Trump Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Trump Presidency

Post by deadheadskier »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/ ... impeached/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Preformed a wellness check on The Hatter a few days ago. He is alive and well. We had a great laugh over the fact the for the second time Trump will not only be our choice but likely to win again. Even the Donald will admit that he would lose to the likes of a JFK Jr. The Dems deserve what they get when they serve up candidates like crooked Hillary and cluelesss Uncle Joe.

Reasons I like Trump
1) The Economy - Market run from the 18,000 level up into the high twenties meant that I could retire early using my 401K. Love the fact that a businessman is running the show rather than a career politician.

2) Peace President - World wide cast of bad dudes seem to be afraid to poke The Orangeman.

3) Secure Border - We need to reform the immigration system rather than allowing those that sneak in to stay.

4) Social Security - Best chance to prop up this ponzi scheme system is a booming Trump economy.

5) Fair trade deals - Putting America First. China is not our friend.

6) Tax cuts - My personal effective tax rate is <9% following the tax cuts. Lowered to <7% when the stimulus rebate is factored in. Really would prefer that our government lived within a budget rather then send my money back. Have hired a local contractor to replace deck sticking that money right back into the economy.

7) He is not Hillary. It is going to be hard to root against Uncle Joe. Easier to just feel sorry for him.

8) Nonstop Trump entertainment deserves a four year encore.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Does anyone understand this Kodak play? Giving nearly $1B of tax dollars via a non-recourse debt model (a loan nearly 7x the value of Kodak itself) to a camera company to pivot it into a generics pharma company to manufacture an unapproved drug for COVID?!

I don’t know all the particulars but this just smells rotten. Plenty of generic companies out there making this drug today so we infuse Kodak with these funds?
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

GIS...for the win. Correct of so very many points. :Toast
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Does anyone understand this Kodak play? Giving nearly $1B of tax dollars via a non-recourse debt model (a loan nearly 7x the value of Kodak itself) to a camera company to pivot it into a generics pharma company to manufacture an unapproved drug for COVID?!

I don’t know all the particulars but this just smells rotten. Plenty of generic companies out there making this drug today so we infuse Kodak with these funds?
Why would you care about a little government corruption? Can't you see we're getting tax breaks and a strong economy?!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Does anyone understand this Kodak play? Giving nearly $1B of tax dollars via a non-recourse debt model (a loan nearly 7x the value of Kodak itself) to a camera company to pivot it into a generics pharma company to manufacture an unapproved drug for COVID?!

Why would you care about a little government corruption? Can't you see we're getting tax breaks and a strong economy?!
It is immaterial. This much is true.
Sporte
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Sporte »

Not entirely sure why Kodak but they have been in the drug business before. They owned Sterling Drug. They also have a good bit of infrastructure in Rochester which may include a pool of potential employees if the remnants of Sterling are still in business there – now owned by SKB. Both Republicans and Democrats are concerned that so much of the US supply of API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) is made in China. Particularly after China made noises about cutting off API supply.
The US has very little generic pharmaceutical manufacturing left. Kodak may just be one of the few US companies with the infrastructure and desire to do this. The idea is to eventually manufacture a large number of APIs, not just hydroxychloroquine.
BTW, the idea of using hydroxychloroquine is not as crazy as CNN and MSNBC would have us believe. It is known to have significant antiviral activity. The Lancet study panning it for COVID-19 was withdrawn even if CNN acts like it never was. There have been peer reviewed papers recently published in major journals that show it may be useful (https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)30534-8/fulltext). While the jury is still out, it not nearly as nuts as CNN would have you believe. Nevertheless, the amount of money given to Kodak is minor when considering starting up a major API manufacturing effort. I think there will be more to come if this is ever to get off the ground.
Sporte
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Sporte »

I notice the link doesn't work. Here is the bottom line:

Discussion

The results of this study demonstrate that in a strictly monitored protocol-driven in-hospital setting, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin was associated with a significant reduction in mortality among patients hospitalized with COVID-19. In this study, among one of the largest COVID-19 hospital patient cohorts (n = 2,541) assembled in a single institution, overall in-hospital COVID-19 associated mortality was 18.1% reflecting a high prevalence of co-morbid conditions in COVID-19 patients admitted to our institution.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

86 45
Forever .. Goat Path
Sporte
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Sporte »

I should have known better...
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

brownman wrote:86 45
2 x 45 added to the negative 86ers = 4 more years. Because math.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The new study on hydroxychloroquine is potentially good news. What bothers me is that this has become political, and it has become political primarily because Trump made it so. He should never have made pronouncements regarding the efficacy of any drugs, and he should have deferred to medical experts. Instead, he's undermined Dr. Fauci and the FDA, which are part of his own administration. Is it any wonder that the US is handling this disease worse than any other developed nation in the world?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote:The new study on hydroxychloroquine is potentially good news. What bothers me is that this has become political, and it has become political primarily because Trump made it so. He should never have made pronouncements regarding the efficacy of any drugs, and he should have deferred to medical experts. Instead, he's undermined Dr. Fauci and the FDA, which are part of his own administration. Is it any wonder that the US is handling this disease worse than any other developed nation in the world?

Removing randomization usually helps increase the success of a trial. In this case, it wasn’t a trial but a study. We should be weary in accepting results from a study that differs so greatly from controlled clinical trials performed all across the globe. I’m sure we’ll get more news soon, but right now this doesn’t seem like the data necessary to get FDA to change its position.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

New Trumpcare Plan to be announced today yes? Cheaper and better than the ACA!

Can't wait to see it!

https://www.newsandguts.com/trump-promi ... -tomorrow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote:The new study on hydroxychloroquine is potentially good news. What bothers me is that this has become political, and it has become political primarily because Trump made it so. He should never have made pronouncements regarding the efficacy of any drugs, and he should have deferred to medical experts. Instead, he's undermined Dr. Fauci and the FDA, which are part of his own administration. Is it any wonder that the US is handling this disease worse than any other developed nation in the world?

The left is just as guilty of politicizing it as Trump is.