Bikers vs Skiers/Riders Etiquette

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Bikers vs Skiers/Riders Etiquette

Post by Bubba »

We’ve walked the Cape Cod Rail Trail here in Orleans a couple of times the past week and we’re finding that folks on bikes alert you to their approach from behind far more often than skiers and riders do at Killington. I’ve heard “on your left” more on two trail walks than I did all last season at Killington. Apparently a few signs on the rail trail work better than whatever they teach skiers and riders these days.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Bikers vs Skiers/Riders tiqette

Post by SnoBrdr »

I find it ieasier to get one's attention if they on a bike as opposed to skis.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Bikers vs Skiers/Riders tiqette

Post by SnoBrdr »

I find it ieasier to get one's attention if they on a bike as opposed to skis.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Jonathan S.
Green Skidder

Re: Bikers vs Skiers/Riders Etiquette

Post by Jonathan S. »

Bubba wrote: Sep 6th, '20, 19:42 We’ve walked the Cape Cod Rail Trail here in Orleans a couple of times the past week and we’re finding that folks on bikes alert you to their approach from behind far more often than skiers and riders do at Killington. I’ve heard “on your left” more on two trail walks than I did all last season at Killington. Apparently a few signs on the rail trail work better than whatever they teach skiers and riders these days.
Hmm, interesting, never thought about that compare/contrast.
When I was on another bike path on Cape Cod recently (this one: www.strava.com/activities/3908856911) I mainly noticed a helmet usage rate somewhere close to that of NH motorcycle week. (Ditto for cyclists in Provincetown.)

On the bike path at our house in Western Mass, when I run or walk on it, probably <10% of cyclists say anything or ring a bell -- can be kind of unnerving getting passed, especially by the faster cyclists, and especially when out with the family. (I have our young daughter hug the right side of our lane, on the idea that I'm better able to withstand any impact.)

When I ride on the path, I always ring my bell (which BTW is pretty much the dorkiest thing you can put on a good bike).
By contrast, when skiing, just how close does a pass have to better to merit calling out Passing...?
I suppose the answer is, if you're close enough that the slower skier can hear you.
But I probably call out Passing... only on a narrow catrack.
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

Okay I can never figure out where people are trying to get to so fast. If you've ever skied with kids or someone new to skiing you know how terrifying it can be going down an easier trail and having an expert blow by you. Typically if I'm coming upon someone whether on skis or a bike that is going slower than me I will just hang behind them a ways until we get to a spot where either they stop or there is an opening to pass them. This is definitely worse on single track bike trails but on trails like LaunchPad or lower GE, Bearly, or especially highlander, it's safest to just ski a little slower.

I know it's different if a bike encounters someone on foot, but there really isn't a skiing equivalent to that. I don't see many people hiking on bike trails around here.
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

While we're talking about etiquette what really grinds my gears is when someone gets through the lift line and then once at the ramp, decides that they have to wait for their friends. All you've done is confused everyone and got in the way. It should take the exact same amount of time to wait for your friends before getting in line.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Ear buds render audio alerts essentially moot .. especially if a ski helmet is in use. We use a whistle if a pack of knuckle draggers are sprawled in front of us. They scatter.. :lol:

On a travelled bike path, a pleasant bell chime works well and is traditionally accepted. Cape trails can get pretty congested. Roller bladers make things tricky. Dogs as well. :dislike We ride road and rarely encounter any problem.

Mtn bikers passing etiquette is dependent on the resolution of the GoPro :twisted:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

LocalSanity wrote: Sep 7th, '20, 18:32 Okay I can never figure out where people are trying to get to so fast. If you've ever skied with kids or someone new to skiing you know how terrifying it can be going down an easier trail and having an expert blow by you. Typically if I'm coming upon someone whether on skis or a bike that is going slower than me I will just hang behind them a ways until we get to a spot where either they stop or there is an opening to pass them. This is definitely worse on single track bike trails but on trails like LaunchPad or lower GE, Bearly, or especially highlander, it's safest to just ski a little slower.

