Slide at A-basin...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

speaking of slides ... we had a slide at killington this year. the vertigo headwall came down when they first blew it.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

boy that is scary. i too was there six weeks ago, but didn't even consider a slide on the pali face. Remember kids, always wear your transciever and ski w/ a buddy!
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

It's reported that there may be one more in the slide and that a few TGR guys were to report with full gear at 530am at the mtn for S&R. Hopefully, there isn't anymore, that's one scary job with the hangfire there. Haven't heard back from DMC yet, hope his friend is OK!

Also, patrol reported that they DID use explosives on that slab in early morning and found it to be safe. This is the fifth death in CO this year. What baffles me is that one of them was during an avie awareness class earlier on in March :shock: I guess you're never really safe, something to keep in the back of your mind at all times. Always keep your head on a swivel, never get tunnel vision, mind your environment.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Mtn Man wrote: Haven't heard back from DMC yet, hope his friend is OK!

B)
She's OK... Decided to go hiking instead...

Psheeeew....
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

DMC wrote:
Mtn Man wrote: Haven't heard back from DMC yet, hope his friend is OK!

B)
She's OK... Decided to go hiking instead...

Psheeeew....
Great news, thanks for the update!

Hope the search goes well today for them, I haven't seen any updates yet.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

don't know whether this has been mentioned or not but this was on the a-basin site:

The Pallavicini chairlift and terrain served by the lift will be closed for the remainder of the ski season.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

DMC wrote:
borgy wrote:
Mtn Man wrote:Something from Powderpig on TGR:

Just talked to telechuck who is on his way home from A-Basin. He said it started around the trees skiers left of Pali face, slid into the first alley, then back out below and all the way down to the traverse... Apparently, there were plenty of hangfire as well

For those of us who ski in the eastern ski resorts---- please explain this term.
Hangfire means something thats only attatched at the top... It is snow thats still around after a slide with a simular aspect and incline - above the crown of the slide. It's killed people that are searching for avi victims...

hummm?
I thought the term "Hangfire" is a mining term used 2 discribe the guys that place(2 hang) the TNT in the hole(Fire in the Hole) and then light it and run(Fire).

i guess the unoriginal avi guys stole the term.

oh yeah if u guys read the chan-9 artical you would have known that the slide was inbounds and no one named SCS or in fact no chicks were harmed in that slide...geeze how fukin lazy r u ppl?

Yentas!
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Bling Skier wrote:
DMC wrote:
borgy wrote:

Just talked to telechuck who is on his way home from A-Basin. He said it started around the trees skiers left of Pali face, slid into the first alley, then back out below and all the way down to the traverse... Apparently, there were plenty of hangfire as well

For those of us who ski in the eastern ski resorts---- please explain this term.
Hangfire means something thats only attatched at the top... It is snow thats still around after a slide with a simular aspect and incline - above the crown of the slide. It's killed people that are searching for avi victims...

hummm?
I thought the term "Hangfire" is a mining term used 2 discribe the guys that place(2 hang) the TNT in the hole(Fire in the Hole) and then light it and run(Fire).

"Unlike so many expressions, this one is well understood. It dates from a time when firearms were loaded using a gunpowder charge poured from a flask, which was then ignited by a spark from a flint striking against an iron plate. Gunpowder was notoriously unreliable, partly because it varied a great deal in quality, but also because the slightest damp stopped it igniting properly. When this happened, the powder in the firearm smouldered instead of exploding and was said to hang fire. (This was highly dangerous, as you may imagine, because the remainder of the powder might explode at any time, perhaps while its owner was trying to clean the gun out and reload it.) So to hang fire became an expression for some event that was slow in acting or of a person hesitating, usually with the inference that a matter of some importance was involved.

This expression should not be confused with a closely-related one a flash in the pan, for an ineffective effort or outburst. This referred to gunpowder that burned fiercely but ineffectually in the touch hole of a gun, without igniting the main charge. The result was a flash and some smoke, but the gun didn’t fire, and the ball didn’t actually go anywhere."
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

Pedro wrote:
Bling Skier wrote:
DMC wrote:
borgy wrote:

hummm?

"Unlike so many expressions, this one is well understood. It dates from a time when firearms were loaded using a gunpowder charge poured from a flask, which was then ignited by a spark from a flint striking against an iron plate. Gunpowder was notoriously unreliable, partly because it varied a great deal in quality, but also because the slightest damp stopped it igniting properly. When this happened, the powder in the firearm smouldered instead of exploding and was said to hang fire. (This was highly dangerous, as you may imagine, because the remainder of the powder might explode at any time, perhaps while its owner was trying to clean the gun out and reload it.) So to hang fire became an expression for some event that was slow in acting or of a person hesitating, usually with the inference that a matter of some importance was involved.

This expression should not be confused with a closely-related one a flash in the pan, for an ineffective effort or outburst. This referred to gunpowder that burned fiercely but ineffectually in the touch hole of a gun, without igniting the main charge. The result was a flash and some smoke, but the gun didn’t fire, and the ball didn’t actually go anywhere."

In the little old town where i come from
no one ever works,
nothing ever gets done.
we hang fire hang fire...

that sounds better than eather D's or my explanation of the term Hang fire.
tanks mon.
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Bling Skier wrote:oh yeah if u guys read the chan-9 artical you would have known that the slide was inbounds and no one named SCS or in fact no chicks were harmed in that slide...geeze how fukin lazy r u ppl?

Yentas!
Oh, and if you read the first report, it was in a closed area, big slip up by the media. If you read TGR and a later report, you would have known that there was rumor to be one more unaccountable person, and that they were going to search for that person at 530am in the morning. How f'in lazy are you?

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

Bling Skier wrote: In the little old town where i come from
no one ever works,
nothing ever gets done.
we hang fire hang fire...
That was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the term. :lol:
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Cool stuff from BCA Tracker website...
Flux Lines >>> http://www.bcaccess.com/bca_products/tr ... o.php#flux

Single burial >> http://www.bcaccess.com/bca_products/tr ... gle_search

Multi burial >> http://www.bcaccess.com/bca_products/tr ... lti_search

Practice(hint watch the flux line at about 5 meters) >> http://www.bcaccess.com/bca_products/tr ... actice.php

Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

DMC wrote:Cool stuff from BCA Tracker website...
I used one of them when at JH, someone lent Treerat and I one each. JH actually had a practice field at the bottom of Rendevous Bowl where they had a switch board and buried transmitters. You couldn't dig there, but use the BCA tracker to find the transmitters that were turned off and on from the switchboard.

I've been trying to find sales on them with no luck. Maybe I'll find one over the summer. Definitely will have one before I head out west again. I'm going to take the AMC avie class next season too.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Mtn Man wrote:
DMC wrote:Cool stuff from BCA Tracker website...
I used one of them when at JH, someone lent Treerat and I one each. JH actually had a practice field at the bottom of Rendevous Bowl where they had a switch board and buried transmitters. You couldn't dig there, but use the BCA tracker to find the transmitters that were turned off and on from the switchboard.

I've been trying to find sales on them with no luck. Maybe I'll find one over the summer. Definitely will have one before I head out west again. I'm going to take the AMC avie class next season too.

B)
Patrollers get sweet deals on them... maybe check with someone you know that patrols.. Otherwise - you see them on Ebay from time to time...

The JH thing sounds cool... I like Bridger Bowl where you had to pass through a gate that checked you signal before they let you through...