Current Conditions 2200' 17/18

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

DES
Slalom Racer

Re: Current Conditions 2200' 17/18

Post by DES »

Hey, I just like to "spread knowledge" and I share the goods! There are some people here in Kzone that do go to Cannon. Also, in the spirit of sharing knowledge, you should have typed "there" instead of "their"...
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Figured some here my like to know this.

A significant cold event is poised to make its way from Canada next Tuesday/Wednesday, through the Great Lakes, and into the Midwest and Ohio Valley before heading to the Northeast. This will be the most significant event of this short winter season thus far. Regarding temperature anomalies, expect a 1.5 or 2 sigma event with nightly lows in the upper teens/low 20s and daily highs into the 30s/40s. A secondary short-wave will bring reinforcing cold by the end of the work-week next week, thus extending this cold event into the second full-week of December. On top of cold temperature anomalies, an abundant flow of moisture combined with northwesterly flow should make for lake-effect snows in all of the usual places.

ERCOT will see reduced temperatures from this air mass as well. But, the freezing mark likely will not make it that far south and west. The North Zone may get in on upper 30s for nightly lows and 50s for highs, which will lead to increased load.

As weather vendors are often cautious/slow in forecasting such a sharp temperature change, your current load forecast for next week and the week after may not accurately reflect the magnitude of load which you will see. To better quantify your load for the first two weeks of December, please use the "Extreme Weather" module of our Demand Forecasting System. This tool will assist with your hedge planning for the upcoming two weeks.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Nikoli wrote:Figured some here my like to know this.

A significant cold event is poised to make its way from Canada next Tuesday/Wednesday, through the Great Lakes, and into the Midwest and Ohio Valley before heading to the Northeast. This will be the most significant event of this short winter season thus far. Regarding temperature anomalies, expect a 1.5 or 2 sigma event with nightly lows in the upper teens/low 20s and daily highs into the 30s/40s. A secondary short-wave will bring reinforcing cold by the end of the work-week next week, thus extending this cold event into the second full-week of December. On top of cold temperature anomalies, an abundant flow of moisture combined with northwesterly flow should make for lake-effect snows in all of the usual places.

ERCOT will see reduced temperatures from this air mass as well. But, the freezing mark likely will not make it that far south and west. The North Zone may get in on upper 30s for nightly lows and 50s for highs, which will lead to increased load.

As weather vendors are often cautious/slow in forecasting such a sharp temperature change, your current load forecast for next week and the week after may not accurately reflect the magnitude of load which you will see. To better quantify your load for the first two weeks of December, please use the "Extreme Weather" module of our Demand Forecasting System. This tool will assist with your hedge planning for the upcoming two weeks.
Obviously that forecast comes from an energy industry related source. Care to share?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Escoware. It’s a retail energy software package. They send these from time to time to make sure you don’t go out of business. The polar vortex a few years ago took out a few companies in ERCOT
-Christopher Columbus
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Nikoli wrote:Escoware. It’s a retail energy software package. They send these from time to time to make sure you don’t go out of business. The polar vortex a few years ago took out a few companies in ERCOT
Took out a whole bunch of companies throughout the country. Thanks.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Bubba wrote:
Nikoli wrote:Escoware. It’s a retail energy software package. They send these from time to time to make sure you don’t go out of business. The polar vortex a few years ago took out a few companies in ERCOT
True!
-Christopher Columbus
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Nikoli wrote:
Bubba wrote:
True!
How? Due to crazy energy usage/spend?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

spanky wrote:
Nikoli wrote:
Bubba wrote:
True!
Power prices jumped for the bulk of the winter and a number of smaller marketers as well as at least one larger one were either under capitalized or had simply left themselves unhedged to too great an extent. Lots more complicated than that but I'd have to write a treatise to fully explain what occurred that winter.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Bubba wrote:
spanky wrote:
Nikoli wrote:
Bubba wrote:
True!
Power prices jumped for the bulk of the winter and a number of smaller marketers as well as at least one larger one were either under capitalized or had simply left themselves unhedged to too great an extent. Lots more complicated than that but I'd have to write a treatise to fully explain what occurred that winter.
Naked Positions!
-Christopher Columbus
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Nikoli wrote:
Bubba wrote:
spanky wrote:
Nikoli wrote:
Bubba wrote: Took out a whole bunch of companies throughout the country. Thanks.
True!
Naked Positions!
Ah, that I understand.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

27.5 degrees, no wind . . . and, it's snowing :wink:
snow4all
Blue Chatterbox

Post by snow4all »

Things beginning to look more positive :-)
http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

If you are traveling to / from VT, MA has already put out a Winter Storm alert. They were pre-deicing I-91 near Northampton. Storm track is :-x DC, NYC and Boston. Was going to clean up the yard in CT but covered in snow, nobody will complain about the branches and leaves I haven't picked up. If you are in VT, enjoy the POW and hope you get lots.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Not a direct hit for K as of now

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Mister Moose wrote:Not a direct hit for K as of now

Hate these types of storms where the snow falls in the flatlands where it's a nuisance and none of it falls in the mountains where we can play with it.