What Will The 2020-2021 Ski Season Be Like at Killington ?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Re: What Will The 2020-2021 Ski Season Be Like at Killington ?

Post by Bubba »

Ski resorts see increase in season pass purchases

https://www.wcax.com/2020/10/07/ski-res ... -286700865
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Bubba wrote: Oct 7th, '20, 16:49 Ski resorts see increase in season pass purchases

https://www.wcax.com/2020/10/07/ski-res ... -286700865
Mike alluded to that earlier somewhere on these boards. I would guess pass holders having priority at some resorts that may require reservations drove more to the season passes. That plus the model continues to move towards passes making much more financial sense for the consumer. Heck you can justify a pass by getting 5 days in as compared to the day ticket rate with some of these passes.
Don't Killington Pico
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Before all of this COVID stuff my wife and I discussed saving up to be able to buy an Epic (local mnt) and an Icon so that we had options. My son is in college in FL, so he wouldn't need both to vacation out west with us.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Travel & Tourism: In a winter unlike any other, Vermont’s ski resorts face the unknown

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2020/octobe ... -286700865
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Bubba wrote: Oct 12th, '20, 11:36 Travel & Tourism: In a winter unlike any other, Vermont’s ski resorts face the unknown

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2020/octobe ... -286700865
It will be interesting to see how many people take Killington up on the option to get a full refund on passes, if the travel quarantine requirement is still in effect come mid November. That has to be a wildcard that the resorts are not happy about.
Don't Killington Pico
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

The resorts position on enforcing travel restrictions . .

Snow Reporter's Update
October 25 2020 - 06:37 pm

As the ski and snowboard season rapidly approaches, our summer and fall operations have come to a close. The Bike Park, Golf Course, Adventure Center, Scenic Gondola Rides and Peak Lodge have all closed for the season.

Our snowmaking team is on standby, waiting to strike as soon as Mother Nature gives them the go-ahead. Winter will be here before you know it, skiers and riders - think cold temps and snow!

The state of Vermont is currently restricting who can travel into the state and visit our resort as part of its COVID-19 response plan. Click the link below to visit the State of Vermont website to determine if you are eligible to travel to Vermont. Given the nature of the requirements, we are unable to verify if visitors to the resort meet the requirements but we urge you to do the right thing and not travel to Vermont and our resort if you don’t meet the requirements for the health and safety of our staff, community and fellow visitors.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

ski wrote: Oct 27th, '20, 08:12 The resorts position on enforcing travel restrictions . .

Snow Reporter's Update

As the ski and snowboard season rapidly approaches, our summer and fall operations have come to a close. The Bike Park, Golf Course, Adventure Center, Scenic Gondola Rides and Peak Lodge have all closed for the season.

Our snowmaking team is on standby, waiting to strike as soon as Mother Nature gives them the go-ahead. Winter will be here before you know it, skiers and riders - think cold temps and snow!

The state of Vermont is currently restricting who can travel into the state and visit our resort as part of its COVID-19 response plan. Click the link below to visit the State of Vermont website to determine if you are eligible to travel to Vermont. Given the nature of the requirements, we are unable to verify if visitors to the resort meet the requirements but we urge you to do the right thing and not travel to Vermont and our resort if you don’t meet the requirements for the health and safety of our staff, community and fellow visitors.
Should be fine if you quarantine at your ski house for 2 weeks.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

ski wrote: Oct 27th, '20, 08:12 The resorts position on enforcing travel restrictions . .

