Trump orders SEAL prosecutors stripped of achievement medals

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Trump orders SEAL prosecutors stripped of achievement medals

Post by Kpdemello »

Interesting story. Lots of things to nit pick. I tend to think POTUS shouldn't involve himself in these matters, but wonder about the notion of awarding medals to prosecutors for prosecuting specific cases. Maybe that's not unusual for military lawyers but it seems a bit odd to this civilian.
Trump tweeted earlier Wednesday that he had directed the secretary of the Navy and the chief of naval operations to "immediately withdraw and rescind" the Navy Achievement Medal from prosecutors who argued the case against Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher, who was acquitted by military jurors earlier this month.

"The Prosecutors who lost the case against SEAL Eddie Gallagher (who I released from solitary confinement so he could fight his case properly), were ridiculously given a Navy Achievement Medal," Trump complained, adding, "I am very happy for Eddie Gallagher and his family!"
Defense lawyers had argued that Gallagher was framed by junior disgruntled platoon members who fabricated the allegations to oust their chief. The prosecution said Gallagher was incriminated by his own text messages and photos, including one of him holding the dead militant up by the hair and clutching a knife in his other hand. Several SEALs testified that Gallagher stabbed the militant, including two who said they saw Gallagher plunge the knife into his neck.

In the end, the jury of five Marines and two sailors — all war zone veterans — acquitted Gallagher of murder, attempted murder and other charges in the killing of the Islamic State captive — dealing a major blow to one of the Navy's most high-profile war crimes cases.

He was convicted of a single count of posing with a human casualty and given the maximum sentence of four months' confinement for the offense.

Gallagher will serve no jail time because he spent nearly nine months in pre-trial custody. The jury also called for his rank to be reduced, hurting his benefits just as the 19-year veteran prepares to retire.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/0 ... /23784460/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;