Madhatter's 2017 Garden Thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: Madhatter's 2017 Garden Thread

Post by Dr. NO »

madhatter wrote:
freeski wrote:Madhatter let's see what you got growing...
having issues getting pics off my phone....USB keeps disconnecting before I can download...

lots of beans, peas just finished, lots of zucch and summer squash...I need to take my regular camera out and take some pics...been really busy w all this bike stuff and what not...
I have an iphone 4 which does not allow me to direct transfer photos. I attach photos to an e-mail and send it to one of my accounts.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Step one: plant tomato, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro in garden

Step two: catch Haddock off New Hampshire coast-Stellwagen Bank

Step three: buy beer and corn mesa

Step four: prepare pico de gallo with garden tomato-red onion-cilantro-jalapeno-lime juice

Step five: prepare sauce with mayo-hot pepper relish-lemon juice-hot sauce-salt/pepper

Step six: make homemade tortillas with the corn mesa

Step seven: lightly fry Stellwagen Bank Haddock

Step eight: build tacos

Step nine: open beer

Step ten: eat best tacos ever and drink beer
Attachments
fish tacos.jpg
fish tacos.jpg (148.95 KiB) Viewed 814 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

^ Yep that must be awesome.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

A meal worthy of a cold pbr? If you go a little East or West across state lines you can find a beer worthy of being paired with a meal like that.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Step one: plant tomato, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro in garden

Step two: catch Haddock off New Hampshire coast-Stellwagen Bank

Step three: buy beer and corn mesa

Step four: prepare pico de gallo with garden tomato-red onion-cilantro-jalapeno-lime juice

Step five: prepare sauce with mayo-hot pepper relish-lemon juice-hot sauce-salt/pepper

Step six: make homemade tortillas with the corn mesa

Step seven: lightly fry Stellwagen Bank Haddock

Step eight: build tacos

Step nine: open beer

Step ten: eat best tacos ever and drink beer
I hate seafood. However that makes it look delicious. Nice work sir! Great picture! Mag worthy.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Looks delicious!!
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

About 6 pounds of plum tomato picked on Friday and another 6 pounds today. About 6 hours later, presto.....6 huge jars of preserved tomato sauce.
Attachments
SAM_2255.JPG
SAM_2255.JPG (415.97 KiB) Viewed 707 times
SAM_2253.JPG
SAM_2253.JPG (414.12 KiB) Viewed 707 times
SAM_2254.JPG
SAM_2254.JPG (419.58 KiB) Viewed 707 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

f.a.s.t. wrote:About 6 pounds of plum tomato picked on Friday and another 6 pounds today. About 6 hours later, presto.....6 huge jars of preserved tomato sauce.
Absolutely love tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes. Made some myself recently.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Pumpkins on vine. Cucumbers coming out of my ears. :shock: Made 8 quarts of bread and butter pickles.
Vines.jpg
Vines.jpg (277.64 KiB) Viewed 657 times
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

freeski wrote:Pumpkins on vine. Cucumbers coming out of my ears. :shock: Made 8 quarts of bread and butter pickles.
Vines.jpg
more cukes that i can i use as well but they're easy to give away but i don't care if see another zucchini. picked about 30 of them and they're not so easy to give away. tomatoes started turning last week and may have to open up a farm stand ... overall, it's been a blast but might have to scale back or do a better job staggering the "crop" next year.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

skiadikt wrote:
freeski wrote:Pumpkins on vine. Cucumbers coming out of my ears. :shock: Made 8 quarts of bread and butter pickles.
Vines.jpg
more cukes that i can i use as well but they're easy to give away but i don't care if see another zucchini. picked about 30 of them and they're not so easy to give away. tomatoes started turning last week and may have to open up a farm stand ... overall, it's been a blast but might have to scale back or do a better job staggering the "crop" next year.
My cucumbers are going crazy this year as well, I just pickled 6 pints and 2 days later have enough to pickle 6 more. My raspberries are having a great year but they always do, blueberries on the other hand just did not happen much this year after a banner crop last year. My tomatoes are having an average year, and my peppers are just starting to ripen.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote:
skiadikt wrote:
Vines.jpg
My cucumbers are going crazy this year as well, I just pickled 6 pints and 2 days later have enough to pickle 6 more. My raspberries are having a great year but they always do, blueberries on the other hand just did not happen much this year after a banner crop last year. My tomatoes are having an average year, and my peppers are just starting to ripen.
not into pickling so need to eat them all. got a couple quarts out of the blueberries. thinking of planting raspberries for next year. how many plants do you recommend?

won the battle against cabbage worms on my broccoli & brussel sprouts. squeezing the fckers was big fun but now my zukes have a bit of a squash bug infestation. captain jack's deadbug brew seems to work but they're pretty relentless.

spoiled South American skiin' whore
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Ski tip: Place shipping bubbles in your boots to keep dust out.
MrPumpkin.jpg
MrPumpkin.jpg (210.95 KiB) Viewed 526 times
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (245.36 KiB) Viewed 526 times
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Vines.jpg
I think my cucumber plants are done as the leaves are turning brown. String beans still going strong and I can't keep up with them. I've been picking tomatoes for a while now but there are still some that need to mature.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

late season drought going on currently...irrigation required...on a side note warm spells like this is why I don't exactly follow the advice of those who want you to top, pinch or otherwise prevent plants from setting new fruit as early as they do( 2-3 weeks before first expected frost date, usually sep 15 for my area) some years I don't see frost or at least frost heavy enough to kill until november...lots of production during sep and oct some yrs...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....