What does the town of Killington need?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

FirstScrape
Blue Chatterbox

Re: What does the town of Killington need?

Post by FirstScrape »

Dr. NO wrote:Like most towns looking to find income, especially year round, some type of small, out of sight, industry..
A lead smelter would be nice.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Everybody loves the beach. What we really need is a Ski Beach.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

a small amphitheater would be a good start...centrally located ON the access rd, could bring some good acts and draw people into town during the spring, summer and fall months. hell it might even provide work for some people in town, but what do i know? wait, havent we heard this some where before?
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

johnny the jibber wrote:a small amphitheater would be a good start...centrally located ON the access rd, could bring some good acts and draw people into town during the spring, summer and fall months. hell it might even provide work for some people in town, but what do i know? wait, havent we heard this some where before?
I agree.

But instead of spending the $ on an ampitheater cold turkey, perhaps there's a spot with a grassy hillside for people to sit and picnic on. A big parking lot nearby. A flat space big enough to pitch a big tent for the band and premium seating. Maybe even have a Ubar nearby.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Mister Moose wrote:
johnny the jibber wrote:a small amphitheater would be a good start...centrally located ON the access rd, could bring some good acts and draw people into town during the spring, summer and fall months. hell it might even provide work for some people in town, but what do i know? wait, havent we heard this some where before?
I agree.

But instead of spending the $ on an ampitheater cold turkey, perhaps there's a spot with a grassy hillside for people to sit and picnic on. A big parking lot nearby. A flat space big enough to pitch a big tent for the band and premium seating. Maybe even have a Ubar nearby.
there was a spot like that...highline would be a good spot also, with the stage pointing uphill. this isnt about the resort though.

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

The summer also requires more work by the Mountain and Town to convince people to visit. In the winter Killington historically had fame from first to open last to close, BMMC and the access road. These items created a buzz that brought people to the area. What buzz has anyone heard of the Golf Courses, Jeep Jamboree, Killington Stage Race etc... All of these items are great things for the community and probably are spoke about by people who partake in those activities. Another more important question to ask by the Town of Killington and Pwdr is what brought people to the mountain. Pwdr needs to realize that the profit margin on some items is not as lucrative as they have it.
As not to hijack this thread see I'll create a new one asking this question.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

FirstScrape wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:Like most towns looking to find income, especially year round, some type of small, out of sight, industry..
A lead smelter would be nice.
Popular also as you could make your own ammunition.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

biged wrote:The summer also requires more work by the Mountain and Town to convince people to visit. In the winter Killington historically had fame from first to open last to close, BMMC and the access road. These items created a buzz that brought people to the area. What buzz has anyone heard of the Golf Courses, Jeep Jamboree, Killington Stage Race etc... All of these items are great things for the community and probably are spoke about by people who partake in those activities. Another more important question to ask by the Town of Killington and Pwdr is what brought people to the mountain. Pwdr needs to realize that the profit margin on some items is not as lucrative as they have it.
As not to hijack this thread see I'll create a new one asking this question.
the jeep jamboree is a closed event where spectating is not encouraged, the stage race does bring people into town and the golf courses seem to do pretty well, especially on the weekends. once late june comes around it is pretty steady up here. lots of conferences midweek as well, wedding parties on the weekends as well...wine fest is good as well...

deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Bubba wrote: 2. Some lower key entertainment venues that go beyond the big three - The Wobbly, The Pickle and The Nightspot or whatever it's called now. A coffee house type venue such as Higher Ground in South Burlington or The Turning Point in Piermont, NY might do ok here. Liquid Art is a step in that direction.
You must be thinking of a different place than Higher Ground. Higher Ground has a capacity of over 700 in the main ballroom. It's as big if not bigger than the Pickle Barrel.

Even their "Showcase Lounge" smaller room there has a capacity of 300.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote:
Bubba wrote: 2. Some lower key entertainment venues that go beyond the big three - The Wobbly, The Pickle and The Nightspot or whatever it's called now. A coffee house type venue such as Higher Ground in South Burlington or The Turning Point in Piermont, NY might do ok here. Liquid Art is a step in that direction.
You must be thinking of a different place than Higher Ground. Higher Ground has a capacity of over 700 in the main ballroom. It's as big if not bigger than the Pickle Barrel.

