NSR: Corona Virus - You Can Start Panicking Now

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: NSR: Corona Virus - You Can Start Panicking Now

Post by madhatter »

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... ject-virus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This nightmare fuel was discovered by researchers led by the University of California, San Francisco.

"There are long strings that poke holes in other cells and the virus passes through the tube from cell to cell," said UCSF's Director of the Quantitative Biosciences Institute, Professor Nevan Krogan. "Our hypothesis is that these speed up infection."

The images taken by scientists at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) laboratory in the US and University of Freiburg in Germany will be published in the medical journal Cell on Saturday.

Most viruses do not cause infected cells to grow these tentacles. Even those that do, such as smallpox, do not have as many or the same type of branching as Sars-Cov-2, the virus behind Covid-19. -FT

According to the report, the silver lining is that the tentacle discovery may pave the way for a number of drugs to work against the disease - most of which were previously being used to treat cancer.

"It totally makes sense there's an overlap in anticancer drugs and an antiviral effect," said Prof. Krogan, who added that cancers, HIV and SARS-CoV-2 are all searching for the "Achilles heel of the cell."

Potential drugs include silmitasertib, made by Taiwan-based Senhwa Biosciences - which is working with the NIH on trials in the US. The drug works by inhibiting the CK2 enzyme which is used to build the tubes.
Remember, the official narrative is that the virus - which specializes in infecting humans and packs ultra-rare 'infection tentacles' - did not emerge from a Chinese biolab located at 'ground zero' for the pandemic, where scientists had previously come under international scrutiny for conducting 'gain of function' experiments in which chimeric coronaviruses were genetically engineered for the sole purpose of infecting humans.

But we digress.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

A routine trope in the media is that people who oppose lockdowns are pushing freedom and wealth over safety and health. But as we can see from this clean examination of the results, the open states experienced less economic pain and less pain from the disease itself.

We are seeing desperate attempts by politicians, public health officials, and media commentators somehow to make sense of why the United States pursued the course it did with the closures, stay-home orders, travel bans, and near-universal quarantine, in violation of every principle that America has celebrated in its civic culture.

With the evidence coming in that the lockdowns were neither economically nor medically effective, it is going to be increasingly difficult for lockdown partisans to marshal the evidence to convince the public that isolating people, destroying businesses, and destroying social institutions was worth it.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Deaths lag infections.

Cases lag reopening, just like we are seeing with Georgia and S. Carolina (recall you called me all kinds of names for parroting Fauci that they were indeed reopening too early). Both are doing worse now than they were during the first wave.
It seems from the latest stuff I've been reading that it's really all about wearing masks and maintaining social distance when possible. It seems like many in these southern states have been far too trusting of their idiot political leaders and not trusting enough of the medical professionals, because lots of people in those areas aren't wearing masks and aren't taking social distancing seriously. I know people who have visited Florida who have expressed dismay that many will go in and out of stores and not bother with masks. It's also extremely idiotic to see these people continue to go to church every Sunday when that sort of thing can very easily be done remotely in this day and age.

Much of the blame falls on these dumb politicians who are reopening too quickly without emphasizing the dangers. Trump has to bear some of the blame for this, too, with his antics about not wearing masks. Dumb as it sounds to many of us, there are many more who follow his example. Wearing masks should not be a political statement, but somehow that's where we've ended up, and Trump has a lot to do with it.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Like a miracle it will go away
Attachments
9E6AB33B-4423-4009-9D27-AF068DC936A4.jpeg
9E6AB33B-4423-4009-9D27-AF068DC936A4.jpeg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Like a miracle it will go away
Japan on that chart!
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Nikoli wrote:Japan on that chart!
Considering the population difference between Japan and Europe, they are not that far apart in terms of how well they've done with this.

Also seems like Europe and China have already started human trials of their vaccines, while in the U.S. human trials haven't even begun yet:

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/what-w ... 19-vaccine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... e-n1230186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tell me again how our private health care system is so superior to the public systems in Japan and Europe?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote:
Considering the population difference between Japan and Europe, they are not that far apart in terms of how well they've done with this.

Also seems like Europe and China have already started human trials of their vaccines, while in the U.S. human trials haven't even begun yet:

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/what-w ... 19-vaccine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... e-n1230186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tell me again how our private health care system is so superior to the public systems in Japan and Europe?
Public health care systems have nothing to do with vaccine trials. That is drug company research related. Furthermore, the public health systems of Europe, ie Spain, Italy and more, were just as overwhelmed as the private health system(s) here in the US in the early days of the pandemic.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote:

Vaccine human trials for US-based pharma companies started already. America may have a vaccine first AND have the ability to manufacture millions of doses before end of year.
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
easyrider16 wrote:

Vaccine human trials for US-based pharma companies started already. America may have a vaccine first AND have the ability to manufacture millions of doses before end of year.
Still not getting a vaccine unless they required in order to get an immunity card.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Many people agree with you, apparently:
A CNN poll last month found one-third of Americans said they would not try to get vaccinated against Covid, even if the vaccine is widely available and low cost.
Fauci noted that "there is a general anti-science, anti-authority, anti-vaccine feeling among some people in this country -- an alarmingly large percentage of people, relatively speaking."
He said given the power of the anti-vaccine movement, "we have a lot of work to do" to educate people on the truth about vaccines.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/health/f ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Guy in Shorts wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
easyrider16 wrote:

Still not getting a vaccine unless they required in order to get an immunity card.
Why not? Have you received any other vaccines like MMR? If so, what makes this one different?
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Of course I received the needed childhood shots to play with the herd in the public school system. Also let the Navy pull all four wisdom teeth so that could serve in the Submarine Service. Given the choice I'm willing to bet on my strong immunity system for protection. Really not waiting for a vaccine to get back to normal. Buying airline tickets now for Fall and Winter travel plans.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Guy in Shorts wrote:Given the choice I'm willing to bet on my strong immunity system for protection. Really not waiting for a vaccine to get back to normal.
Part of the benefits of this vaccine, just like the others you've had, is it doesn't just protect you but others that may not have your strong immunity.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Why not? Have you received any other vaccines like MMR? If so, what makes this one different?
I don't really get this notion, either. Vaccines have eliminated many diseases and generally made life better for humanity, with extremely low rates of complication. I realize this one is being rushed, but I don't really see where the risk is for the person being vaccinated. Seems to me the big risk is that it won't be effective, not that it's going to turn your insides to jelly or any other such nonsense.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

From the State of Mass today in case anyone missed it:

Updated Travel Guidelines to Support COVID-19 Response. Effective Wednesday, July 1, all travelers arriving to Massachusetts, including residents returning home, are instructed to self-quarantine for 14-days. This guidance does not apply to travelers from Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New York or New Jersey. Additionally, workers designated by the federal government as essential critical infrastructure workers are also exempt from this directive.

Travelers who are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 are instructed to not travel to Massachusetts.

All visitors and residents of Massachusetts are also reminded that the use of masks or face coverings in public places where individuals cannot socially distance from others remains required.

These new guidelines replace previously announced Massachusetts travel guidance.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/trave ... achusetts-