Snow in June?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Snow in June?

Post by Dr. NO »

Have to find a link, but friend in Torrington, Wyoming reported snow the last few days, mostly up the Rocky Mountains. Nearly a foot in Utah.

So, am I the only one that noticed this?
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Re: Snow in June?

Post by jimmywilson69 »

no I noticed A-Basin had a solid 10" of course 2 days after they closed...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

.. as the Good Dr knows, but may have forgotten, it can snow in Wyoming any month of the year :like
Not all Tetons are Grand 8)

:Toast
Last edited by brownman on Jun 12th, '20, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Forever .. Goat Path
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

I still have a plow and sander on one rig. Skis are still next to the front door.
Jonathan S.
Green Skidder

Post by Jonathan S. »

My brother in Lake Tahoe (Soda Springs) got 2" right at their house.

A friend in Boise (grew up in Mendon) nordic skied on 6" with his family at Bogus Basin.

And Mount Adams in WA is getting a major refresh just in time for my late-June ski trip ... which of course I'm cancelling (unless I can borrow someone's private jet?) ... but here's probably exactly what it would look like this June, based on June of four years ago:

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

My nephew and his wife moved to soda springs. Some great pics of heavy snow storms stacking 5 or 6 feet on the cars. He loves it, wife is getting tired of the snow.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Jonathan S.
Green Skidder

Post by Jonathan S. »

Dr. NO wrote:My nephew and his wife moved to soda springs. Some great pics of heavy snow storms stacking 5 or 6 feet on the cars. He loves it, wife is getting tired of the snow.
Yes, some of those pics are crazy -- I never thought it was possible to have too much snow, but ... at one point this spring they couldn't go skiing (whether skinning or xc) b/c the trailbreaking would have been up to their shoulders (and far above the heads of their three little kids ... and they sent me a pic of their backyard play structure, with only the very top of the central spire just barely visible!
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^^^ another winning image. that's a lot of summer snow!

and as for too much snow : 2007 on the east was a good example. all of those 2-3' holiday storms created terrain traps all over mad river glen. to fall was to often spend 10-15mins extricating oneself from quicksand-like bottomless snow.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

buckethead wrote: as for too much snow : 2007 on the east was a good example. all of those 2-3' holiday storms created terrain traps all over mad river glen. to fall was to often spend 10-15mins extricating oneself from quicksand-like bottomless snow.
That is some of Mad River "Punchy Rotten Snow".
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
buckethead wrote: as for too much snow : 2007 on the east was a good example. all of those 2-3' holiday storms created terrain traps all over mad river glen. to fall was to often spend 10-15mins extricating oneself from quicksand-like bottomless snow.
I don't think MRG uses "rotten" as a description in their snow reporting ever...I laugh when I've checked the website for conditions report and it will say Primary: Thin cover on hardpack, Secondary: Moss and dirt, and then the actual report will be for a great day!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

DES wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:
I don't think MRG uses "rotten" as a description in their snow reporting ever...I laugh when I've checked the website for conditions report and it will say Primary: Thin cover on hardpack, Secondary: Moss and dirt, and then the actual report will be for a great day!
Took a picture of this sign on the top of the double back in Feb25, 2017. They most certainly use the terms Punchy and Rotten to describe snow conditions at MRG. Lack of groomer compacting the snow surfaces.
Attachments
16730485_1842469419334266_7363714722489983496_n.jpg
16730485_1842469419334266_7363714722489983496_n.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
DES wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:
Took a picture of this sign on the top of the double back in Feb25, 2017. They most certainly use the terms Punchy and Rotten to describe snow conditions at MRG. Lack of groomer compacting the snow surfaces.
I stand corrected! I should have written "as a NEGATIVE description" (but you know me, I wasn't saying what I wrote in a negative way...I'd ski any kind of surface if there's lift access) :D
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^^ in fact i'd never heard of rotten snow til i started skiing mad and reading the daily snow reports.

GIS: as for punchiness, not the case. it was a case of bottomless unconsolidated pow. as i recall president's week, valentine's. st patty's each dumped 2-3 feet without any warming in between. it was fall and sink and swim. got my first taste of treewell's too. i could extend my poles to the limit and still have no bottom to push off.

+1 DES on any conditions. save bulletproof death-slide ice, filling-loosening moonscape. i will ski in the r*in. ;0]
Jonathan S.
Green Skidder

Post by Jonathan S. »

buckethead wrote:[...]and as for too much snow : 2007 on the east was a good example. all of those 2-3' holiday storms created terrain traps all over mad river glen. to fall was to often spend 10-15mins extricating oneself from quicksand-like bottomless snow.
Here's a sequence (late-February near Mt Hood) I use for teaching about NARSID -- "Non-Avalanche Related Snow Immersion Death" -- in my avalanche safety classes.
(It's somewhat misleading though, as I was able to self-extricate since I fell in straight up, and I was on the ascent so I could skin out ... while my touring partner just laughed and took pictures.)

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

DES wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:
DES wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:
I stand corrected! I should have written "as a NEGATIVE description" (but you know me, I wasn't saying what I wrote in a negative way...I'd ski any kind of surface if there's lift access) :D
DES/GIS.
WTF?

Ski It If You Can !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!