Even their "Showcase Lounge" smaller room there has a capacity of 300.
I must be...for some reason I thought it was much smaller. Anyway, using The Turning Point as an example, it has a seating capacity of about 75 plus however many can fit around the bar, and they have music every Friday and Saturday night along with a number of weeknights. They get local and national acts, mostly blues, jazz and folk. Granted, it's the NYC suburbs so lots of acts come through the area, but something like that here could work given the proximity of other venues in Hanover, Burlington, Saratoga, etc. For those not familiar with it http://turningpointcafe.com/ Especially in the summer, with the Montreal Jazz Fest and other regional events, some of the smaller, lesser known acts might make a stop here.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thorski
Slalom Racer

Post by thorski »

BoozeTan wrote:Women..Killington needs women...hot women, not Killington hot, actual hot, like Mardi Gras in Springfield, MA hot
This is the truth right here.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

This may be old news - but Park City has Ziplines and a coaster?

http://www.parkcitymountain.com/summer/ ... /zip-lines
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Attachments
crowd.gif
crowd.gif (64.38 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
TheAbominableSnowman
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TheAbominableSnowman »

I think the amphitheater is something the area absolutely needs and would benefit greatly from. whether it’s placed up on the mountain or down on the flats alongside of RT 4 would be a great benefit to all businesses in the area. big-name bands to play that have a following, such as Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews Band etc. it can be marketed not only as just a concert but entire weekend away. the cooler and the Mountain series is a step in the right direction. I think this year with the umbrella bars will make the cooler the Mountain series that much better and hopefully drawer and more people.

I like the idea of the waterpark, is just that a waterpark is big big money. not only just to build, but to operate.

it is true, the town of Killington needs a town. the access road is great and very unique but the town or small village with shops and other things to do other than the current access road activities. Maybe if the village is ever built, this will be accomplished.

One of the things I’ve always thought of is to dredge out and flood the area on RT 4 from the pasta pot down to the skye ship and put in a waterskiing Park. it can be operated by pulley systems connected above. could be very unique and once completed would not cost that much money to operate. but this is Vermont and the tree huggers will probably never allow it. would be pretty cool though.

I know there are a lot of restaurants on the road but it would be nice to have a very unique themed restaurant. I once thought of a really good seafood restaurant placed inside of a couple old tugboats that could be buried in the ground up to their waterline and used as a restaurant building. don’t laugh it’s been done.

I was also thinking of a sports complex, consisting of a world-class gym, lap pools and regular pools indoor and out for people who just want to relax in the water. the complex could also feature sports Pub, full-size indoor basketball court, tennis courts, racquetball courts etc. along with something that Killington really needs a nightclub for teenagers under 18. let’s face it if you’re under 21 in this town and you’re on vacation here there is absolutely nothing for you to do after the lifts shut down. now I know on the busy school vacation weeks the pickle barrel will do and under 21 show which is great but I think a place that is open on weekends and the busy days for people under 21 and under 18 to hang out and mingle with their peers would be great. probably wouldn’t make a lot of money, but if they like it here they will come back and their parents will spend money. the fireside property would be a great location for something like this.

A Carwash? maybe. would be nice not to have to drive to Rutland in the winter to wash the car.

The Peak Lodge. I think this new Peak Lodge will be great for Killington. whether it’s completed this year or next year this will be a big draw to the area during season and off-season. hopefully you’ll attract businesses to do conferences there and the people will stay in our hotels and eat in our restaurants. plus this Lodge is going to be pretty cool for all of us.

Liquid Art solved the coffeehouse problem. It is exactly what Killington needed, a great coffeehouse, Art Gallery, Martini bar, sandwich shop and and somewhat of a restaurant all rolled into one. although I think it’s going to become more of a restaurant in the near future. if you haven’t been to liquid art you should really check it out, Great comfortable place with very friendly people.

Casey’s restaurants: I mean come on. this guy has ruined every restaurant he owns. outback pizza used to be awesome. not to mention a pretty happening spot. he took care of that one. pizza sucks now and is way overpriced and the drinks are overpriced to.
Santa Fe just doesn’t cut it. the food is prepared very good, its just the quality of the food being served does not match the price even with the half-price discount.
Wally’s........ I think I saw a rat run by my table one day.

Casey’s caboose: great bar friendly staff. food has gotten better, but just like Santa Fe it’s not how it’s prepared it’s the quality of the ingredients that are killing. just serve better quality food not the cheapest stuff you can get your hands on.

and that eye sore building across the street from the firehouse of his has got to go. I cannot believe the town has not made him tear that down or fix it up. it really is a disgrace and makes the town look like it’s falling apart.
The Abominable Snowman

I Come from the land of the ice and snow
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

How about hosting a yearly gay parade at the close of the season...or over the summer? These dudes know how to party and will pick up a bunch of hotel rooms, jam the bars and then jam each other. It has the potential for a good economic spike, and I don't mean in the drawers.