Travel restriction ethics & the (partial) ParkWhiz solution

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

iriponsnow
Green Skidder

Travel restriction ethics & the (partial) ParkWhiz solution

Post by iriponsnow »

Wouldn’t the simplest thing for Killington to do comply with travel restrictions/ attestation be to only permit skiers/riders in “green zones” or inside Vermont to complete parking reservations?

ParkWhiz is GPS based, so if your in a “hot spot” yellow or red immediately prior to rolling up the access road- the data is easily available to see those violating the regulations.
Big Bob
Postinator

Re: Travel restriction ethics & the (partial) ParkWhiz solution

Post by Big Bob »

They might as well stay closed since the 10 people who would be allowed to ski would not support the mountain operations. it is doubtful that due to the weather they will be able to open top to bottom on multiple lifts for the 14th.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

If you are worried about catching the China virus while skiing, then don't go f*** skiing!!!
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

It didn’t seem to slow anyone down in the summer or fall. Vermont has no fines for violating the quarantine order. An attorney probably wouldn’t sign it but most people will just lie.

I haven’t been at Killington since March. I intend to do the quarantine and test thing and move up for the winter once it’s better than white ribbon of death. I kind of have to assume 3/4 of the people on the mountain at Killington will be totally ignoring the quarantine order. Other than a bit of takeout, the Access Road businesses aren’t going to see me at all. The customers will be the same people ignoring the quarantine order.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

you can quarantine in your home state for 14 days prior to coming to VT or you can quarantine for 7 days and get a negative test result from your home state prior to coming to VT
Mistergiff
Black Carver

Post by Mistergiff »

BoozeTan wrote: Nov 5th, '20, 08:15 you can quarantine in your home state for 14 days prior to coming to VT or you can quarantine for 7 days and get a negative test result from your home state prior to coming to VT
The way I read this, yes, that's the case. No way to prove it so all honor system essentially. This also means the idea of GPS based tracking for the parking system won't work. The real frustrating thing about this approach by Montpelier is that they could have lifted this map and simply focused on making the single most important sector of outdoor recreation for their economy safe. Now this is only encouraging the kind of folks you probably don't want to come, to simply lie and show up.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

If do the 7 day option, and then go to Vermont, when you get back home, that's another 7 days in "quarantine" but my guess is you will see the same people up there every weekend.
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

The online reservations already broke. I looked at a random Monday in early December just to see what the interface will be and if it tracks the number of spots available. Reloaded the page and now all dates are marked unavailable. At 10:02am.

And before people say "well it must be full" that's likely to be impossible. If they sell something stupidly miniscule like 200 spots per day and they only sold November 21ish-December21ish that's 6,000 people buying parking in the first 90 seconds.
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I got 4 days before it locked up.
ImageImageImageImage
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

lol now only February is available.

I keep re-loading the page to see what pops up. First it was a random week in December and a random week in February.
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

Also I got in at 10:00:01 (about) and the whole season wasn't available as promised. This thing was broken from the literal first second it went live.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Keep refreshing, new dates keep popping up. I got 7 days in...
ImageImageImageImage
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

Oh for f*** f*** sake......
PARKING RESERVATIONS
We are experiencing technical difficulties. Reservations will be available soon. Thank you for your patience.
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

:zzz
Last edited by E O Eleven on Jan 13th, '22, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
spiderpig
Beginner On Rentals

Post by spiderpig »

Have they not unlocked the first two weekends and the week in between or are they already full? I find the latter hard to believe for all the weekdays.