State Police out to destroy the Killington Economy again

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Coydog
Guru Poster

Re: State Police out to destroy the Killington Economy again

Post by Coydog »

FWIW, Vermont’s "implied consent" law states that anybody operating or attempting to operate a vehicle on a highway is deemed to have given consent to a breath or blood evidentiary test IF the officer has "reasonable grounds" to believe that person is OUI (usually 0.08 blood alcohol concentration).

So if applied fairly at a DUI checkpoint where everyone is stopped uniformly, the cop must make some reasonable judgement by observation that a person is over the limit before requiring a breath test and not simply that someone consumed a drink or two.

The Vermont troopers I’ve encountered have always acted reasonably towards me, but if you are stopped and concerned, consider recording the stop on your cell phone.

This is a very tough problem at a resort area. There could possibly be a revenue generation motivation behind a checkpoint, but then again far too many people die due to DUI accidents particularly around the holidays. And as pointed out, far too many die because the other guy was DUI.

In any case, be advised that checkpoints have been recently observed on or near the Access Road. Know the law and know your rights.

23 V.S.A. § 1201 Operating vehicle under the influence of intoxicating liquor or other substance; criminal refusal; enhanced penalty for BAC of 0.16 or more

23 V.S.A. § 1202 Consent to taking of tests to determine blood alcohol content
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Holiday Traffic Safety Enforcement Program announced

To ensure Vermont highways remain safe, the Vermont State Police is participating in the National Highway Traffic Safety Campaign that began on Dec. 10 and runs until Jan. 1, 2015. Vermont has experienced 42 traffic fatalities in 2014. Of those traffic fatalities, four operators were impaired by alcohol and six by drugs; most commonly marijuana. Additionally, 44 percent of the occupants were unbelted/improperly restrained/no helmet.

“By using high visibility enforcement coupled with education, we will promote both our citizens and visitors to drive responsibly on our highways during the upcoming weekend and throughout the holiday season,” the VSP stated.

The Vermont State Police priority remains focused on occupant protection, as well as impaired and aggressive driving; which will be accomplished through organized data driven patrols and checkpoints. Traffic enforcement is a critical mission to the VSP and remains the single most effective tool in saving lives and detecting and deterring criminal activity.

For more information visit highwaysafety.vermont.gov/.

http://mountaintimes.info/holiday-traff ... announced/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
colchskier81
Beginner On Rentals

Post by colchskier81 »

The VSP tells you they are stepping up enforcement and checkpoints, and you whine about it? Here's a novel idea, don't drink and drive, especially during gaper season.
SuzyQ
Bumper

Post by SuzyQ »

I agree if the cops save 1 life it's worth it. The life they save could be your own.
jim.cleary
Blue Chatterbox

Post by jim.cleary »

Sound like things have changed a lot since my ski house days. I recall a single officer in an SUV parked in a lot below the pickle (firehouse perhaps?), usually on weekend nights. It was pretty common knowledge that as long as you lived on the mountain, and stayed above that spot, you were safe from DUI patrol on the access road. But the snow filled ditches on the shoulders of Ravine and Roaring Brook were not safe, as spotting abandoned and stuck cars on Sunday morning that had spun out of control on Saturday night were a regular occurrence. But I don't know about the VSP presence destroying the local economy. NJ State Police have been running checkpoints in touristy shore towns for decades and it doesn't seem to keep people from going out at night, or visiting.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Dick heads
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

In the summer they had the spot check on route 7 in rutland when the state had the summer program.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

Its no secret the VSP are out on the Access Rd any given night of the week during ski season, not so much during the summer but they are still around. Plan ahead, call a cab, a shuttle, figure out a DD or walk. Walking is key especially if you're in the vicinity of Dean Hill Rd.
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

johnny the jibber wrote:Walking is key especially if you're in the vicinity of Dean Hill Rd.
Didn't someone get killed walking on the access road last year? Kinda ironic no?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Woodsrider wrote:
johnny the jibber wrote:Walking is key especially if you're in the vicinity of Dean Hill Rd.
Didn't someone get killed walking on the access road last year? Kinda ironic no?
Yes and alcohol was involved with both the driver and the pedestrian.

Use the shuttles.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

Use the sidewalk along the access rd...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
pepperdawg
Black Carver

Post by pepperdawg »

Call da DIS for a ride!
-Woof
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

pepperdawg wrote:Call da DIS for a ride!
really?....BUTT THAT'S.....285 MILES...each way!.........CHRIST ITS QUIET WITH THAT SHORT STATURED FOOL MISSING
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Don't get drunk or speed and you'll be just fine. This isn't a hard concept to grasp? We come up year round and never have a problem with cops, state troopers, sheriff, national guard, navy seals, Dirty Harry, Barney Fife, etc... :?
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

So you want to speed in my Patrol Zone...
Attachments
Harry.jpg
Harry.jpg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 504 times