Survey: Northeast has dumbest drivers

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Survey: Northeast has dumbest drivers

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

Test shows 1 in 10 licensed U.S. drivers don't know basic rules. In the East, 20 percent fail quiz. Link to article

Top five states for driver knowledge:
1-Oregon
2-Washington
3-Iowa
4-Idaho
5-Wyoming

Bottom five states for driver knowledge:
1-Rhode Island
2-Massachusetts
3-New Jersey
4-New York
5-Washington D.C.
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

Here's the scores for the whole country:

Nation -- 82.7

1. Oregon -- 89.4
2. Washington -- 88.4
3. Iowa -- 87.7
4. Idaho -- 87.5
5. Wyoming -- 87.4
6. Vermont -- 86.6
7. Nebraska -- 86.5
8. Wisconsin -- 86.3
9. Montana -- 86.2
10. West Virginia -- 86.2
11. Minnesota -- 86.1
12. North Dakota -- 85.6
13. North Carolina -- 85.2
14. Indiana -- 85.1
15. Alabama -- 84.7
15. Virginia -- 84.7
15. Nevada -- 84.7
16 Missouri -- 84.7
19. Ohio -- 84.3
19. South Dakota -- 84.3
21. Colorado -- 84.2
22. Kansas -- 84.0
23. Michigan -- 83.8
24. New Hampshire -- 83.7
25. Tennessee -- 83.4
26. Maine -- 83.2
27. Arkansas -- 83.1
27. South Carolina -- 83.1
29. Georgia -- 82.9
29. New Mexico -- 82.9
31. Oklahoma -- 82.8
32. Texas -- 82.7
33. Utah -- 82.6
33. Arizona -- 82.6
35. Mississippi -- 82.5
35. Delaware -- 82.5
35. Kentucky -- 82.5
38. Pennsylvania -- 82.1
39. Louisiana -- 81.7
40. Illinois -- 81.6
41. Florida -- 81.1
42. Connecticut -- 80.9
43. California -- 80.4
44. Maryland -- 79.8
44. Washington, D.C, -- 79.8
44. New York -- 79.8
47. New Jersey -- 78.3
48. Massachusetts -- 7.2
49. Rhode Island -- 77.0
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

...and all the states with high immigrant populations are at the bottom of the list...hmmm. Its hard to pass a drivers test when you can't read the English language.
ImageImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Stormchaser wrote:...and all the states with high immigrant populations are at the bottom of the list...hmmm. Its hard to pass a drivers test when you can't read the English language.
Forget immigrants. I was thinking those states had a higher percentage of nuns. :wink: :lol:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bella
Green Skidder

Cell Phones

Post by Bella »

If everyone would just hang up the damn cell phone we would probably have better drivers!
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

I hate being lower than Alabama!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Wyoming re-tests for EVERY renewal. How much you wanna bet most of the other top states also re-test.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
robrules
Poster Child Poster

Post by robrules »

48. Massachusetts -- 7.2

Even though its a typo, 7.2 does sound about right. You would think with all the freakin' traffic circles in this state, Massholes would excel at them. But I guess you have to have a capacity to understand the concept of merge before you can handle them.

In this state yield and merge means stop and wait until its all lanes are clear and stop means wait just long enough for someone to get close, pull out right in front of them, and go half the speed that they were going before you cut in front of them.

I so badly want to put up signs and hand out pamphlets on how to merge onto a highway at the intersection where I get onto rte 2 everyday. My constant beeping, flipping the bird, and yelling constructive criticism out the window just haven't had the effect I hoped it would.
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

robrules wrote:48. Massachusetts -- 7.2

Even though its a typo, 7.2 does sound about right. You would think with all the freakin' traffic circles in this state, Massholes would excel at them. But I guess you have to have a capacity to understand the concept of merge before you can handle them.

In this state yield and merge means stop and wait until its all lanes are clear and stop means wait just long enough for someone to get close, pull out right in front of them, and go half the speed that they were going before you cut in front of them.

I so badly want to put up signs and hand out pamphlets on how to merge onto a highway at the intersection where I get onto rte 2 everyday. My constant beeping, flipping the bird, and yelling constructive criticism out the window just haven't had the effect I hoped it would.
I think that s/b 77.2

Do they still have rotaries aka traffic circles in Mass? We still have some down here and nobody knows how to enter, exit or yield in them. It is chaos many times.
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Cell Phones

Post by Bubba »

Bella wrote:If everyone would just hang up the damn cell phone we would probably have better drivers!
I drove from Killington to Rutland and back a little while ago, almost 100% on the cell phone, and I made it back alive without incident or accident. Nope...not the cell phones. :)
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Bubba wrote:
Bella wrote:If everyone would just hang up the damn cell phone we would probably have better drivers!
I drove from Killington to Rutland and back a little while ago, almost 100% on the cell phone, and I made it back alive without incident or accident. Nope...not the cell phones. :)
And the survey was about written driving tests and not actual driving perfomance...
ImageImageImageImage
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

Ski-N-Sail wrote: ... traffic circles ... We still have some down here and nobody knows how to enter, exit or yield in them. It is chaos many times.
yes, the circle challenged folk are a pitiful bunch
Bella
Green Skidder

Post by Bella »

Stormchaser wrote:
Bubba wrote:
And the survey was about written driving tests and not actual driving perfomance...
WHATEVER! You think you are SOOOO SPECIAL!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Bella wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
Bubba wrote:
WHATEVER! You think you are SOOOO SPECIAL!
Another critic...geesh.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

robrules wrote:48. Massachusetts -- 7.2

Merge? what is that? is that where you go to the top of the interstate ramp and stop, hoping that semi will slow down to let you in?

As for circles and driving in Mass, 2 rules. I have the right of way until you prove otherwise and NEVER look them in the eyes as this is a sign of weakness. Still not sure if the signal should be used or not. If I use it, sometimes it works in my favor, but most times it just tells the masshole he can pull out in front of me.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?