I know it's different if a bike encounters someone on foot, but there really isn't a skiing equivalent to that. I don't see many people hiking on bike trails around here.
all of those trails you mention are so flat that they require snowboarders to carry their speed through the flats or have to take out their back foot and push, especially if conditions that day are grabby.

beginners absolutely do not belong on launch pad - while it is relatively flat, it is narrow and with a slight double fall line that drops you off into the woods on the left side of the trail if you're not experienced enough to handle such terrain. i dont know how difficult that would be for a beginner skier - i would imagine it would be very intimidating, but for a beginner snowboarder it would be a nightmare, especially if they are regular foot as their calves would be burning halfway through for being on their toe edge for so long.

IMO theres nothing worse than more advanced skiers who should know better using narrow flat trails like launch pad to practice their slalom turns. what the f*ck are you doing... seriously..

also FYI i always let people know I'm passing in narrow spaces where if they make a turn at the wrong time it could lead to trouble for us both. whether or not they can hear me is another story.
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

I don't know how they get there, but I see people and whole families snowplowing down LP all the time probably because of the factors you mentioned. Also of note: LP is entirely downhill. (until you get to the glacier) You can stop at any point, then continue without skating. Most snowboarders have to unstrap at superstar anyway. It's a really bad trail overall for snowboarders. It's also not the place for slalom turns.

I see people fly by lost tourists, unknowingly making the tourist fall, only to stop at superstar and wait for their buddies. Like what was the point in that?
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

If you're an experienced snowboarder you should never have to unstrap at superstar coming from LP. If you just keep your speed it's easy.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

LocalSanity wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 09:36 I don't know how they get there, but I see people and whole families snowplowing down LP all the time probably because of the factors you mentioned. Also of note: LP is entirely downhill. (until you get to the glacier) You can stop at any point, then continue without skating. Most snowboarders have to unstrap at superstar anyway. It's a really bad trail overall for snowboarders. It's also not the place for slalom turns.

I see people fly by lost tourists, unknowingly making the tourist fall, only to stop at superstar and wait for their buddies. Like what was the point in that?
Launch Pad started life as the original Great Eastern. A novice trail from K Peak down to the original gondola base back when Superstar was a narrow natural snow trail. A novice can manage it and could manage it in the era of lace boots, cable bindings, and wood skis with screw-on edges. The problem is too much uphill capacity and the yahoos going too fast for their ability level.
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

Geoff wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 11:15 The problem is too much uphill capacity and the yahoos going too fast for their ability level.
Some of these "yahoos" are decent riders. I just don't see why people are in such a rush to get down these trails, or why they have to jump to the front of the maze to just wait for their friends.
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

Geoff wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 11:15
LocalSanity wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 09:36 I don't know how they get there, but I see people and whole families snowplowing down LP all the time probably because of the factors you mentioned. Also of note: LP is entirely downhill. (until you get to the glacier) You can stop at any point, then continue without skating. Most snowboarders have to unstrap at superstar anyway. It's a really bad trail overall for snowboarders. It's also not the place for slalom turns.

Launch Pad started life as the original Great Eastern. A novice trail from K Peak down to the original gondola base back when Superstar was a narrow natural snow trail. A novice can manage it and could manage it in the era of lace boots, cable bindings, and wood skis with screw-on edges. The problem is too much uphill capacity and the yahoos going too fast for their ability level.
This
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

LocalSanity wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 13:25
Geoff wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 11:15 The problem is too much uphill capacity and the yahoos going too fast for their ability level.
Some of these "yahoos" are decent riders. I just don't see why people are in such a rush to get down these trails, or why they have to jump to the front of the maze to just wait for their friends.
If you hit someone, you’re not a “decent rider”.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

LocalSanity wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 09:36 Most snowboarders have to unstrap at superstar anyway. It's a really bad trail overall for snowboarders.
I agree with most of your sentiments about people going too fast, especially on high-traffic, narrow trails (lower caper is another bad one). But point of order - as a snowboarder I've never had to unstrap going from Launch Pad to Superstar. When they build up superstar really high, there's definitely a point where you have to bomb down from about the front of old super to make it to the top of the glacier, but most snowboarders should be able to do this unless they are rank beginners. Launch pad does kind of suck for beginner and low-level intermediate snowboarders, but for most snowboarders it's really not bad.