Tony Dungy on Drafting Michael Sam

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
Bubba
Site Admin

Tony Dungy on Drafting Michael Sam

Post by Bubba »

"I wouldn't have taken him,'' Dungy told the Tribune. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it … It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-dungy ... 16393.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discuss...
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Tony Dungy on Drafting Michael Sam

Post by Stormchaser »

Bubba wrote:"I wouldn't have taken him,'' Dungy told the Tribune. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it … It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-dungy ... 16393.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discuss...

For a guy who has reached out repeatedly to NFL players with troubles, one has to question if his religious beliefs are the root cause of his sentiment...
ImageImageImageImage
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Stormchaser wrote:
Bubba wrote:"I wouldn't have taken him,'' Dungy told the Tribune. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it … It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.''

Discuss...

For a guy who has reached out repeatedly to NFL players with troubles, one has to question if his religious beliefs are the root cause of his sentiment...
Of course they are but he has been backing off his stance today. http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/22/tony-d ... m-comments

People have to realize that if you make any comment or take any action that isn't 100% in support of the LGBT( was that right) community, you will be attacked, they will try to get you fired.

You will become a pariah and all will shun you.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Dungy is totally right. Why would you draft a player you know is going to be a distracting media circus for the first year? If he's still in the league, this will be met with a resounding yawn a few years from now but until at least midseason this year, it's going to be distracting.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Geoff wrote:Dungy is totally right. Why would you draft a player you know is going to be a distracting media circus for the first year? If he's still in the league, this will be met with a resounding yawn a few years from now but until at least midseason this year, it's going to be distracting.
Cue Branch Rickey for a response...
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:
Geoff wrote:Dungy is totally right. Why would you draft a player you know is going to be a distracting media circus for the first year? If he's still in the league, this will be met with a resounding yawn a few years from now but until at least midseason this year, it's going to be distracting.

Big, big, big difference here.

JR had obvious talent, Sam does not.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
wanderer7453
Bumper

Post by wanderer7453 »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

Discuss...

Of course they are but he has been backing off his stance today. http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/22/tony-d ... m-comments

People have to realize that if you make any comment or take any action that isn't 100% in support of the LGBT( was that right) community, you will be attacked, they will try to get you fired.

So he says its all about the distraction. He is full of it. Was Mike Vick not a distraction his first year with the Eagles, but the righteous Tony was his biggest backer. Tony can... uhoh wait that is against his religion!
You will become a pariah and all will shun you.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

It's difficult to put Sam in the same sentence as Dungy nevermind in the same League. Dungy played for 4 years and coached for 12 and also won a Super Bowl ! He knows football , he knows the NFL and I'll take what he say's to the Bank !
Michael Sam on the other hand will probably be a flash in the pan known more for being GAY than anything else. His grade after the Senior Bowl was this >>>>> "Sam struggled this week. He's a thick 260 pounds, especially in his legs. This week Sam didn't get to show off his best asset, which is rushing the passer. In space, he looked uncomfortable. A team that drafts him as a linebacker will have to put in a lot of work."
I'd like to have a microphone in those piles on the field ...... if you think the Miami Dolphins Johnathon Martin saga was entertaining to say the least then stay tuned ! I think that is the type of circus that Dungy was saying he would of avoided by not drafting Sam but ironically by saying what he said it put him front/center on the issue .
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Atomic1 wrote:It's difficult to put Sam in the same sentence as Dungy nevermind in the same League. Dungy played for 4 years and coached for 12 and also won a Super Bowl ! He knows football , he knows the NFL and I'll take what he say's to the Bank !
Michael Sam on the other hand will probably be a flash in the pan known more for being GAY than anything else. His grade after the Senior Bowl was this >>>>> "Sam struggled this week. He's a thick 260 pounds, especially in his legs. This week Sam didn't get to show off his best asset, which is rushing the passer. In space, he looked uncomfortable. A team that drafts him as a linebacker will have to put in a lot of work."
I'd like to have a microphone in those piles on the field ...... if you think the Miami Dolphins Johnathon Martin saga was entertaining to say the least then stay tuned ! I think that is the type of circus that Dungy was saying he would of avoided by not drafting Sam but ironically by saying what he said it put him front/center on the issue .
"would have"
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Big, big, big difference here.

JR had obvious talent, Sam does not.
The other obvious big difference is that, statistically, there are likely already a crap-load of gay players in the NFL. David Kopay played in the NFL as a running back from 1964 to 1972. He came out in 1975 after he retired. It's not like the NFL doesn't have gay players. What NFL coach is going to want to risk a Richie Incognito-style incident drafting an out of the closet gay player unless they're an obvious first round superstar pick? The NFL is all about winning now and nobody is going to want to take on the distraction.