Masks Outdoors

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Masks Outdoors

Post by asher2789 »

throbster wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 10:33
easyrider16 wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 10:00
throbster wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 19:49 Nah. Follow the science and follow common sense.
Yes, you should follow the science.
Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University's School of Public Health - "Once you get outside, it starts becoming really, really uncommon for the virus to spread," he tells NPR's All Things Considered. Some exceptions could involve people at packed rallies, standing or sitting close together for long periods of time. But beyond those scenarios, "there really just is not much spread happening outdoors."
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... ry-outside

So like Ty said, if you're in a crowd, wear the mask. I mean if you care about the science.
Riddle me this, if you are vaccinated (immune), why should you care about being in a crowd? The only explanation is they are concerned about the well being of the unvaccinated in the crowd.
To which I say, f*** them if that's their choice. You know, "my body, my choice"
because the science is unsettled regarding if vaccinated people are able to still spread the virus or not, even if they themselves are immune from it.

"my body my choice" do you say this when you're required to wear a seatbelt or helmet on a motorcycle? what about clothing in establishments? toddler temper tantrum much... extremely offensive to compare YOUR TEMPORARY INCONVENIENCE to a woman being forced to carry an unwanted child to term and have their body permanently changed (and that's ignoring the states run by the american taliban who seek to ban abortions even in cases of rape or incest). notice how it's usually men who say dumb sh*t like this... because you'll never get pregnant. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

spanky wrote: Apr 29th, '21, 10:33
RustyK wrote:Please move this to the political forum.... :roll:
Will watch this. As of now, I don’t think it’s political. What do others think?

As for outdoor masks, let me see if I understand those that think we should be wearing masks outside… it is not OK to be maskless outside when not in close proximity to others (let’s define close proximity as within 6 feet for more than 5 minutes) BUT it is OK to be maskless INSIDE a restaurant for an hour or more with other maskless people in the same “room”? We all know everyone breathes the same air inside. If we didn’t, it would still be OK to smoke indoors.
this has always been idiotic to me. as was keeping the bars/restaurants open but closing the schools. ridiculous. but schools don't create tax revenue...
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

asher2789 wrote: Apr 29th, '21, 18:20
throbster wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 19:49 Nah. Follow the science and follow common sense.
Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University's School of Public Health - "Once you get outside, it starts becoming really, really uncommon for the virus to spread," he tells NPR's All Things Considered. Some exceptions could involve people at packed rallies, standing or sitting close together for long periods of time. But beyond those scenarios, "there really just is not much spread happening outdoors."

So like Ty said, if you're in a crowd, wear the mask. I mean if you care about the science.
Riddle me this, if you are vaccinated (immune), why should you care about being in a crowd? The only explanation is they are concerned about the well being of the unvaccinated in the crowd.
To which I say, f*** them if that's their choice. You know, "my body, my choice"
because the science is unsettled regarding if vaccinated people are able to still spread the virus or not, even if they themselves are immune from it.

"my body my choice" do you say this when you're required to wear a seatbelt or helmet on a motorcycle? what about clothing in establishments? toddler temper tantrum much... extremely offensive to compare YOUR TEMPORARY INCONVENIENCE to a woman being forced to carry an unwanted child to term and have their body permanently changed (and that's ignoring the states run by the american taliban who seek to ban abortions even in cases of rape or incest). notice how it's usually men who say dumb sh*t like this... because you'll never get pregnant. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Now it's gone political!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

spanky wrote:
gardi wrote: Apr 29th, '21, 12:45
hillbangin wrote: Apr 29th, '21, 11:44 The science says there's no Covid inside a restaurant. That's why you wear your mask going in but you take it off while you are eating. Everything is fine because the restaurant staff is wearing masks.

My favorite one is airplanes. Unlike resturants there is Covid inside the plane that has better ventilation than any restaurant you have ever eaten in. And it's generally cleaner.

Lastly. There is no Covid while you are sitting down at the Umbrella Bar eating and drinking. Butt, you have to wear your mask while you are standing in line waiting to sit outside to eat and drink without your mask on.

