Luggage forward

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Big Rich
Beginner On Rentals

Luggage forward

Post by Big Rich »

Going to Steamboat in February, Has anyone used Luggage forward instead of checking your skis at the airport?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Luggage forward

Post by SnoBrdr »

Big Rich wrote:Going to Steamboat in February, Has anyone used Luggage forward instead of checking your skis at the airport?
No but did you ever think that you could rent the newest model of whatever, cheaper than you can bring your own.

Just a thought,
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Big Rich
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Big Rich »

We are renting powder skis if it dumps but bringing our all mountain skis. Weighing all our options but want to know about this service and it's pros / cons
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Ship them to the hotel yourself via UPS.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Big Rich
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Big Rich »

Heard not too nice things about UPS ... Family trip and we rented a house slope side... Steamboat's website said either hotel, lodge, or private rental your skis will be waiting for you backed up with a $500 reimbursement garranty.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Used UPS last year to go to SLC. Packed and shipped from Rutland for just over $100 in 2 separate boxes. Friend shipped them back for us, packed and shipped for $62 in one box and they arrived in time for the following weekend of skiing. Worked out very well if you have a place to ship them to.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

I use FEDEX ground shipped to my hotel. I wrap skis in bubble wrap and use a regular ski bag. I put a duffel bag in a cardboard box. I carry my boots on the plane. I've also shipped directly to Deer Valley and everything is sitting there at the Snow Park Lodge. They give you a comp lift ticket for the day if you take a morning flight and show them your boarding pass.
Keithus
Slalom Racer

Post by Keithus »

Geoff is wise; no matter what else you do, bring your boots on the plane.
You can always rent or demo HQ boards, but if you don't have your own nice broken in boots you'll be squashing your feet into some random hunks of plastic.
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

Big Rich wrote:Going to Steamboat in February, Has anyone used Luggage forward instead of checking your skis at the airport?
USPS at the bottom of the access road is cheapest by far (I think around $30 to ship ground to the PO near Winter Park). If you're staying with friends or at a resort, you can usually ship right to them. USPS has always been very helpful and friendly to me. Get a box from one of the local shops.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

ejrides wrote:
USPS at the bottom of the access road is cheapest by far (I think around $30 to ship ground to the PO near Winter Park). If you're staying with friends or at a resort, you can usually ship right to them. USPS has always been very helpful and friendly to me. Get a box from one of the local shops.
When was this?

I just did a test on the USPS site for a box 75 x 8 high x 12 wide at 5 lbs amd it was $114.

I figured that would be for one pair of 170 cm skis.

That was from K to Steamboat Springs by ground.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Geoff wrote:I use FEDEX ground shipped to my hotel. I wrap skis in bubble wrap and use a regular ski bag. I put a duffel bag in a cardboard box. I carry my boots on the plane. I've also shipped directly to Deer Valley and everything is sitting there at the Snow Park Lodge. They give you a comp lift ticket for the day if you take a morning flight and show them your boarding pass.
Did you see Twiggy as the ski and equipment vale?

On the USPS post, have you actually shipped skis? They usually have a very strict size limit in length and cubic feet along with weight.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

SnoBrdr wrote:
ejrides wrote:
When was this?

I just did a test on the USPS site for a box 75 x 8 high x 12 wide at 5 lbs amd it was $114.

I figured that would be for one pair of 170 cm skis.

That was from K to Steamboat Springs by ground.
I've done it the past 2 years with snowboards and skis. I think the problem you are having is with the dimensions of your box. It should probably be only about 3 or 4 high, and maybe 8 wide. That will drop the price dramatically. There is some combination of L+W+H that you need to stay under.
bigguyontwosticks
Beginner On Rentals

Post by bigguyontwosticks »

The formula for determining Dimensional Weight with UPS/FedEx is Length x Width x Height if that result is over 5184 then you divide that value by 166. The result of that will give you the minimum weight that that package will ship at. Starting December 29 2014 all packages will be subject to Dimensional Weight,not just the ones that are over the 5184.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

I have purchased skis with bindings mounted on line and the shipping has been pretty reasonable, $25 or $35. Unless the seller is subsidizing, no way to know that. Sometimes they show you the charts for figuring out mileage to your region and the rates vary but are pretty low.

As far as renting at the ski area vs. shipping - typical daily rates for performance higher end skis run from $35 to $45 a day. Five days rental is way more than shipping. I have paid $25 each way for extra items, so at $50 total plus the hassle of dragging your ski bag around, the rental gets a little more attractive.

Shipping my own setup for cheap is a nice option, but don't forget how to get them home - you need to box them again. Much rather use my own skis if they are appropriate for what you will be skiing.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

da Pimp wrote:I have purchased skis with bindings mounted on line and the shipping has been pretty reasonable, $25 or $35. Unless the seller is subsidizing, no way to know that. Sometimes they show you the charts for figuring out mileage to your region and the rates vary but are pretty low.

As far as renting at the ski area vs. shipping - typical daily rates for performance higher end skis run from $35 to $45 a day. Five days rental is way more than shipping. I have paid $25 each way for extra items, so at $50 total plus the hassle of dragging your ski bag around, the rental gets a little more attractive.

Shipping my own setup for cheap is a nice option, but don't forget how to get them home - you need to box them again. Much rather use my own skis if they are appropriate for what you will be skiing.
Where can you find a box or do you have to make one ?