Knees hurt--Bike related

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

Make sure you are not pedaling too hard. You should be in a gear that enables you to pedal at about 80-90 rpm. If you're really cranking the pedals hard you are in the wrong gear and that is not good for your knees.

You're in good shape from skiing and you shouldn't feel too much pain from cycling now. Cycling really uses your quads, but yours should be in good shape after a winter of skiing. Also check the height of the seat as others have mentioned. Your leg when fully extended should not be totally straight but still have a little bend left in it. Maybe go to a bike shop and see if they can help you out.

If you get into cycling you might consider getting clipless pedals too. They are not at all "clipless" but that's what they are called. They are like bindings on skis and they keep your foot in the right spot for pedaling and also let you both push and pull when you pedal. It takes a little practice to always remember to clip out when you stop, and everyone sooner or later forgets and of course you then fall over!

The best thing to do is to cycle regularly and get all the cycling specific muscles in shape.
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by snowsprite on Apr 25th, '05, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
I like wine.
gravitylover
Green Skidder

Post by gravitylover »

andyzee wrote:
gravitylover wrote:Sprite,
Bring the bike and come visit me at my shop this weekend and I'll go through it with you. There are a lot of different factors that come into play as has been written in this thread and we can work it out so it's right for you. Since I am closing the shop at the end of the month don't wait too long. You may also find some "deals" on both summer and winter stuff that you want to take advantage of.
I was thinking about the age thing :shock: but I don't have the cajones that Andy has so I'll keep my mouth shut :P

ps; This goes for everybody - I am running some pretty good prices right now as I close the store for good. If anybody needs snowboard gear or accessories like gloves, goggles and helmets please come "take advantage of me" and help me make stuff go away. My basement and attic aren't big enough to store everything I still have left.
Hey sorry to hear you're closing. When do you think your last day will be and what are the plans for the future?
Don't be sorry, I've gotten over the shock of making my own rules for the last 8 1/2 years but I will miss beer o'clock and the smoking lounge in the attic. Things have just been too tough for the last few and my buddy at Bicycle Habitat in NYC is paying me better (more than double) than I have ever paid myself so... I expect the last full day for me to be May 1st but my landlord has been pretty understanding and has given me through the end of May to clear out. I'd like to have most of the inventory spoken for long before that though. Even though I am closing the storefront I will be doing a mobile service for bikes and may expand that to skis and boards for the winter depending on what kind of time I can muster up. Something like "The Bike Doctor, we only make house calls!" I figure if you show up at someones house like a plumber you get to charge like a plumber.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

gravitylover wrote:
andyzee wrote:
gravitylover wrote:Sprite,
Bring the bike and come visit me at my shop this weekend and I'll go through it with you. There are a lot of different factors that come into play as has been written in this thread and we can work it out so it's right for you. Since I am closing the shop at the end of the month don't wait too long. You may also find some "deals" on both summer and winter stuff that you want to take advantage of.
I was thinking about the age thing :shock: but I don't have the cajones that Andy has so I'll keep my mouth shut :P

ps; This goes for everybody - I am running some pretty good prices right now as I close the store for good. If anybody needs snowboard gear or accessories like gloves, goggles and helmets please come "take advantage of me" and help me make stuff go away. My basement and attic aren't big enough to store everything I still have left.
Hey sorry to hear you're closing. When do you think your last day will be and what are the plans for the future?
Don't be sorry, I've gotten over the shock of making my own rules for the last 8 1/2 years but I will miss beer o'clock and the smoking lounge in the attic. Things have just been too tough for the last few and my buddy at Bicycle Habitat in NYC is paying me better (more than double) than I have ever paid myself so... I expect the last full day for me to be May 1st but my landlord has been pretty understanding and has given me through the end of May to clear out. I'd like to have most of the inventory spoken for long before that though. Even though I am closing the storefront I will be doing a mobile service for bikes and may expand that to skis and boards for the winter depending on what kind of time I can muster up. Something like "The Bike Doctor, we only make house calls!" I figure if you show up at someones house like a plumber you get to charge like a plumber.
Best of Luck!
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I like wine.