Freedom to Vote Act

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Freedom to Vote Act

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Below are key elements of the Freedom to Vote Act. Why shouldn't we do all these things? Even has voter ID!

boston_e
Postaholic

Re: Freedom to Vote Act

Post by boston_e »

Because Republicans want to pass voter suppression laws to try to maintain power.
Don't Killington Pico
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jan 13th, '22, 11:35 Below are key elements of the Freedom to Vote Act. Why shouldn't we do all these things? Even has voter ID!

I'm not sure of the source of this list, but the devil is in the details. If it was a good bill, it would have bipartisan support.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

throbster wrote: Jan 13th, '22, 13:55
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jan 13th, '22, 11:35 Below are key elements of the Freedom to Vote Act. Why shouldn't we do all these things? Even has voter ID!
I'm not sure of the source of this list, but the devil is in the details. If it was a good bill, it would have bipartisan support.
:? You mean like the impeachment of Trump by the House, which had bipartisan support (222 Democrats, 12 Republicans)?

While I agree the devil is in the details, do you see something you're vehemently against on the list?
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I agree that these all sound like wonderful goals, but the debate should be about how they are achieved. I do not think a good bill would necessarily have bipartisan support because the partisanship today means anything the party in power suggests, no matter how good, will be fought by the party out of power just because the other side proposed it.

In this case, I don't think either party really wants to support an end to gerrymandering or any real restrictions on campaign finance. Democrats in particular probably won't like voter ID and Republicans won't like all the early voting and making election day a holiday because that hurts them at the polls. So I see this bill going nowhere unless it gets really watered down. It's a sad state but that's where we are today.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Stick a fork in it. Another colossal Dem party failure.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

• Making Election Day a Holiday
Great Idea, all for it!
  • Ends Gerrymandering
How would this happen in a way that would satisfy both sides of the political spectrum?
  • Combats anti-voting laws working their way through the state legislatures
How are they anti-voting laws? The new voting regulations in Georgia are far more open and accommodating than those in my "blue" home state. Doesn't the Constitution grant the States the right to do exactly what these States have done, determine their election procedures?
  • Requires states to allow 15 days of early voting
If we are going to make Election Day a national holiday why is this needed?
  • Massively expands voting access through automatic voter registration and election day registration
That's a recipe for extreme levels of fraud. Voting is a right but one that needs to be given a much higher level of respect. There were many steps, monetary expenses and a lengthy period of time that I needed to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. Just saying that people should have to "exercise" a bit more to exercise their right to vote.
  • Increases election security through by creating a national standard for voter verified paper ballots
How does that increase security? Another excuse for the mail in ballot debacle.
  • Shines a light on dark money
Like the $$ billions the Biden family has taken from foreign countries?
  • Makes it harder for billionaires and special interest to buy elections
How will this impact George Soros?