Green Skidder

Re: Any pictures of KBL Tear Down?

Post by ifixu »

It will be over a week before demolition, they will salvage things 1st
my poor knees
Green Skidder

Post by my poor knees »

If I had to guess, I would think it was built in the 60's sometime. Seems to me it was built as a 1 floor lodge. Then when they needed the space they added a a floor in to divide the area into 2 floors. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, looking at the way that floor was added as an afterthought and why the ceiling is so low in that area. Is the Powdr company paying for that new lodge or are they getting financial help from the state? Seems to me, the Bear lodge can use a little love/renovation too.
Last edited by my poor knees on Mar 24th, '22, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

VAIL?....ummm...you might wanna do a little homework here...
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

my poor knees wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 15:09 If I had to guess, I would think it was built in the 60's sometime. Seems to me it was built as a 1 floor lodge. Then when they needed the space they added a a floor in to divide the area into 2 floors. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, looking at the way that floor was added as an afterthought and why the ceiling is so low in that area. Is the Vail company paying for that new lodge or are they getting financial help from the state? Seems to me, the Bear lodge can use a little love/renovation too.
Why would Vail pay for a lodge at a Powdr resort?
my poor knees
Green Skidder

Post by my poor knees »

daytripper wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 15:17
my poor knees wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 15:09 If I had to guess, I would think it was built in the 60's sometime. Seems to me it was built as a 1 floor lodge. Then when they needed the space they added a a floor in to divide the area into 2 floors. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, looking at the way that floor was added as an afterthought and why the ceiling is so low in that area. Is the Vail company paying for that new lodge or are they getting financial help from the state? Seems to me, the Bear lodge can use a little love/renovation too.
Oops, thanks, meant to say Powdr, edited.....
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

:zzz
Last edited by E O Eleven on Nov 17th, '22, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

my poor knees wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 15:46
daytripper wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 15:17
Oops, thanks, meant to say Powdr, edited.....
Seems to me that you're not paying attention.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

E O Eleven wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 18:02
my poor knees wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 15:09 If I had to guess, I would think it was built in the 60's sometime. Seems to me it was built as a 1 floor lodge. Then when they needed the space they added a a floor in to divide the area into 2 floors. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, looking at the way that floor was added as an afterthought and why the ceiling is so low in that area. Is the Powdr company paying for that new lodge or are they getting financial help from the state? Seems to me, the Bear lodge can use a little love/renovation too.
your powers of conjecture are impressive.

karen lorentz wrote a book 'killington, a story or mountains and men.'

i'd be happy to sell you one of my first edition copies.
Amazon has one at $175, ebay $165.. damn, i'd like to read that - but not that much! MM recommended the Bill Morrison books, interesting enough details therein, wasnt expecting much. Still, enjoyed.
Seeing the fb vid with the closing ceremonies did get to me..plenty of time spent in that building. RIP KBL!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

twilkas wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 21:22
E O Eleven wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 18:02
my poor knees wrote: Mar 24th, '22, 15:09 If I had to guess, I would think it was built in the 60's sometime. Seems to me it was built as a 1 floor lodge. Then when they needed the space they added a a floor in to divide the area into 2 floors. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, looking at the way that floor was added as an afterthought and why the ceiling is so low in that area. Is the Powdr company paying for that new lodge or are they getting financial help from the state? Seems to me, the Bear lodge can use a little love/renovation too.
your powers of conjecture are impressive.

karen lorentz wrote a book 'killington, a story or mountains and men.'

i'd be happy to sell you one of my first edition copies.
Amazon has one at $175, ebay $165.. damn, i'd like to read that - but not that much! MM recommended the Bill Morrison books, interesting enough details therein, wasnt expecting much. Still, enjoyed.
Seeing the fb vid with the closing ceremonies did get to me..plenty of time spent in that building. RIP KBL!
I have a copy of the second edition of this one authographed by Karen Lorenz.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Bear is getting replaced as well. That building was deemed non-economical to renovate.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

So by the end of this, they'll have ended up replacing all the lodges except Skyeship. Peak was already done, K1 is in-progress, and there are plans to replace Snowshed, Ramshead, and Bear.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

newpylong1 wrote: Mar 25th, '22, 05:11
Bear is getting replaced as well. That building was deemed non-economical to renovate.
I would assume at the pace of construction in VT there would be a period of time during the ski season that there would not be a lodge available at Bear.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote: Mar 25th, '22, 07:03 So by the end of this, they'll have ended up replacing all the lodges except Skyeship. Peak was already done, K1 is in-progress, and there are plans to replace Snowshed, Ramshead, and Bear.
Correct, and Skyeship is the newest base lodge as it is by a big margin.

I was told the plan for RH/Snowshed is for those bases to actually be connected at grade, with the road being sent under the connector, so the opposite of how it is now. Makes sense to me, shlepping the kids through that tunnel is a PITA. I do imagine combining both of those lodges with their usage is going to be one hell of a big building.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Nothing happening today, but there are 2 excavators at the base. I wonder if demolition starts tomorrow. I'd think it's possible given the access road closures the next 2 weeks.