Anyone else bailing on 365?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Re: Anyone else bailing on 365?

Post by ME2VTSkier »

boston_e wrote:
ME2VTSkier wrote:
That will never fly. If they only allow a few to trickle over the mountains, that will spell the end of the industry, and the income it provides the states. You've got to pack the house to make any profit.
True, but what are the options if there is a spike in cases that requires something different from business as usual?

(fingers obviously crossed that it does not come to that)
What option do you have? None. You shut down completely and try not to lose anymore money. Close the doors and prep everything for long-term storage/shutdown until the issue passes. You can't keep hemorrhaging cash knowing you are only going to make pennies back on every dollar spent.

Going to be very interesting how serious the snowmaking effort is going to be industry-wide, this coming fall. I'd be will to bet there is going to be a lot of "wait and see" before there are big commitments to heavy duty snowmaking production. A lot of it hinging on if there is a large increase in C-19 as the cold weather returns, and the possibilities of renewed quarantines.

Any word on World Cup yet?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Can't have a world cup unless the worlds borders reopen. Can you go to Canada now? (Only with family there and along quarantine period.)
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

thebigo wrote:
Big Bob wrote:VT lifts 14 day quarantine for residents of certain counties with less than 400 cases per million population.

https://www.mountaintimes.info/indoor-d ... pkeCa6GHiI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My county is within this metric

This is similar to what I posted months ago and got the sh*t kicked out of me by the K Zone experts. Time to open Superstar, a little magic with the groomer by Brian and it will be good to go!
If I am not mistaken you live in Lee, I live in Nottingham; there is maybe a couple miles between our houses. Neither Lee nor Nottingham have any active cases. Lee has had a total of 11 cases, Nottingham has had a total of 5 cases. You can travel to Vermont, I am not allowed.

400 per million in strafford county is 52 people. Fast forward to December, there is an outbreak in a hospital, church, grocery store, factory, etc and suddenly you cannot use your pass? How about you live in Hanover, 35 people at DHMC get sick and you are not allowed to cross the border?

The insanity of this policy alone would scare me off buying any Vermont pass for next year.
Welcome to the club, you are now worthy to visit VT.:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=101 ... 7056106290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/resta ... k-OogLU2l0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

T minus 20 days to make a final decision...

With all the uncertainty, quarantines starting to re-emerge in other states, and nothing in the pass holders promise addressing it, right now we are leaning towards bailing on the 365 pass and just doing the least expensive / lowest risk option and just getting Pico passes, plus a couple of K Tickets. If things look improved by the end of the season we can get a spring pass if we want.

Looking at things right now, I'm doubting we would do a western trip, but if we did, Epic extended their early price through September and we could do a 4 day pass or something for a quick power trip.

Overall the delta between the total family cost for 365 passes and Pico passes gives us a lot of A-La-Carte dollars to spend if we want come this fall and next winter.

Overall the whole thing is a bummer. Had been really psyched for the 365 this year.
Don't Killington Pico
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I purchased my 365 Monthly pass and will take the chance of losing the additional money if the season does not happen.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Our Killington Passholder Promise just got a little sweeter. Qualified Killington season passes are now covered with new In Season COVID-19 Coverage, so that you can buy with the confidence to ski and ride through the 2020-21 season.

With so much uncertainty, you can rest assured, knowing that, should there be a covered COVID-19 related interruption during the 2020-21 season, you'll receive a pro-rated voucher for future use on a Killington season pass or K-Tickets. Unlike other offers, there is no limit on how many days per season Killington passholders can ski or ride and still qualify for an In Season COVID-19 Coverage voucher.

We appreciate your patronage and hope that our In Season COVID-19 Coverage gives you the confidence you need to look to next winter with excitement. We all need something good to look forward to. Here’s to a great ski and snowboard season at Killington Resort.
Learn More

IN SEASON COVID-19 COVERAGE DETAILS

For 2020/21 Killington Unlimited, Midweek and College Season passholders: You will receive a future use voucher if between December 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021 Killington is closed because of COVID-19 for 30 days or more, or there is a 7 or more consecutive day COVID-19-related closure. The voucher value will be determined on a pro-rata formula based on the amount paid for the pass held, a 151-day season (103-day season for Midweek passes), and the number of days lost due to a COVID-19-related interruption between December 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021. So, for example, if the amount paid for a season pass is $1,000 and there is a 35-day COVID-19-related interruption, the value of the voucher for use on a 2021/22 pass would be $233. [$1,000*(35/151)=$232]. This offer is subject to terms and conditions, click here for more information.

For 2020/21 Beast 365 Passholders: If Killington is closed because of COVID-19 for 14 days or more, or there is a 7 or more consecutive day COVID-19-related closure within a month a discount will be applied towards the second month following the closure. The discount value will be determined on a pro-rata formula based on the amount of the monthly payment, number of days in the month, and the number of days lost due to a COVID-19-related interruption. So, for example, if the amount of the monthly payment is $112 and there is a 15-day COVID-19-related interruption in January, the value of the discount for March would be $54. [$112*(15/31)=$54.19]. The discount is not applied in February to give us time to properly apply discounts. For Beast 365 Passes paid in full, passholders will receive a credit voucher towards the 2021/22 season equal to the amount of credits applied to monthly payments at the end of the 2020/21 season. This offer is subject to terms and conditions, click here for more information.

