So glad I pulled the trigger on Utah!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Cityskier
Wanted Poster

So glad I pulled the trigger on Utah!

Post by Cityskier »

WOW what a trip! Little Cottonwood Canyon was amazing. I know I didn't get to sample any of that world famous Utah powdah, but it was supreme spring skiing. We spent most of our first day at Snowbird in Mineral Basin. Temps were probably in the 50s and there was corn aplenty. We alternated the corn runs with some fast groomed tracks off the Baldy Express Quad to give our legs a break. I even abandoned my single planked friends to check out Alta. What an amazing place!

Day two was a little cooler and the front-side of the 'bird firmed up. Spent most of the morning on groomed terain while the snow softened. Boy was it fast up top! Wide open packed powder runs with no people. I almost forgot how fun it was to go fast when you have entire trails to yourself. Had quite a blow up that I wish was caught on film. Right leg is a little sore, but I'll live to fight another battle.

Sunday was warmer and the soft snow returned. We split most of our time between Mineral Basin and the Lower Gad Valley runs. When the gas tank was empty we cruised up the hill to have some beers with the folks celebrating Alta's last day. Good times.

Unfortunatelty it was the red-eye back last night and straight to work today. But what a way to end the season!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Thanks for the trip report Citiskier. Glad to hear you had a grand time. I had a great time at K this weekend also. Sunny days and you definitely needed the suntan lotion to keep from burning. I forgot one spot and now it is a bit red there. We had the soft corn snow as well and thanks to some fellow K-zoners I got to enjoy doing the runs at Bear. I can't believe how much snow is still over there and it is closed. Got to ski OL twice yesterday and I must say I did better at skiing the moguls yesterday on that run than at any other time of the season. I did the Fiddle, OL and Bear Trap/Bear Claw on Saturday. Also enjoyed skiing Vertigo, Ovation, Highline and some others. I was skiing with Capboy, Pedro, Pedro's girlfriend E, Capboy's friend F, Spanky, Dr. No, SBF and Tricks and I had to keep up as best as I could. Some of these guys rock in the bumps.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

It's pretty amazing out there....they closed down Alta with a 160" base! All the Park City resorts are closed with well over 100" bases and the BCC resorts closed yesterday as well with tons of snow. The locals said Snowbird would be open until Memorial Day and then on weekends into June and beyond. One of the locals told us that this is the most snow they have had on the graound this late in the sppring since 1983.

I'll post some pics later if anyone cares.