Racist?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Racist?

Post by deadheadskier »

Some call it a "hunch", others spell that "profiling."

The bar for searching a vehicle should be the same as entering a private residence.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

deadheadskier wrote: May 12th, '22, 12:26 Some call it a "hunch", others spell that "profiling."
Sometimes you're right. I don't mean to suggest that illegal searches are okay. I'm just saying I think most police are trying to do the right thing most of the time. We don't want to put them in a situation where they have to choose between protecting the public or not doing so because they might face criminal penalty.
deadheadskier wrote: May 12th, '22, 12:26 The bar for searching a vehicle should be the same as entering a private residence.
It's not legally, though. You have less expectation of privacy in your car when you're operating on public ways.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

easyrider16 wrote: May 12th, '22, 12:47
deadheadskier wrote: May 12th, '22, 12:26 Some call it a "hunch", others spell that "profiling."
Sometimes you're right. I don't mean to suggest that illegal searches are okay. I'm just saying I think most police are trying to do the right thing most of the time. We don't want to put them in a situation where they have to choose between protecting the public or not doing so because they might face criminal penalty.
Eh - racially motivated or not its pretty hard to say that in this case anyone could think that what happened was the "right thing".
Don't Killington Pico
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Oh I agree. But this is one case. There are how many cops in the United States? The overwhelming majority I think are trying to do the right thing.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I don't know about an overwhelming majority. I'd say about half the cops out there are trying to do the right thing.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

easyrider16 wrote: May 12th, '22, 14:46 Oh I agree. But this is one case. There are how many cops in the United States? The overwhelming majority I think are trying to do the right thing.
Right. And in this one case, those power abusers should be terminated.

While I agree that most cops are good people, you've heard from three people in this thread that have been searched without cause. That's not a "hunch" that prompted those searches. It was profiling. "Maybe these young kids have weed on them" or whatever and I can look good to the chief for making a bust. I think it's a numbers game with many of them. Search enough people and you're bound to find something.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

deadheadskier wrote: May 12th, '22, 12:26 The bar for searching a vehicle should be the same as entering a private residence.
This is worked around by calling driving a "privilege". Its the modern day horse to get us from "A" to "B". I do think the courts took the "easy route" when this was declared, just like the automatic license suspension for not taking a breath test. That should be covered under the 5th amendment. The cop should have to wake up a judge, get a warrant, and have your blood drawn.