Snow Reporter's Update

I'm guessing that this affects at least 50% of season pass holders meaning that at least 50% come from one of these restricted counties and that may be a very low guess. Assuming that it is 50%, this means that 50% of all passholders should be requesting refunds otherwise the resorts has the potential to become a major breading ground. Assuming that 50% of all other Killington customers (non-passholders) come from one of these counties, which again is probably a low guess, Killington should be a ghost town this winter, assuming of course that things don't get any better with the virus until Spring or beyond which is entirely possible. How do you justify a season pass if (1) there is a very high probability that you shouldn't be there because you are from a restricted county and you haven't quarantined for 2 weeks, (2) there is very high probability that you may not get to ski because of the resort restricting access and (3) the likelihood of a complete early shutdown is a very real possibility? I couldn't see buying a season pass given these factors.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Jonathan S.
Green Skidder

Post by Jonathan S. »

More than 50% based on the map update today.
Just going by the straight population, 56% of people live in counties that don't meet the criteria for traveling to Killington sans quarantine.
That's 56% of the population in ... Vermont.
Otherwise, *nobody* in NH, MA, CT, RI currently qualifies.
Maine has some counties that meet the criteria, but does anyone from Maine travel to KIllington to ski? Plus those are only lightly populated counties anyway.
Ditto for the NY counties that qualify: total population of a bit over a quarter-million people, which is only 1.4% of the entire NYS population.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

KingsFourMan wrote: Oct 27th, '20, 14:07

I'm guessing that this affects at least 50% of season pass holders meaning that at least 50% come from one of these restricted counties and that may be a very low guess. Assuming that it is 50%, this means that 50% of all passholders should be requesting refunds otherwise the resorts has the potential to become a major breading ground. Assuming that 50% of all other Killington customers (non-passholders) come from one of these counties, which again is probably a low guess, Killington should be a ghost town this winter, assuming of course that things don't get any better with the virus until Spring or beyond which is entirely possible. How do you justify a season pass if (1) there is a very high probability that you shouldn't be there because you are from a restricted county and you haven't quarantined for 2 weeks, (2) there is very high probability that you may not get to ski because of the resort restricting access and (3) the likelihood of a complete early shutdown is a very real possibility? I couldn't see buying a season pass given these factors.
Looking at todays map... all of Massachusetts, all of Connecticut and all the major population centers of New York.

I would guess that has to be well over 50% of Killington's typical customer base.

How much Vermont enforces it, and how much people abide by it remain to be seen.
Don't Killington Pico
Jonathan S.
Green Skidder

Post by Jonathan S. »

boston_e wrote: Oct 27th, '20, 15:26Looking at todays map... all of Massachusetts, all of Connecticut and all the major population centers of New York.[...]
Not just all the major population centers of NY, but 98.6% of the entire statewide population for NY.
And all of RI too.
Ditto for NH.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Jonathan S. wrote: Oct 27th, '20, 15:31
boston_e wrote: Oct 27th, '20, 15:26Looking at todays map... all of Massachusetts, all of Connecticut and all the major population centers of New York.[...]
Not just all the major population centers of NY, but 98.6% of the entire statewide population for NY.
And all of RI too.
Ditto for NH.
For sure. I'd be interested to know what percentage of Killington (and also other vermont resorts) customers are from these "red and yellow" counties.
Don't Killington Pico
Jonathan S.
Green Skidder

Post by Jonathan S. »

^ Subtract out the locals % from 100 and that's the easy answer at this point for the map status.
Piste_inyoFace
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Piste_inyoFace »

As a professional DJ in NY I have been out of work since March. I live in upstate NY and am currently in a red zone for some odd reason. Our local hospital has only 3 cases. Being that I literally do not leave my house unless it’s to go hiking or ride my 4 wheeler in the woods. In addition to being tested before I go up I will do my quarantine at my home and drive up in a private car as per Vermont’s regulations. Now that being said; I still have to see if the Inn I have been using for 8 years in a row will allow me to stay. I’m abiding by the rules. I really hope there isn’t a problem
Jonathan S.
Green Skidder

Post by Jonathan S. »

^ Yipes, sorry to hear about the work situation!

Fortunately as long as you're willing to check off on the digital check box for this sentence, you're okay:
"I certify that I have reviewed the State of Vermont out-of-state traveler guidelines and travel map and comply with current health and safety requirements for traveling to, from, and within the State of Vermont."

Meanwhile, in case anyone wants yet another #, the percent of the population living in NH, MA, RI, CT, and NY that is now subject to the leisure travel restrictions = 99.14%