Thursday January 30, 2020

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Thursday January 30, 2020

Post by rogman »

Cloudless blue windless skies made for a pretty day of skiing. Colder than earlier in the week. The naturals remain good, but actually need a bit of traffic to break them up; they'll improve with more skiers. Lower Royal Flush is starting to show signs of wear, it will last through the weekend, but needs snow. Mountain Ops is taking advantage of the conditions: guns everywhere; Skyelark and Lower Ovation in particular were getting pounded. Dream Maker park now open, there are some monster two story jumps in there. Still working on the half pipe area. What they're building there looks pretty cool.

When I hit an open Lower O, the snow making had been going on for a while, and no tracks at all. It was "interesting"; needed more traffic to stabilize it. Skiing it triggered small avi's on every turn. Nothing dangerous, but sufficient to take your feet out from under you if you weren't careful. A slow holding your line wasn't going to work, and the vis was too poor to do it fast. Kept skiing off away from the guns into the weeds. Like I said, not dangerous, but interesting "practice". Heard some good rumbles. Never had that experience at K before. The exit towards KBL was a mess. Don't think the groomer thought it would be opened. Enough traffic it will be fine.

Dream Maker Park:

Top of K1

Lower Royal Flush

The Bub.

Looking up from the middle of Lower O:

Looking up Skyelark

Skyeburst:
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Thursday January 30, 2020

Post by madhatter »

rogman wrote:Cloudless blue windless skies made for a pretty day of skiing. Colder than earlier in the week. The naturals remain good, but actually need a bit of traffic to break them up; they'll improve with more skiers. Lower Royal Flush is starting to show signs of wear, it will last through the weekend, but needs snow. Mountain Ops is taking advantage of the conditions: guns everywhere; Skyelark and Lower Ovation in particular were getting pounded. Dream Maker park now open, there are some monster two story jumps in there. Still working on the half pipe area. What they're building there looks pretty cool.

When I hit an open Lower O, the snow making had been going on for a while, and no tracks at all. It was "interesting"; needed more traffic to stabilize it. Skiing it triggered small avi's on every turn. Nothing dangerous, but sufficient to take your feet out from under you if you weren't careful. A slow holding your line wasn't going to work, and the vis was too poor to do it fast. Kept skiing off away from the guns into the weeds. Like I said, not dangerous, but interesting "practice". Heard some good rumbles. Never had that experience at K before. The exit towards KBL was a mess. Don't think the groomer thought it would be opened. Enough traffic it will be fine.

Dream Maker Park:

Top of K1

Lower Royal Flush

The Bub.

Looking up from the middle of Lower O:

Looking up Skyelark

Skyeburst:
park looks sick! not that I'll be skiing it, but it looks great...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

madhatter wrote:park looks sick! not that I'll be skiing it, but it looks great...
I like to go through them, go up on top of some of the jumps, stop, check out the scenery, admire the workmanship, and carefully ski down the other side. The creators really are artists. But actually go off these hits? No, no, and hell no. I'd wind up in traction. And I steer clear when they're busy. They're building a big jump at the end of the half pipe "location" (it's not a half pipe anymore), like last year. It will be fun to watch aerialists from the SPE.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Bottom line today for us ..
The Spinnaker is the crappiest lift they ever installed. :smash

.. 20 minute stall .. then a 5 minute stall .. all in 1 ascent :sad:
Definitely not a loading/unloading issue.
The rest was good .. not great.
Dubdip chalk down the ropeline needs boarder grinding :banana:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

It can get better, but damn, we're 90% of the way to being perfect. Lot's of fresh still available in harder-to-find places. I actually ended up doing all of the Ramshead trees, lots of nice blowover all over that side of the hill. Same with Somewhere/Nowhere (my ROTDs).

30+ degrees and sun tomorrow. Expecting mid-winter packed powder in the Canyon and similar places facing north/east. The sun is getting strong enough to start working its magic on the southern exposures and lower elevations- expecting soft spring bumps on OL by noon. We are blessed to have a mountain this diverse.
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

iRock wrote:It can get better, but damn, we're 90% of the way to being perfect. Lot's of fresh still available in harder-to-find places. I actually ended up doing all of the Ramshead trees, lots of nice blowover all over that side of the hill. Same with Somewhere/Nowhere (my ROTDs).

30+ degrees and sun tomorrow. Expecting mid-winter packed powder in the Canyon and similar places facing north/east. The sun is getting strong enough to start working its magic on the southern exposures and lower elevations- expecting soft spring bumps on OL by noon. We are blessed to have a mountain this diverse.
not even close...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

right...

tomorrow is February 1, not March 1
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

jimmywilson69 wrote:right...

tomorrow is February 1, not March 1
Butt only 30 days away! :wink:
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Another nice day out there with full sun again. Mountain firmed up overnight with the sub zero temps but afternoon temperature was perfect. For the most part, I decided to concentrate on high speed groomers with the sun and newly tuned skis !!

ROTD: Conclusion. Yeah, I know, it's not a high speed groomer.

Double Dipper was pretty good if you like firm chalk. Although no clouds, visibility was better yesterday under the guns. I guess because it is so featureless now? Let's get out there and bump it up a bit.

Lower Ovation was very good. I think it might have gotten better through the day as I heard some others that had skied it earlier talking about it 'breaking up'.

Nice pix Rogman !!
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

What's that Blue stuff above the mountain?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

hillbangin wrote:What's that Blue stuff above the mountain?
Photo-shopped or apple filter for sure... :wink:
mach es sehr schnell

icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Still powder in the woods.

Peak from Thursday.

"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh