Real estate taxes are way up

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Big Bob
Postinator

Re: Real estate taxes are way up

Post by Big Bob »

LINYbob wrote: Jul 21st, '21, 11:35 True about the school, but this year it is the municipal part that had a huge increase. I don't know why they can't smooth it out a bit. Some years it goes up over 10%, others around 1%.
Butt never goes down...
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Killington Tax Rates:

The 2021 Residential Tax Rate is $2.3488 ($1.8106 Education + $0.5382 Municipal).
The 2021 Non-residential Tax Rate is $2.3446 ($1.8064 Education + $0.5382 Municipal)

2020 Residential Rate was $0.4717
2020 Homestead Education was $1.6998

I don't have the non-residential rate for last year.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

:zzz
Last edited by E O Eleven on Jan 11th, '22, 09:25, edited 2 times in total.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

hillbangin wrote:
It's a very good time to sell.......
Yep. I just tossed the tax bill in the mail for the new owner. It went up significantly from last year. Even worse, it’s assessed at half of what I sold it for. Vermont is a 100% market value assessment state. When the town does their mandatory reassessment, the new owner’s taxes are going to almost double. I see the CLA is 89% so even at 100%, the state school tax is going to be big bucks when the town does their mandatory reappraisal and drops the state school tax back to 1.51%.

On the flip side, the condo we bought at Beaver Creek has a tax rate lower than Killington was in 1993 when I bought.

Oh, and I have the joy of paying Vermont state income tax on the inflation “gain” on the condo I just sold. Inflation-adjusted, I didn’t do much better than break even after improvements. I got my money’s worth out of 28 years of use but knowing what I know now, I don’t think I’d buy in Vermont.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Geoff wrote: Jul 23rd, '21, 09:02
hillbangin wrote:
Yep. I just tossed the tax bill in the mail for the new owner. It went up significantly from last year. Even worse, it’s assessed at half of what I sold it for. Vermont is a 100% market value assessment state. When the town does their mandatory reassessment, the new owner’s taxes are going to almost double. I see the CLA is 89% so even at 100%, the state school tax is going to be big bucks when the town does their mandatory reappraisal and drops the state school tax back to 1.51%.

On the flip side, the condo we bought at Beaver Creek has a tax rate lower than Killington was in 1993 when I bought.

Oh, and I have the joy of paying Vermont state income tax on the inflation “gain” on the condo I just sold. Inflation-adjusted, I didn’t do much better than break even after improvements. I got my money’s worth out of 28 years of use but knowing what I know now, I don’t think I’d buy in Vermont.
Exactly the reason why we will likely sell our house and 21 acre property in Plymouth, VT when we retire in about 8 years. Instead, we’ll spend our retirement income somewhere else helping to provide jobs in some other state that doesn’t have insane job killing taxes like VT.

Enjoy your new low taxes in East California for now, all those people that have been fleeing CA and other high tax, high cost of living states for Colorado for the past 30 years will be voting in higher taxes there soon enough.

I didn’t spend 40 years of my life working my balls off and saving for retirement to give it to the State of VT or any other liberal state government.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

KingsFourMan wrote: Jul 23rd, '21, 12:44
hillbangin wrote:

Exactly the reason why we will likely sell our house and 21 acre property in Plymouth, VT when we retire in about 8 years. Instead, we’ll spend our retirement income somewhere else helping to provide jobs in some other state that doesn’t have insane job killing taxes like VT.

Enjoy your new low taxes in East California for now, all those people that have been fleeing CA and other high tax, high cost of living states for Colorado for the past 30 years will be voting in higher taxes there soon enough.

I didn’t spend 40 years of my life working my balls off and saving for retirement to give it to the State of VT or any other liberal state government.
The property taxes are set by Eagle County. It’s unlikely Colorado would ever put in a state school property tax like Vermont so it’s unlikely taxes will go up significantly. This isn’t our primary residence so we don’t care about Colorado income taxes. The vast majority of the housing stock in Vail/Eagle River valley is second homes. I don’t know where you get the narrative that it’s people fleeing high tax places. It’s mostly people earning big bucks in top-10 metros buying vacation homes. Dallas/Houston and Chicago are more common than California.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Our condo taxes went up about $100 from last year.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

hillbangin wrote:

Where did you buy a condo at BC?
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Geoff wrote: Jul 23rd, '21, 13:33
KingsFourMan wrote: Jul 23rd, '21, 12:44
hillbangin wrote:

The property taxes are set by Eagle County. It’s unlikely Colorado would ever put in a state school property tax like Vermont so it’s unlikely taxes will go up significantly. This isn’t our primary residence so we don’t care about Colorado income taxes. The vast majority of the housing stock in Vail/Eagle River valley is second homes. I don’t know where you get the narrative that it’s people fleeing high tax places. It’s mostly people earning big bucks in top-10 metros buying vacation homes. Dallas/Houston and Chicago are more common than California.
The vast majority of transplants to CO end up on the front range - from Ft Collins to the north to Colorado Springs to the south with Denver in between. That area has been exploding for the past 30 plus years with a huge amount of people coming from CA, hence the well known and well deserved nickname East California. I went to college there in the 80s, have lots of college friends there, have a daughter there that graduated from my alma mater there, and have been an almost yearly visitor there for the last 35 years since graduating from college. The front range is almost unrecognizable from what it was 30-35 years ago. It's completely overrun. The weekend commute up I-70 during ski season makes the Garden State Parkway to the shore in summer look like a country drive. For the first time, you are now starting to hear about people wanting to leave CO in large part due to crowding, traffic, and the escalating cost of living, most notably real estate prices which haven't been a bargain there in years.

That being said, I love Beaver Creek, I actually prefer it over Vail. I asked my wife to marry me there at Beano's Cabin Restaurant following a snow cat sleigh ride up the mountain on her birthday 29 years ago. We've been regular visitors to Beaver Creek ever since. If I was going to live in CO or own a 2nd home there, Beaver Creek would be high on our list. And if our oldest daughter stays in CO like she says she is, it may very well happen.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Vermont is never listed as a retirement friendly state. Right now I think I will stay in NH, but move north to a lower property tax town closer to skiing and other recreationally activities. My current town is one of the highest property tax rate towns due to the local school portion of the tax bill so I will not be staying here!
Has anybody else given thought as to where they will end up after they retire. No Florida for me at this moment!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Big Bob wrote: Jul 24th, '21, 05:21 Has anybody else given thought as to where they will end up after they retire. No Florida for me at this moment!
West Portugal, Massholia. The boat slip is 0.7 miles. The beach is 1.0 miles. The mill rate is a bit below $10 per thousand. No tax on Social Security income. We have Avon CO to use in the winter and don’t need a car since the lift is walkable as is the grocery store & restaurants. The Epic Pass was less than $800.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Hey Geoff, congrats - looks like you’ve made some amazing changes🤗
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

We should all be happy for paying our fair share...🙄
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Bubba wrote: Jul 25th, '21, 20:21 Not just Killington…

https://vtdigger.org/2021/07/25/burling ... appraisal/
When a Commie uses the word fair - hide the women and children -

Vickery said he thought the reappraisal process was “as fair as it gets.” He said the assessor’s office has been double-checking Tyler Technology’s work and the state also audits a reappraisal after its completion, to ensure that it was conducted fairly.

“I’m confident that, overall,” Vickery said, “we meet measures of fairness and equity.”