Vermont Skier Visits

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Vermont Skier Visits

Post by Bubba »

From Vermont Business Magazine on-line. The article provides historical information back to the 1962-1963 season.

Vermont skier visits through the years

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2020/octobe ... -286700865
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Vermont Skier Visits

Post by easyrider16 »

Great, 4.1 mil skiers per year average. Now does anyone have a crystal ball and can predict what skier visits will look like in 2020 - 2021?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

86-87 really stands out with 5.2 million. Kind of an outlier when compared with the rest. Wonder why.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Dickc wrote: Oct 12th, '20, 14:56 86-87 really stands out with 5.2 million. Kind of an outlier when compared with the rest. Wonder why.
The Glory years ..abundant natural .. rockin times 👍
: :like Killington Chair :like

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

What's interesting to me is that the population in the united states grew from 240 million to 330 million from '85 to the present, an increase of 37.5%, while skier visits pretty much remained flat, maybe even decreasing slightly.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Its expensive as sh*t to ski. At least thats what people who don't ski think. Now with $100 plus day tickets that perception is in even greater
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Dickc wrote: Oct 12th, '20, 14:56 86-87 really stands out with 5.2 million. Kind of an outlier when compared with the rest. Wonder why.
People were blinded by the fluorescent ski clothing so a lot dropped out in 87-88?

DUI tightened from 0.1% to 0.08% with strict enforcement so all those skiers had suspended licenses?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

jimmywilson69 wrote:Its expensive as sh*t to ski. At least thats what people who don't ski think. Now with $100 plus day tickets that perception is in even greater
A decent dinner is 50 to100 bucks.

And it's gone In 24 hours.

Skiing is alot of work. TG people are lazy. Beach preferred.

I hope nobody shows up this year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

oh I get it... but how do you grab someone's attention to start skiing mid season when they realize its going to cost them $150 to ski a mole hill in PA with man made snow for 8 hours? Then if they love it, they'll have to spend way more than a season's pass worth of money in the first season, to realize the season pass is the way to go.

my local hill prior to selling out to Peaks and then Vail had a ton of affordable options to grab peoples attention. and through all of this corporate buyup I've found there are a lot of people who only want to ski fairly cheaply at a mole hill in PA and could literally give 2 shits about skiing anywhere else in the northease let alone the Poconos. Those people are basically saying screw it I can spend my money on other things.

This low price season pass model is great for hardcores like those of us on Ski forums, but the casual skier is F'd. The probelm with that is that there is a certain percentage of those folks who do get hooked and do decide they want to travel to ski, then the low price season pass model is their thing.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Killington's learn to ski package was amazing. Last time I checked, it was something like 4 days of lessons, a pair of skis you get to keep, a pass (maybe limited to snowshed?), and discounted tickets for the next year. I think it was like $400 per person. I'm guessing they may not offer it this year though.

As for casual skiers, it's either buy a lower-priced mega pass or go to a smaller indie mountain. The Indy Pass is an amazing deal for a casual skier. $200 for two days at each of a number of different smaller mountains. You can get something like 8-10 days in New England on it.

Before my season pass days and all these mega passes, we used to say that only suckers paid full price for lift tickets. There was always a deal somewhere for people who sought it out. One of our favorites was Cannon passes you could buy at a local store at a discount, or the two for one deals mid week at Cannon and Waterville. We never visited the more expensive mountains like Killington in those days.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I hope they have the learn to ski package because my son's girlfriend wanted to learn to ski this season.
Killingtime
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Killingtime »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Oct 12th, '20, 17:36 Its expensive as sh*t to ski. At least thats what people who don't ski think. Now with $100 plus day tickets that perception is in even greater
Yep, I've heard that a lot. Opened the door for the Indy Pass though. $199 for two days at 60+ places with three being in Vermont. I always felt bad taking beginners to Killington and having them drop a crazy amount of money for a day pass to ski on Snowshed and Ramshead all day. It takes persistence and some dough to get past the learning curve, unfortunately.