where would you move

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Mister Moose wrote:
ozzy wrote:anyone ever been to Le Massif or neighboring Mt. St. Anne?
they are pretty neat ski areas. Le Massif is the only place that i've had the chance to ski and see a major maritime body of water. wierd seeing icebergs when skiing.
I was at Mount St Anne a long time ago. Conditons were same old same old, it still is the east coast. At the time most of what they had were Poma lifts... and the advanced terrain was served by the fastest Poma I have ever seen, and probably will ever see.

They loaded with a cattle chute planked up 8 feet high. When they asked "Are you ready?" you had better be ready before you say yes. The initial pull is so strong you are lifted off the ground and pulled forward at the same time. The cattle chute went 30 feet past the unloading area to keep your skiis straight until you were back on the ground. Quite the ride. (Wasn't 4 G's though)
Same thing happened to Ice_Man on the Snowdon Poma
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Geoff wrote:
The Camden Snow Bowl has a killer view of Penobscot Bay. Much smaller than Mt St Anne or Le Massif.
Camden snow bowl is on list of things to do one year. I've heard that it has a neat view
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

short answer: i don't know..

like most people here, i'm drawn to tahoe.. or elsewhere in the sierras.. but that's because tahoe and mammoth are the only places out west i've skied.

I am extremely interested in colorado, even though i've never been there. the various microcosms there really interest me - you can hang out in conservative redneck hick pueblo, but when you want to see some extreme tree-huggin' freaks, it's just a short ride up to boulder. but more importantly, it is a utopia of virtually every outdoor activity you can think of, from rock climbing to kayaking.. and a local populace that is interested in this stuff.

Right now, I would like to check out golden for its proximity to both the mountains and to denver..

I've also never been to Oregon (though there seems to be less emphasis on the outdoors), Washington (too much r*in to live with only to get blown away by a volcano), Utah (yeah, fundamentalist mormons everywhere i go - just what i was looking for), wyoming (too remote), Montana (see WY), Idaho (see MT and WY), or BC (i ain't no canuck..)
but i'd like to check out all of these places anyway.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

pizzamoose wrote:
I am extremely interested in colorado, even though i've never been there. the various microcosms there really interest me - you can hang out in conservative redneck hick pueblo, but when you want to see some extreme tree-huggin' freaks, it's just a short ride up to boulder. but more importantly, it is a utopia of virtually every outdoor activity you can think of, from rock climbing to kayaking.. and a local populace that is interested in this stuff.

Right now, I would like to check out golden for its proximity to both the mountains and to denver..
Pueblo? You've heard of Pueblo? And you've never been to Colorado? Amazing... I think Pueblo is one of those places that no one's heard of. But for Hick towns, check out Hartsel. Don't blink.

And Golden.... Pretty built up. But I bet you want to live there to be across the street from Coors!
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

The initial pull is so strong you are lifted off the ground and pulled forward at the same time.

Wait isnt that the idea w/ the that...... to see who can catch the most uphill air w/ out eating sh*t?
Dr Z
Powderhound

Post by Dr Z »

mogulmouse wrote:The initial pull is so strong you are lifted off the ground and pulled forward at the same time.

Wait isnt that the idea w/ the that...... to see who can catch the most uphill air w/ out eating sh*t?
I've seen some spectacular air time but very few could stick the landing. :P

I am - entertainment for the lift line!
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Mister Moose wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:

Pueblo? You've heard of Pueblo? And you've never been to Colorado? Amazing... I think Pueblo is one of those places that no one's heard of. But for Hick towns, check out Hartsel. Don't blink.

And Golden.... Pretty built up. But I bet you want to live there to be across the street from Coors!

Jeez. Golden is Anywhere, USA uncontrolled sprawl. The Californians who moved there brought their own private hell with them. I'm in Boulder once or twice a month and most of Boulder is pretty awful, too. They have about 20 blocks of older housing (turn of the century) that somehow make the town acceptable. The blocks around Pearl & Broadway are yuppie heaven. The rest is dense-pack sprawl just like everywhere else in metro-Denver.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Geoff,

you're in Boulder once or twice a month? That's kinda cool. It's like a larger Burlington. Same principal architect from what i understand
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

i want to crash @ the condo for @ least 2 weeks next season and settup shop @ coopers 8)

ImageImageImageImage
<- not the same tube in my avatar, This ^ one is patriotic ;)

Man that shirts a classic, no one on the west knows it obviously.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

ozzy wrote:Geoff,

you're in Boulder once or twice a month? That's kinda cool. It's like a larger Burlington. Same principal architect from what i understand
Yeah. Really cool. Out the door at 5:45 am. Logan airport, 4+ hours in a plane, rental car, all day meeting, a bite to eat in Boulder if I have the energy, crash in a hotel room, up before dawn to do east coast work, an all day meeting, sprint to the airport. Another 4 hours in a plane. Make it home by 1:30 am if I'm lucky.

Most of Boulder looks like South Burlington, not Burlington. Uncontrolled sprawl on roads designed for a tenth that population. There's a nice section of downtown that's much better than Burlington's Church Street since the area is much more affluent. There's nothing in Boulder that looks anything like the UVM green. With the smog, you often don't see the front range even though it's only a few miles away. I live in Portsmouth so I really don't need to fly 1750 miles to see older brick buildings with Latte shops in them. The main redeeming quality of Boulder is that all the restaurants hire really hot U of Colorado co-eds.