Yanks officially eliminated ,Jeter might sit

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Yanks officially eliminated ,Jeter might sit

Post by Atomic1 »

If Jeter decides to sit out this weekend it would come as quite a blow to fans who bought tickets to see his final games in Boston. Currently, the average ticket price for Sunday's game at Fenway is a whopping $533, and the cheapest seat in the house right now is $250. And the highest listed ticket price is $10,400 for a box seat behind the dugout, according to TiqIQ.com. ! With the Yanks officially eliminated from the playoffs Jeter said he may sit this weekend out !
I must say that in my mind I lose a bit of respect for him if he "quits " on his last few games !
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Re: Yanks officially eliminated ,Jeter might sit

Post by BoozeTan »

I think he will play this weekend, but I dont blame him if he wants his final game to be at Yankee Stadium. Part of me wants his career to end in the Bronx, but part of me thinks it would be super cool to hear the entire Fenway crowd doing the DEREK JETER chant. Either way, baseball will not be the same next season. The face of baseball will no longer be playing
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Tonights game will most likely be cancelled due to the weather, so the last game could HAVE already been played in NY. But he owes it to baseball and the Boston fans to play this weekend in Boston !
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Atomic1 wrote:Tonights game will most likely be cancelled due to the weather, so the last game could HAVE already been played in NY. But he owes it to baseball and the Boston fans to play this weekend in Boston !
They Should cancel tonight's game and then play it Monday. That would give the home fans the last hurrah. It will be a day off for Baltimore as the Wild cards play it out.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Dickc wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:Tonights game will most likely be cancelled due to the weather, so the last game could HAVE already been played in NY. But he owes it to baseball and the Boston fans to play this weekend in Boston !
They Should cancel tonight's game and then play it Monday. That would give the home fans the last hurrah. It will be a day off for Baltimore as the Wild cards play it out.
Except the game is against the O's who are going to the playoffs. That would be a serious distraction playing the extra day.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Well Atomic, looks like Jeter will play at Fenway this weekend as DH, so no he did not "quit" as you said and as your Sox did at the trade deadline..... :D
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

Atomic1 wrote:But he owes it to baseball and the Boston fans to play this weekend in Boston !
I disagree with this. Jeter doesn't owe anything to anyone. He has given us 20+ years of an awesome career. As a "fan" his decision should be respected.
I agree with Boozetan, last night's game was a great and magical ending. I don't blame him if he wants to leave his shortstop career at last night's game. And yes, on the other hand I think it would be great to see him play this weekend. My feeling is that he will. We may just see him at bat, but I think he will play this weekend.
Jeter "owing" it to baseball and the Boston fans (or any other fans)?..... Nope.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

BoozeTan wrote:Either way, baseball will not be the same next season. The face of baseball will no longer be playing
What do you mean? ARod will be back playing shortstop.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Skibumtress wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:But he owes it to baseball and the Boston fans to play this weekend in Boston !
I disagree with this. Jeter doesn't owe anything to anyone. He has given us 20+ years of an awesome career. As a "fan" his decision should be respected.
I agree with Boozetan, last night's game was a great and magical ending. I don't blame him if he wants to leave his shortstop career at last night's game. And yes, on the other hand I think it would be great to see him play this weekend. My feeling is that he will. We may just see him at bat but I think he will play this weekend.
But him "owing" it to baseball and the Boston fans..... nope.
Actually, having set up the traveling circus by announcing his retirement so far in advance, I think he DOES owe it to the Boston fans and to baseball to play the final games this weekend. Boston fans have paid a lot of money in some cases for tickets and they deserve his playing time.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

Bubba wrote:
Skibumtress wrote:
I agree with Boozetan, last night's game was a great and magical ending. I don't blame him if he wants to leave his shortstop career at last night's game. And yes, on the other hand I think it would be great to see him play this weekend. My feeling is that he will. We may just see him at bat but I think he will play this weekend.
Actually, having set up the traveling circus by announcing his retirement so far in advance, I think he DOES owe it to the Boston fans and to baseball to play the final games this weekend. Boston fans have paid a lot of money in some cases for tickets and they deserve his playing time.
But who charged "a lot of money" for the tickets? Fenway? Ticketmaster? When the tickets went on sale for these games, did Fenway advertise "Come See Jeter Play his Last Games"? His retirement was announced, not his last game(s).
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Skibumtress wrote:
Bubba wrote:
Skibumtress wrote:
But who charged "a lot of money" for the tickets? Fenway? Ticketmaster? When the tickets went on sale for these games, did Fenway advertise "Come See Jeter Play his Last Games"? His retirement was announced, not his last game(s).
Irrelevant who charged the high prices. Fans assume that players will play unless injured.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Bubba wrote:
Irrelevant who charged the high prices. Fans assume that players will play unless injured.
I would tend to agree except that Mo set the precedent of not playing after the final games in the Bronx. That is the reason I didnt buy tix for the last series at Fenway just on the chance that Jeter decided to do the same thing and end his career at the Stadium
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

BoozeTan wrote:
Bubba wrote:
I would tend to agree except that Mo set the precedent of not playing after the final games in the Bronx. That is the reason I didnt buy tix for the last series at Fenway just on the chance that Jeter decided to do the same thing and end his career at the Stadium
Forgot about Mo but, as a relief pitcher, he didn't play every day anyway. I understand Jeter only DHing but to not play at all would, at least in my opinion, be wrong.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Meanwhile, the village of Cooperstown is already thinking about Mo's likely induction in 2019 and Jeter's likely induction in 2020.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 52252.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Bubba wrote:
Forgot about Mo but, as a relief pitcher, he didn't play every day anyway. I understand Jeter only DHing but to not play at all would, at least in my opinion, be wrong.

and as he said last night, he will DH out of respect for the fans, the rivalry and the game itself...Jeter, class till the end