None of this is political. It's insane.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I don't disagree that it doesn't make sense, but it's unfair to imply that it's the result of a scientific conspiracy. What scientific study suggested that there's no covid inside a restaurant? As far as I know the CDC always stated that it's a risky behavior (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/ ... mm6936a5_x).

The restaurant exception has nothing to do with the science and everything to do with the economy. And yes, airlines claim that their planes are so well ventilated that the probability of transmission is really low. And they funded studies that reached somewhat surprising (at least to me) conclusions supporting that. I can't refute them without data, but I think a healthy dose of skepticism is reasonable given past experience (with the tobacco industry for instance). That's why reputable scientific journals require a disclosure of conflicts of interest. Unfortunately, since we gave up on contact tracing they have benefited from the almost impossibility of tracing the source of an infection (and thus of figuring out how many come from airplanes).

I don't know why it's so strange to you that the rules are just an attempt to compromise. Of course eating indoors is more (or equally) risky than standing in line. But while you can stand in line with a mask, you can't eat while wearing one. Just because you accept a bit of extra risk (at the population level) to try to keep some restaurants from closing doesn't mean that you have to give up entirely on trying to contain the spread.
I’m pretty sure there was just a bit of sarcasm in hillbangin’s response.
Yup.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

daytripper wrote: Apr 29th, '21, 18:45
asher2789 wrote: Apr 29th, '21, 18:20

Now it's gone political!
oh but it wasn't when noted trumper went to the asinine and incredibly offensive to all women "my body my choice" non-debate?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Well he was talking about mask wearing, which is what the thread is about, not abortion.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

daytripper wrote: Apr 30th, '21, 14:11 Well he was talking about mask wearing, which is what the thread is about, not abortion.
oh please. he's comparing wearing a mask to abortion rights. highly offensive and ridiculous. his minor inconvenience is NOTHING like a woman being forced to carry an unwanted baby to term.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Done with mask wearing outdoors just like Uncle Joe said. Currently with 60% of Vermonters having at least one shot this circus is over in my mind. We have no problem getting together indoors with our vaccinated friends. Only place we should never go sharing common space with strangers is the gondolas.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

The best part of this thread is reading how a confirmed hard-liner Trumper actually got the vaccine !! There is hope.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Sooooo - Mandatory Mask or No Mask for Spring Skiing at Killington??
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

ski wrote: May 1st, '21, 06:55 The best part of this thread is reading how a confirmed hard-liner Trumper actually got the vaccine !! There is hope.
My man is responsible for the vaccine so why would I not take it?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

throbster wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 11:08
easyrider16 wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 10:34 So now instead of following the science, we should say "f*** them" because what, you don't like what the science says?

I am immunized and therefore cannot get covid in a crowd. Science! Those people who are not immunized CAN get covid in a crowd. Science! Pretty simple. The guidance should be, if you are not immunized, stay away from crowds. Otherwise, do what you want. Telling people that even though you are immunized that you should avoid crowds is counter-science and sends mixed messages to the naive.
You can still get Covid if you are vaccinated but the effect of it will not be as bad. I am vaccinated and will still wear a mask when going shopping or being with a lot of people.
rower
Black Carver

Post by rower »

My boyfriend’s mother was fully vaccinated when she caught covid from a visitor to her home. She is now in ICU and doctors are not optimistic about her recovery. She has many co-morbidities and probably did not develop a robust immunity response from the vaccine. Vaccinated people still get sick and some die.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

throbster wrote: May 1st, '21, 09:59
ski wrote: May 1st, '21, 06:55 The best part of this thread is reading how a confirmed hard-liner Trumper actually got the vaccine !! There is hope.
My man is responsible for the vaccine so why would I not take it?
Trump is not 100% responsible for the development of the vaccines, but he does deserve his fair share of credit for operation warp speed. It could have been a great victory lap for him. With that said, why is he not taking it and why are trump supporters among the most hesitant groups to get vaccinated? It makes no sense.
Don't Killington Pico