the envelope a bit too far over at Pico, though.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

twilkas wrote:
Ski_the_Moguls wrote:
BoozeTan wrote:
Bubba wrote:

I'm hearing of 45min liftlines at sugarbush that morning, were the liftlines bad at K? not sure whats better/worse, long slow chairlift ride or long liftlines.
Both are bad but if it's a good ski day you put up with it to get to the goods.