70%
Other
10%

Total votes: 10

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

OT: Gear Heads, Tractor/Mower Engine question

Post by Dr. NO »

Any old style gear head there? You know, the kind that electricuted themselves holding the mower plug to see if there was a spark, then graduated to workin on hot cares (hot as in fast, not stolin).

Which engine do you prefer on a lawn tractor or mower. I don't want a Honda, so leave them out of it.

Briggs & Stratton: seems to have problems with longevity. Big engines seem to backfire alot too and get vapor lock in the fuel lines. AND, just realized, with a name like Briggs & Stratton, well, I guess they should suck.

Koler: heafty engine, seems to be a real work horse. Have had few problems with the 2 I have owned. Noisy, but don't backfire when I turn them off or vapor lock after an hour of running.

Tecumsa: No experiance with these except my neighbor had one. Seemed more reliable than the Briggs I had and she dumped at the time.

If you have a preference, let me know and why. Want to order a tractor for VT this weekend. Current choices are

Poulan 21 HP Briggs & Stratton, Hydro drive
Ryobe 19 HP Koler, Hydro drive

$100 difference between them and dirt cheap for a hydro type tractor.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
RedRider
Postaholic

Post by RedRider »

Doc, all I can say is over the years I have NEVER had to repair a Briggs.
However, Tecumseh carburetors are known to need repairs, I myself have rebuilt 4 or 5. Go with Briggs over Tecumseh.
My Tractor has a 19HP Twin cylinder Briggs, runs like a top.
Kohler - I have never worked with, sorry.
Go that way, really fast.
If something gets in your way, turn.

Shortski is the Supreme Master of the Universe!!
picnic
Black Carver

Post by picnic »

What are you cutting and how much? I cut my yard (10 acres) using a Grasshopper 72" with a 25hp Kubota gas. My little mower is a Bunton 36" with a 14 hp Kawasaki. You can beat Honda, Kawa or Kubota engines with anything else on the market.
Get water cooled if you are going into the 20 hp range. I had aircooled Excel Hustlers with 18 hp Kohler Magnums and they ran to0 hot.
Homer says
Eat at Joe's
Drink at Moe's
(_ 8^(I)
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

picnic wrote:What are you cutting and how much? I cut my yard (10 acres) using a Grasshopper 72" with a 25hp Kubota gas. My little mower is a Bunton 36" with a 14 hp Kawasaki. You can beat Honda, Kawa or Kubota engines with anything else on the market.
Get water cooled if you are going into the 20 hp range. I had aircooled Excel Hustlers with 18 hp Kohler Magnums and they ran to0 hot.
2 acres in VT, 1/2 in CT. CT has a Simplicity Rear engine Briggs. Love the mower for the size and all, but the Briggs seems to have issues.
Can't be affording all those nice toys you have. Would love the Kubota, but no way. Friend has a Kabota tractor with front loader and shovel. Need to have them drop in off in VT for some heavy work I need done. Nice machine, desiel and hydraulic powered.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Are these brand new? Nice.
I still have my 12hp 36" cut Dynamark. Briggs engine.
Got it at a tag sale in 1994 for $140 and still have not changed the oil.
When it goes, I'll by another junker.
More $$ to ski with...
Where is Happy Hour ?
RedRider
Postaholic

Post by RedRider »

You shouldn't have any problems with the Kohler.
Good choice!
Go that way, really fast.
If something gets in your way, turn.

Shortski is the Supreme Master of the Universe!!