EPIC SNOWS DEC 15th to late January.

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wannabeskibum
Bumper

Re: EPIC SNOWS DEC 15th to late January.

Post by wannabeskibum »

Spin & Win wrote:Links to these tasty morsels of information?

Try opensnow.com - they are "skiing" amateur meterologists that really know their stuff.

The Colorado forecaster (Joel Gratz) is one of the best for that region and Bryan has Lake Tahoe covered. There is also a guy covering the East Coast.
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Hell it was on the local news today at lunch, channel 7 Boston. New pattern coming in next week that sets up for noreasters. Not that it will be snowy, but a blocking high will set up over Greenland forcing the jet stream to dip south over the continental US and ride up the east coast while allowing cold air to sink into the northeast from Canada. Storms will be east of us, leaving us on the cold side of the storms. So, if and when they come, they come white and they come with moisture and energy from the south. Very favorable pattern, but still not a guarantee. Let's see what next Sunday/Monday brings...
ImageImageImageImage
Cutback
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Cutback »

Kzone has some very educated weather consumers. I was impressed when someone posted a chart showing a very strong low pressure system we now know as Sandy about five days before it came ashore on coastal NJ. I had seen a swell forecast in FL also about five days out in the future for the same storm off the treasure/space coast.

Who has good sources for weather prediction? Longer term models are getting more sophisticated all the time.

I have been following the Single Chair Weather blog with great interest in ski season for several years. It provides a very informed skier's weather forecast for central VT.

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

Any other good ski/snow forecasting sources other than the usual accuweather, nws, weather underground, and weather.com sites which tend to water down the details not not do a very good job of educated guessing these big events?
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

Cutback wrote:Kzone has some very educated weather consumers. I was impressed when someone posted a chart showing a very strong low pressure system we now know as Sandy about five days before it came ashore on coastal NJ. I had seen a swell forecast in FL also about five days out in the future for the same storm off the treasure/space coast.

Who has good sources for weather prediction? Longer term models are getting more sophisticated all the time.

I have been following the Single Chair Weather blog with great interest in ski season for several years. It provides a very informed skier's weather forecast for central VT.

Any other good ski/snow forecasting sources other than the usual accuweather, nws, weather underground, and weather.com sites which tend to water down the details not not do a very good job of educated guessing these big events?
As I mentioned in the above post - Opensnow.com -
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

They are still working on the new web-site so it hasn't been to accurate yet this year. In the past this site was very accurate & I'm sure it will be again once they get the bugs out of the new web-site & concentrate on forecasting weather. http://www.snowcountry.com/
Devils Fiddle
Black Carver

Post by Devils Fiddle »

Try this again.

Morsals:

http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/201 ... _ne_25.png

http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/201 ... _ne_39.png

I am no weather god but those are some intense colors man. Really colorful whatever they actually mean is another story. :wink:
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Cutback wrote:Kzone has some very educated weather consumers. I was impressed when someone posted a chart showing a very strong low pressure system we now know as Sandy about five days before it came ashore on coastal NJ. I had seen a swell forecast in FL also about five days out in the future for the same storm off the treasure/space coast.

I follow the single chair weather blog as well but get the feeling he forecasts to the optimistic side of things quite often.

I like Lionel Hutz's analysis at FamousInternetSkiers. I just wish the updates would be more frequent.

On the low end of the scale is "snow-forecast.com" and the guy on here that calls himself the weather god. The latter more because of his delivery. He may know a quite a bit about weather but comes across as an ass when he posts.
Cutback
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Cutback »

Yup - I agree about the Single Chair Weather blog being optimistic. There are a bunch of predictive models and bunch of views on the weather - some are more accurate than others. The 3-5 day out hurricane forecasts have been surprisingly good over the past several years. I am always looking to be well informed on weather before jumping in the car for the 8 hour drive to VT. Wouldn't want to waste a day or two off of work for a "might snow two feet" but if the models all agree and it looks like a pretty sure thing then I am willing to risk it for a powda day. Also have found a few "sneaker" storms were pretty easy to guess. Examples - carefully watching the weather system coming on national radar (larger moisture masses if they just hit the local area right and vice versa if they are missing) and it appears to me Killington gets a pretty good benefit of a little extra snow from very strong west wind or WNW systems (versus NW).