Ski Boots

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

bbski
Green Skidder

Ski Boots

Post by bbski »

Has anyone skied the Fisher Vacuum or the Strolz custom boots? How is the fit and is it worth the extra cash?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Ski Boots

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I hope you plan on trying these boots on before buying. You should get boots that fit your feet perfectly. A good boot fitter will help you with that. I don't know either of those boots that you are talking about so cannot offer any advice on them.
bbski
Green Skidder

Post by bbski »

Because both boots promise a custom fit, I was interested if anyone had gone through the process and their opinions of the fit. I know a number of people that have tried Surefoot and have not been happy.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

I'm a fan of intution and thermoflex liners, if you can find someone to fit you in them properly.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

Highway Star wrote:I'm a fan of intution and thermoflex liners, if you can find someone to fit you in them properly.
There was a store in Shops at the Shack last season selling and fitting Intuition liners. I was going to give them a try this season.
Talisman
Black Carver

Post by Talisman »

bbski wrote:Has anyone skied the Fisher Vacuum or the Strolz custom boots? How is the fit and is it worth the extra cash?
I have been using Strolz boots for about 15 years and am on my 3rd pair. The fit is 100% custom on the leather liners, cork insoles and there is a choice of boot shells stiffness. For me fit and warmth Strolz boots is worth the investment of a few more dollars and the time to have them fitted. Strand's in Worcester does a good job of fitting and stand behind their work. Be aware that Strand's is a little rough around the edges, but the Michelson (sp?) brothers know boot fitting.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

tyrolean_skier wrote:I hope you plan on trying these boots on before buying. You should get boots that fit your feet perfectly. A good boot fitter will help you with that. I don't know either of those boots that you are talking about so cannot offer any advice on them.
How long do you have to wear them to know they will feel right for you.

I know you can have them customized but is that included in the price?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Highway Star wrote:I'm a fan of intution and thermoflex liners, if you can find someone to fit you in them properly.
What constitutes a proper fit?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
SuzyQ
Bumper

Post by SuzyQ »

bbski wrote:Because both boots promise a custom fit, I was interested if anyone had gone through the process and their opinions of the fit. I know a number of people that have tried Surefoot and have not been happy.

I got boots at sure foot and my feet were killing me. Then I went to my local ski shop in canton MA and paid like $300 and was very happy, so go figure. :banana:
Big Rich
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Big Rich »

I bought Soloman 120's @ Rogers near Loon NH but had them blown out @ the boot pro in Ludlow (Okemo).. From now on I will buy my boots from the boot pro in Ludlow.. They spent over the top time getting them to fit just right. Next boot purchase will be from these folks !!
SuzyQ
Bumper

Post by SuzyQ »

Big Rich wrote:I bought Soloman 120's @ Rogers near Loon NH but had them blown out @ the boot pro in Ludlow (Okemo).. From now on I will buy my boots from the boot pro in Ludlow.. They spent over the top time getting them to fit just right. Next boot purchase will be from these folks !!

Rodgers is a great shop and I always try to stop in there when I am at Loon.

:like
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

There were quite a few problems with fitting the Vacuum boot the first season. Things may have gotten better as the shops have more experience with it. Here's an excellent thread on the boot.

http://www.epicski.com/t/111816/live-fr ... uum-thread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bbski
Green Skidder

Post by bbski »

My current Lang boots have zip fit liners which I really like. A good boot fit to me is when you don't have to run back to the boot shop to have the boots stretched or grinding out because your feet are ready to fall off. My old Langs have canted heals that just screwed on. Does anybody still do that or do modern day boots have other adjustments that can adjust canting?
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Stretching, grinding, screw on parts, vacuum, blowing out, $300+ for customization, etc... :-x :dislike

After reading this I'm sooooo glad I converted to snowboarding! :like :D :lol:
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I have the Fisher Vacuum fit Ranger from the second year they came out. I've used them for 2 seasons (this being the 3rd starting soon) and they are still fitting very good. Obviously there is some packout in the lining, but not very much. My local shop here in PA has a very good fitter, and I would say he did a good job on these for me.

The heat not only the inner shell, but the otter shell as well. Then while everything is still warm you put the boots on, lace up the inner liner and strap on the boot. Then they put a vacuum "glove"
over the boot and it applies compressive pressure around the boot to fit your feet.

Worth the money IMO.