Killington not reopening this Spring!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Killington not reopening this Spring!

Post by MrsG »

“After numerous meetings and debate, we have made the difficult decision that we will not reopen for skiing, riding, or uphill travel this spring. Given our commitment to early and late season skiing, and the amount of snow remaining on Superstar, this was an especially tough call. In the video below, Mike goes into detail sharing some of the factors that influenced the decision. Thank you for your understanding as we focus our efforts on summer operations and planning for winter 2020/21 with COVID-19.

Looking ahead to summer operations, we plan to open the resort with the Golf Course this Saturday, May 23, and the Bike Park tentatively on Saturday, June 6. More details on bike park, adventure center, lodging and gondola operations will be announced soon and information on golf can be found here: https://bit.ly/3cH99ry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;“
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Killington not reopening this Spring!

Post by madhatter »

the golf rules are ridiculous...

https://www.killington.com/plan-your-tr ... ities/golf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surprised they don't require hazmat suits...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Posted on Facebook page. You can watch Mike Here

https://www.facebook.com/killingtonresort/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/killingtonreso ... 803542250/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Big Bob on May 18th, '20, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Rules seem no different then other places open
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Also no need not to allow access for people willing to hike. After most people hike once they will be done. It would be nice for the rebels to be semi legal. Force people to hike up from snowshed to limit parties and only allow the worthy.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

No ski lift .. :shock: .. no surprise :beat
As said before .. snow will remain on SS in July :sad:

Those golf restrictions are consistent..as Ed points out.
To reiterate .. couple weeks, they'll relax.
No people .. no revenue.
Course is in decent shape.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Why the exclamation point?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Collared shirts required and no jeans or shorts? Never played golf so just curious if that is normal for golf....seems awfully stuck up to me.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Bummer about the skiing, but is very understandable given where we are.

Cool to see golf opening... Im not much of a golfer but the restrictions seem in line with pretty much everything I've seen throughout New England so not a surprise either.

Also mentioned on Facebook that the bike park is tentatively opening on June 6th.

It would be really nice if they came up with some plan for out of staters and the 365 pass with regards to Vermonts 14 day quarantine. We were fully planning on the 365 passes for the whole family this year, but it is pretty hard to justify committing to the pass when the quarantine makes it all but unusable. Perhaps letting out of staters start up for the balance of the year once the quarantine is lifted or something would be an idea.
Don't Killington Pico
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

And how does an out of stater prove they have quarantined.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

The golf course rules are the same essential ones the course I belong to in CT have been using since the last week of March when we opened for the season.

Pretty standard golfing rules in the COVID-19 era.

Same with the no jeans, gym shorts and shirts needing to have collars. That's the attire policy a majority of courses have
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

throbster wrote:Why the exclamation point?
Sorry, habit :P
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

DrJeff wrote:The golf course rules are the same essential ones the course I belong to in CT have been using since the last week of March when we opened for the season.

Pretty standard golfing rules in the COVID-19 era.

Same with the no jeans, gym shorts and shirts needing to have collars. That's the attire policy a majority of courses have
i've played a bunch of times since the courses here opened a week and a half ago. the rules are a non-issue. courses have not been crowded and the rounds very relaxed due to the lengthened spacing of tee times. also kinda enjoying hitting the pipe in the hole. saves me 2 or 3 strokes per round. :lol:

as for the skiing, i held onto to a glimmer of hope but not surprised they're not re-opening and understand the reasons. but disappointed by the continued ban on uphill travel. agree they should keep the access closed forcing people to hike up from the upper snowshed lot. that would probably limit the number of folks and cut down on the tailgating. oh well let's hope this clears up enough so we have a near normal season next year.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

How can they limit uphill travel on public land?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

icedtea wrote:How can they limit uphill travel on public land?
It's not exactly "public land" some areas (like the access rd, bases lodges, and all of Pico) are private land owned by kpsrp, or s-p land. Some sections of the resort are leased from the state. Leased means that k can control access, and profit from the land.

If you ski without a pass I believe you can be charged with "theft of services" although I've only ever seen them just make the offender by a day pass.

The resort can also revoke your skiing priveleges. They did this permanently with the lady who was stuck in the k1 for a couple of hours. They often do this for a couple of weeks if you are caught skiing a closed area.

With all of this being said, there is no longer any good reason for the large barrier on the access road. Vermont has had very few cases, I understand the lifts being closed, but being blocked from the one place I want to go that is the main reason I live in Vermont is really messing with me.

The parking lot for deer leap was really full on Sunday when I drove by. Skinning superstar would be less risky.

They don't have to tell anyone, they shouldn't advertise, I just want to do what I do every May and June when the lifts close. I rarely see other people out there.

End rant.