For K-Tickets: You will receive a future use voucher if between December 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021 Killington is closed because of COVID-19 for 30 days or more. The voucher value will equal the amount paid for unused tickets. So, for example, if the amount paid for 7 K-Tickets is $79 each, only 5 of the tickets are used during the season and there is a 35-day COVID-19-related interruption, the purchaser will receive 2 $79 vouchers. This offer is subject to terms and conditions, click here for more information.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Nice . . .
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

There will be a season!!!!

The bars and lodges may be closed.

Butt there will be skiing!!!
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

It is good to see but unfortunately still does not address the scenario of the resort being able to operate but the state imposing the 14 day quarantine.
Don't Killington Pico
gardi
Green Skidder

Post by gardi »

boston_e wrote:It is good to see but unfortunately still does not address the scenario of the resort being able to operate but the state imposing the 14 day quarantine.
What I also find confusing is that they have made the 365 pass less attractive with this policy, especially considering that the 14 day quarantine might make it hard to use the pass in the summer. Let's assume that they are able to open normally but then have to close from December 15th to March 1st. A regular season pass holder would get a $496.7 voucher. A 365 pass holder would only get $278.2.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

holy crapperolli!!!

I've never seen such whining over a few bux...it's 1200(ish) bux for the entire year(365pass)...vs 100(ish) dollar day ticket....if you think you can do better with day tickets then go for it...otherwise suck it up and buy the pass...

how many more pages of whining do we need to draw this obvious conclusion?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
gardi
Green Skidder

Post by gardi »

madhatter wrote:holy crapperolli!!!

I've never seen such whining over a few bux...it's 1200(ish) bux for the entire year(365pass)...vs 100(ish) dollar day ticket....if you think you can do better with day tickets then go for it...otherwise suck it up and buy the pass...

I wasn't whining, just confused by the marketing decision...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

For an individual sure... but for me the 365 pass is $4910 after sales tax for the whole family, and as of today, if I follow the Vermont and Killington directives regarding quarantining, I'm not allowed to come use it... so for us this year yeah, it is kind of a big decision and might make more sense to buy pico passes (as you know we ski a fair amount at pico anyway) plus a few k-tickets which would put us in a much lower money loss situation if it turns out we can't use the passes due to this whole thing.
Don't Killington Pico
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

boston_e wrote:

For an individual sure... but for me the 365 pass is $4910 after sales tax for the whole family, and as of today, if I follow the Vermont and Killington directives regarding quarantining, I'm not allowed to come use it... so for us this year yeah, it is kind of a big decision and might make more sense to buy pico passes (as you know we ski a fair amount at pico anyway) plus a few k-tickets which would put us in a much lower money loss situation if it turns out we can't use the passes due to this whole thing.
that wasn't directed specifically at you, but it was plainly obvious post covid that K wasn't looking to " take the passholders money and run" ..their refund/compensation policy was more than generous IMO...it's unreasonable to think that should any similar " catastrophe" occur that K wouldn't do the right thing....

anyone who ski's more than a handful of days gets their "money's worth" from their pass pretty early in the season....yeah ya might not get it down to 6 bux a day but your per day of skiing cost is well below the day ticket price...even the pre-buy price...does the mtn still owe you something after you've reached that point?....

I don't think so but apparently enough people are concerned because the mtn is addressing it...just seems like kicking a hurt puppy when it's down just cuz ya can get away with it...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
gardi
Green Skidder

Post by gardi »

madhatter wrote:that wasn't directed specifically at you, but it was plainly obvious post covid that K wasn't looking to " take the passholders money and run" ..their refund/compensation policy was more than generous IMO...it's unreasonable to think that should any similar " catastrophe" occur that K wouldn't do the right thing....

anyone who ski's more than a handful of days gets their "money's worth" from their pass pretty early in the season....yeah ya might not get it down to 6 bux a day but your per day of skiing cost is well below the day ticket price...even the pre-buy price...does the mtn still owe you something after you've reached that point?....

I don't think so but apparently enough people are concerned because the mtn is addressing it...just seems like kicking a hurt puppy when it's down just cuz ya can get away with it...
I don't disagree with you, but a business decision is... well, a business decision. If Killington is doing this it's likely because otherwise enough people might decide not to buy a pass (and perhaps they are seeing way less sales than usual) or go for the competition. And if people don't buy a pass there's no way to know if they will end up coming as often or at all if they maybe get scared of traveling and stuck with having to pay day ticket prices. Let's face it, I hope it won't happen, but there's a pretty good chance that the state will make the mountain shut down at some point. This latest announcement seems to mainly be targeting regular pass holders (the 365 policy was pretty much the same already except for the prorating). I'd have thought that their goal was to try to sell as many 365 passes as possible, but maybe I'm wrong. I renewed my 365 a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure lots of people will consider the numbers and the uncertainty with the coming season before they purchase a pass. It might be that they are happy with the number of 365 passes that they have sold and/or that they think that the addition of the Ikon will be enough incentive for people to switch to 365. I also wonder if adding the Ikon has made the 365 less profitable for the mountain.