Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ski
Wanted Poster

Re: North Ridge Quad

Post by ski »

madhatter wrote:
ski wrote:
skiadikt wrote:the rfid gate there is a 6.
That means nothing . . . The gate at Needles is a six too
you sure about that?
Yeah, pretty sure I remember checking it . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

ski wrote:
There are two RFID gates for the Skyship midstation and that has caused a lot of issues when it's busy. There are 4 RFID gates for the quad.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
ski wrote:
There are two RFID gates for the Skyship midstation and that has caused a lot of issues when it's busy. There are 4 RFID gates for the quad.
they are using 4 at the Needles quad but there are actually 6 gantry spots
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

freeski wrote:I fear a chair like that will make skiers soft.

Skiing is a sport. Sure you can ski one weekend a month and spend half the time in the lodge.

Leave the lodge in the lodge; respect the sport, respect the mountain.

Also, too many moving carts. The snowboarders will tear the seat covers and those inevitable pinhole burns.

"He tried to be a Fancy Man; butt ended up a Nancy Boy."

How many days did you ski at K this year?
Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

Ramshead Quad will be replacing the Snowshed Double.
Last edited by Ragged#1 on May 9th, '19, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Ragged#1 wrote:Ramshead Quad will be replacing the SNowshed Double.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh - No - Guess again
Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

You'll see soon enough
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

hillbangin wrote:
Ragged#1 wrote:Ramshead Quad will be replacing the SNowshed Double.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh - No - Guess again
I read the same on the planning board meeting minutes quoting Jeff Temple
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

That makes sense to me. They would only need to run the current Snowshed Express, the old Yan detachable on peak days in the winter. They could also position the load point much closer to the tunnel. Hopefully moving the load point closer to the tunnel is also considered for Ramshead when it is replaced.

I do expect the next Ramshead lift to go back to the true summit. It's just too great an opportunity to pass up to restore access to that terrain. It also makes a connection to Pico possible with only one additional lift. For wind tolerance, just don't reopen the closed portion of Header and run the lift very low to the ground like the Pico summit lift. For the capacity that location will need with future interconnect and village traffic, I think an 8 pack needs to be considered. Also better for wind tolerance if extending back to the true summit.

On Superstar, Jeff did not mention bubbles, so I expect that to be a non-bubble 6 pack. The quad has an hourly capacity of 3000 which is the highest one can achieve with a quad, but is much more efficient on a 6.

Not sure what's going to happen with Outpost though I can't imagine much money is put into it with how underutilized it is. I think it will be a triple or quad with big chair spacing, reusing towers from the Superstar Express.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

daytripper wrote:
freeski wrote:I fear a chair like that will make skiers soft.

Skiing is a sport. Sure you can ski one weekend a month and spend half the time in the lodge.

Leave the lodge in the lodge; respect the sport, respect the mountain.

Also, too many moving carts. The snowboarders will tear the seat covers and those inevitable pinhole burns.

"He tried to be a Fancy Man; butt ended up a Nancy Boy."

How many days did you ski at K this year?
4 or 5. I just picked up some 35mm pictures. PM me your address and I'll mail you one.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote:That makes sense to me. They would only need to run the current Snowshed Express, the old Yan detachable on peak days in the winter. They could also position the load point much closer to the tunnel. Hopefully moving the load point closer to the tunnel is also considered for Ramshead when it is replaced.

I do expect the next Ramshead lift to go back to the true summit. It's just too great an opportunity to pass up to restore access to that terrain. It also makes a connection to Pico possible with only one additional lift. For wind tolerance, just don't reopen the closed portion of Header and run the lift very low to the ground like the Pico summit lift. For the capacity that location will need with future interconnect and village traffic, I think an 8 pack needs to be considered. Also better for wind tolerance if extending back to the true summit.

On Superstar, Jeff did not mention bubbles, so I expect that to be a non-bubble 6 pack. The quad has an hourly capacity of 3000 which is the highest one can achieve with a quad, but is much more efficient on a 6.

Not sure what's going to happen with Outpost though I can't imagine much money is put into it with how underutilized it is. I think it will be a triple or quad with big chair spacing, reusing towers from the Superstar Express.
There's not enough downhill capacity for an 8 pack on RH. It'll be a 6 bubble.

I would expect the Snowshed Quad to be removed if RH is moved there to replace the double.

The cost benefit of moving just the SS towers to Outpost is negated if the complete lift is not moved ala Snowdon. That obviously won't happen. It will be a new or moved complete package.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Ramshead has massive trail acreage that is underutilized due to the poor capacity of the quad and the fact that there are no other lifts serving it. There may only be 4 trails, but they are massive wide trails with good sight lines and no real choke points. It is also easily expandable. The capacity requirement in my opinion is 3600 (Snowdon 6 is 3000) and with lower level skiers, that is only achieved with an 8 pack.
Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

Yeah the Ramshead will be a six pack bubble.

The goal is to focus on Woodward, creating a big new facility at the bottom of Vale lot. Two new trails will be cut, replacing Squeezeplay, which will be the Stash and Dream maker replacements. Bear will soon be terrain park free!

New magic carpets will replace the current ones and they will go higher up the beginner area. The old ones are being relocated to Pico, to expand their beginner program over there.

Ramshead 4 replacing the double will be the start of the major base overhaul.
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Snowshed and Ramshead base lodges will be combined and located in the middle of the current access road. This will require major road relocation as part of the village construction. Any guess to when that will happen?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Big Bob wrote:Snowshed and Ramshead base lodges will be combined and located in the middle of the current access road. This will require major road relocation as part of the village construction. Any guess to when that will happen?
According to the presentation that I saw last Saturday they still don't have a developer.

I'm guessing these 'plans' are for the summer of 20/21? ( after K1 is done )

If they are going to blow up squeeze play and make that a terrain park - I don't know anything about land clearing BUTT that is one big project - Squeeze Play is a mile long - from the top of Rams to the bottom - and it's going to need A LOT of snow making.