2020 Garden Thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: 2020 Garden Thread

Post by daytripper »

Mister Moose wrote:Something is getting to my blueberries, and I'm stumped. They are tightly cased in 1/2 inch mesh, no way Hoover is getting in. Maybe mice.

Here's a great dissertation on summer vegetables, Lake Wobegon style.

The main thief of my blueberries is robins. They don't touch the raspberries or strawberries though. I always thought robins only ate bugs and worms until I caught them stealing blueberries.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

daytripper wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:Something is getting to my blueberries, and I'm stumped. They are tightly cased in 1/2 inch mesh, no way Hoover is getting in. Maybe mice.

The main thief of my blueberries is robins. They don't touch the raspberries or strawberries though. I always thought robins only ate bugs and worms until I caught them stealing blueberries.
I caught two of my dogs eating raspberries right off the bush. Ripe ones only! I was amazed.
ImageImageImageImage
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Stormchaser wrote:
daytripper wrote:

I caught two of my dogs eating raspberries right off the bush. Ripe ones only! I was amazed.
Guess they love raspberries as much as I do.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

The birds annihilate my blueberries. I put a net up last year and the dumb things kept getting stuck in there.

We get wine berry by me an invasive cousin of the raspberry.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

daytripper wrote:

Pellet gun. Destroy them all. They are such a nuisance.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

icedtea wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
daytripper wrote:The main thief of my blueberries is robins. They don't touch the raspberries or strawberries though. I always thought robins only ate bugs and worms until I caught them stealing blueberries.
The birds annihilate my blueberries. I put a net up last year and the dumb things kept getting stuck in there.
berries.jpg
berries.jpg (132.48 KiB) Viewed 765 times
While I can't save a single blueberry near the house, out in the field there is a raspberry patch that has thousands. Blackberries coming on strong too. Maybe the best weapon is volume.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I think squirrels are getting to my strawberries. I was able to have some early on but now they seem to disappear.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

tyrolean_skier wrote:I think squirrels are getting to my strawberries. I was able to have some early on but now they seem to disappear.
Chip and Dale wiped out my crop. Killed over dozen with rat traps. Wife picked out another 1/2 dozen with the pellet gun. Darn rodents.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:I think squirrels are getting to my strawberries. I was able to have some early on but now they seem to disappear.
Chip and Dale wiped out my crop. Killed over dozen with rat traps. Wife picked out another 1/2 dozen with the pellet gun. Darn rodents.
Did they get to the garlic too?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I'm trying to finish up my lettuce and radicchio. Picked 3 cucumbers today. Had a tomato a week ago. More are starting mature now. The peppers are still growing. Picked and ate string beans and radishes too. Need to replant more radishes.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:
Did they get to the garlic too?
Garlic is safe. Wife lost a couple of the cucumber and squash plants before she went Annie Oakley on them.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Skiergirl thought she planted cucumbers.

Looks like we will be making lots of pickles this year.

The birds have been a menace, but the watch dogs keep them away for now....
Where is Happy Hour ?
pepperdawg
Black Carver

Post by pepperdawg »

Squash (yellow) been rocking - over 30 picked so far. Pickles starting to produce big yields now...lots of tomatoes, but still green.....Lettuce was strong, but wrapping up....basil had a good spring.....Zuch's starting now.

Peppers no good. Carrots no good - will try again - tired some of those seed "tape" - some radishes tho As mentioned tomatoes late it seems.
-Woof
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Need to grab a photo of my garden, it went crazy while I was on vacation last week. My pepper plants are so loaded and big I had to stake them already. Have numerous Cubanelle, Shishito, and jalapeno fruits. Tomatoes are fruiting as well.

I should've done a better job spacing plants. I've never gardened in a raised bed before, so now I know.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

yup "woody" pretty much decimated my broccoli (18 plants) crop. they were just heading. hoping for secondaries now that they've been nicely "pruned". may pull a couple and put in a butternut. also munched on lettuce, peas & brussel sprouts.

picked about a dozen zucchini in the last week or so. and that's just from 2 plants. can't keep up. acorn & spaghetti producing well. cauliflower heading. had asparagus for dinner last night but nearing the end. some cherry tomatoes are just reddening. once they go, gonna be buried. disappointing blueberry crop. smallish and some are dried up. think they were effected by the drought.
spoiled South American skiin' whore