How many calories do you eat in a day?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

pizzamoose wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:When I was following my 40/30/30 plan, I was consuming 1400 - 1600 calories per day. I track everything I eat on www.fitday.com and also keep a log of what I eat.
Nifty site..
I just spent about an hour on it..
I actually went and researched the particular brand names of the foods I ate (lunch meats, etc.)
What a reality check!
Today I ate 39/24/36 (C/P/F) and 75% of my fat calories are saturated!!!
41 Grams of fiber today.

Total calories were 2288 - now according to this site, today I burned 4920 calories with basal and lifestyle activities - that doesn't include exercise (I didn't exercise today (I run in r*in, but not in thunderstorms. Alex is not home, so the only time I had to run was between 4:30 and 5:30 - plan was to get off work, run, then pick up the baby. Guess what was going on between 4:30 and 5:15 today?)

I have a hard time believing that I created a 2500 calorie deficit today, when I know that my BMR is between 2275 and 2469 calories. So I really can't trust this site for estimating the caloric deficit. I use and trust this calculator here: http://www.hussman.org/fitness/bmrcalc.htm. (I entered male, 335lbs, 41%Bodyfat, 29 years, 6'6".) If you have a calculator, let me know and I'll try that.

My other complaint about this site is with the running, it doesn't correct for my size. It only reported about 280 calories for 12/minute miles for 3 miles - according to my running book, I would have burned 450 calories at just 250 lbs, the top weight on the chart. (and I'm 335lbs..)

So the site appears to be useful for tracking calories.. but I don't know if I'd trust it for anything else.
That is one of the 2 complaints I have about fitday..... The calorie "expenditure" part -- it's waaaaay off!! I use a Polar HR monitor to track my calorie expenditure & chose "seated work" on fitday to get something closer to what I think is my BMR.

But, yes, it's very good for tracking calories. I've added every package of food I've bought as a custom food & track every single thing I eat, every single day.......

When I first started using it, I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight -- well, input what you eat for a day & talk about an eye opener!!

Were the C/P/F ratios you listed Percentages or the grams?? Cuz 24g of protein is wayyyyyy to low for you.... Saturated fat is recommended to be no more than 10% of cals.
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

jenscats5 wrote:That is one of the 2 complaints I have about fitday..... The calorie "expenditure" part -- it's waaaaay off!! I use a Polar HR monitor to track my calorie expenditure & chose "seated work" on fitday to get something closer to what I think is my BMR.
Well, their BMR estimate is in the ballpark of what my BMR calculator comes up with - but the lifestyle calorie thing is what throws it off so much. It's a shame, too, because it would be useful to know how many calories you're burning given the lifestyle/workstyle you lead.
jenscats5 wrote:Were the C/P/F ratios you listed Percentages or the grams?? Cuz 24g of protein is wayyyyyy to low for you....
Percentages. I had 133 grams of protein, which would be low for me if I was weight training. I might add egg whites to replace some of the fattier foods I eat, but I haven't decided yet.
jenscats5 wrote:Saturated fat is recommended to be no more than 10% of cals.
Yeah, and I got 14% today. Gotta lower that. It's helpful to realize, however, the most Americans probably clear 20-30% in S.Fat. WHen I think back to my old lifestyle, I cringe... I used to love the fried mozzeralla sticks at McDonalds. I would get 3-5 packs of them at $1 each! In fact, just writing about them is making me crave them, a year later! Old habits die hard..

By the way, I can't remember the exact date, but I know it was in May or June of '04: I've not eaten at McD's, BK, Wendy's, Taco Hell, White Castle, etc., in over a year now. I try to make healthier choices in fast food, so I will eat at Boston Market, Baja Fresh, or Quiznos maybe once or twice a month. The point is to take the impulse out of the fast food (ooh, there's a McDonalds - some Mozzeralla sticks would be good right now!) and actually make it part of the meal plan.

California is a haven for good fast food. So when I'm there, I'll eat at In-And-Out burger, Farmer Brothers, and El Pollo Loco (healthy options) and Del Taco (not so healthy.) And, of course, the DMF. My attitude is "screw it, I'm on vacation," so I do it on an impulse when I'm there. But that's only a week or two a year.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

pizzamoose wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:When I was following my 40/30/30 plan, I was consuming 1400 - 1600 calories per day. I track everything I eat on www.fitday.com and also keep a log of what I eat.
Nifty site..
I actually went and researched the particular brand names of the foods I ate (lunch meats, etc.)
What a reality check!
41 Grams of fiber today.

Total calories were 2288 - now according to this site, today I burned 4920 calories with basal and lifestyle activities - that doesn't include exercise (I didn't exercise today (I run in r*in, but not in thunderstorms. Alex is not home, so the only time I had to run was between 4:30 and 5:30 - plan was to get off work, run, then pick up the baby. Guess what was going on between 4:30 and 5:15 today?)

I have a hard time believing that I created a 2500 calorie deficit today, when I know that my BMR is between 2275 and 2469 calories. So I really can't trust this site for estimating the caloric deficit. I use and trust this calculator here: http://www.hussman.org/fitness/bmrcalc.htm. (I entered male, 335lbs, 41%Bodyfat, 29 years, 6'6".) If you have a calculator, let me know and I'll try that.

My other complaint about this site is with the running, it doesn't correct for my size. It only reported about 280 calories for 12/minute miles for 3 miles - according to my running book, I would have burned 450 calories at just 250 lbs, the top weight on the chart. (and I'm 335lbs..)

So the site appears to be useful for tracking calories.. but I don't know if I'd trust it for anything else.

The only thing I trust is the mirror....the mirror never lies...

that's why I have a mirror in every room in my house...and and stainless steel Viking fridge in the kitchen...so I can catch a glimpse of the heaven that is my body while walking between the family room and dining room.

King Hal
shortski
:dis
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Wow, I wish I had a viking fridge. You must be rich!

Sprite
I like wine.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:
Nifty site..
What a reality check!
41 Grams of fiber today.

The only thing I trust is the mirror....the mirror never lies...

that's why I have a mirror in every room in my house...and and stainless steel Viking fridge in the kitchen...so I can catch a glimpse of the heaven that is my body while walking between the family room and dining room.

King Hal
Mrs. Hal needs to weigh in on this one!
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

snowsprite wrote:Wow, I wish I had a viking fridge. You must be rich!

Sprite
lol..

I have a Magic Chef that is 15 years old.

You must be gullible! :wink:
shortski
:dis