Small town speed limits

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Which town has the most ridiculous speed limit policy/enforcement?

Chester
17%
Ludlow
3%
Plymouth
22%
Killington
No votes
Bridgewater
58%

Total votes: 36

Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Small town speed limits

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

Only collected one ticket in my lifetime but the cop was a total jerk about it. How slow do they think you need to go to be safe? Seems like just a way to collect out of state revenues for towns that don't get enough money by other means?

Also... anyone want to claim the record for most small town Vermont speeding tickets?
Ski the edges!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Small town speed limits

Post by Stormchaser »

Hard to choose between some of them, but the 25mph speed limit in Chester is tough. I need to use engine gears to go slow enough!

Fortunately, knowing the spots helps...
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Chester is bad if you stay on Rt. 11, 25 MPH through almost the entire town. Lucky if you go 103 it goes back to 30, and if you keep it under 35 no problem. Ludlow is about the same; although, locals have it in for the cop there 'cause he doesn't distinguish between local and out of state.

Bridgewater to quechy is crazy with 25 to 50 back to 30 back to 40 back down to 25. Sheriff and cops lay in wait all along Rt. 4. So far in my time in VT, only one speeding ticket and that was way down in Bennington, long long ago.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Terrapin Station
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Terrapin Station »

The local cops do love to see those cars and trucks with Jersey plates going 39 mph through town.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Wallingford enforcement on Route 7 is pretty dependable. I set the cruise at 30 and suck it up - not worth the risk.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Been here since 1978 no speeding tickets at all. If you getting tickets you're not paying attention to your driving. The enforcement keeps my property taxes low.

That being said there are some nice roads and on a nice spring or fall day I sometimes exceed the speed limit....sometimes by twice. Wrong but if I'm caught I'll pay the price.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

spanky wrote:Wallingford enforcement on Route 7 is pretty dependable. I set the cruise at 30 and suck it up - not worth the risk.
I've never had a problem in Walliingsford. I do follow the 30mph speed limit though. The only place I've ever seen a speed trap is on the 40mph ramp just before getting into town from the south & that was years ago. I've never seen one in the town itself. Mt. Tabor just to the south is another story though with it's 45mph speed limit. The local sheriff is out just about everytime I drive through it seems. Usually with someone already pulled over. Sometimes you have to be careful going through Emerald Lake also but not to often. The new thing this year is there's usually a state trooper hanging out just at the beginning/end (depending which way you're driving) of the new rt. 7 in Danby. Just a heads up to those who haven't seen this yet. I know most of you are talking about coming to K from the east but coming from the south up rt. 7 from Bennington is the route I most often use.

The cop/sheriff that used to hang out in Mendon (across from Sugar & Spice) seems to have moved up the road further to the east this year.
skibumetteone
Blue Chatterbox

Post by skibumetteone »

I know the plymouth cops well. Will now stop you at 4 miles over.
ski life to the fullest
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

skibumetteone wrote:I know the plymouth cops well. Will now stop you at 4 miles over.
If you go anywhere near the posted limit in Plymouth, especially near the Salt Ash Inn, you are crazy.

The signs are there, obey them.

I've had people pass me in front of the old general store/camp ground. The sheriff is just waiting for those fools.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

steamboat1 wrote:
spanky wrote:Wallingford enforcement on Route 7 is pretty dependable. I set the cruise at 30 and suck it up - not worth the risk.
I've never had a problem in Walliingsford. I do follow the 30mph speed limit though. The only place I've ever seen a speed trap is on the 40mph ramp just before getting into town from the south & that was years ago. I've never seen one in the town itself. Mt. Tabor just to the south is another story though with it's 45mph speed limit. The local sheriff is out just about everytime I drive through it seems. Usually with someone already pulled over. Sometimes you have to be careful going through Emerald Lake also but not to often. The new thing this year is there's usually a state trooper hanging out just at the beginning/end (depending which way you're driving) of the new rt. 7 in Danby. Just a heads up to those who haven't seen this yet. I know most of you are talking about coming to K from the east but coming from the south up rt. 7 from Bennington is the route I most often use.

The cop/sheriff that used to hang out in Mendon (across from Sugar & Spice) seems to have moved up the road further to the east this year.
Was nabbed headed east on 4 in front of Pico last year. With CASES and CASES of beer winnings in the back seat of the truck. I got no sympathy. Another spot for cruise control...
ImageImageImageImage
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

SnoBrdr wrote:
skibumetteone wrote:I know the plymouth cops well. Will now stop you at 4 miles over.
If you go anywhere near the posted limit in Plymouth, especially near the Salt Ash Inn, you are crazy.

The signs are there, obey them.goes for all the small towns, poke through til ya hit the fitty mph signs...

I've had people pass me in front of the old general store/camp ground. The sheriff is just waiting for those fools.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

If the speed limit is 50 you can safely do 60 and never be bothered. if its 35 or under you better be doing 35 or under.....if you come up here enough, you already know where the cops are....
also if you dont already have the waze app go get it. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and it has saved my ass at least 3 times already....and if you are coming thru ludlow, you may be tempted to take that right fork at the gazebo just before you hit the center of ludlow. Dont do it. Sign clearly says no thru traffic and I have seen the cop sitting at the end of that road more than once
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

steamboat1 wrote:

I had a Prius with PA plates blow my doors off on Route 7S just as I was approaching Wallingford a couple of weeks ago. I slowed down each time the limit dropped and sure enough, as I got to the south end of town, the local constable had the guy pulled over.

Yeah, Mt. Tabor is bad too. Especially that abandoned gas station on the southbound side. On more than one occasion, I've seen a dilapidated unmarked car parked next to the pumps targeting both northbound and southbound traffic. Sometimes I see the cop stopped in that "rest area" right near Emerald Lake - but that's usually a trooper.

Route 7 in Danby? You mean Dorset right? Again, a couple of weeks ago, I saw two troopers had pulled over a couple of unscrupulous looking characters (just south of the RR crossing) and had them out of the car leaning against the patrol car while their car was being searched. You can only assume they were searching for drugs.

Route 7 just as it enters/leaves Bennington is usually pretty dependable for a cop sighting on a 10% probability (Friday nights and Sunday afternoons).
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Bridgewater has a 25 MPH speed limit in front of the school, 24/7. Why not a flashing light and lower the limit from 35 to 25 during school hours in which kids would be present? 7 AM on a Sunday does not require a Sherriff to enforce it unless it is to fatten the town coffers.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Big Bob wrote:Bridgewater has a 25 MPH speed limit in front of the school, 24/7. Why not a flashing light and lower the limit from 35 to 25 during school hours in which kids would be present? 7 AM on a Sunday does not require a Sherriff to enforce it unless it is to fatten the town coffers.
Why else do you thikn the deputy is there?

He's only there to make cash for the county and the town.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.