maybe OT but relevant - Queen Elizabeth's funeral coverage

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

maybe OT but relevant - Queen Elizabeth's funeral coverage

Post by G-smashed »

Speaking as the grandson of a British anti royalist I ask why all the wall to wall press coverage of this event? the monarchy is a quaint British anachronism that many Brits hold onto because of nostalgia. Maybe the queen was a historic figure but I don't understand why anyone would wait in a line 100X longer than the worst Killington double line ever to see her coffin for a few seconds, never mind watching it on TV 24x7 for a whole week.
Let's get back to 24x7 Trump bashing like before!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: maybe OT but relevant - Queen Elizabeth's funeral coverage

Post by easyrider16 »

G-smashed wrote: Sep 19th, '22, 11:48 Speaking as the grandson of a British anti royalist I ask why all the wall to wall press coverage of this event?
Because it gets ratings.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Because she’s an historic figure, the monarch of our closest ally, and a symbol of stability in an unstable world. If it was only for ratings, CBS would’ve had it on until the end like NBC did this morning.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I don't really understand the obsession with the royal family. What have they ever done for me? They don't really have any real power, and I am not British. They are nothing but celebrities and like celebs I could care less about them.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

one of the weird things i noticed about the queens passing is the amount of people on the far right in this country who are in favor of a monarchy... granted its not a huge amount but its a surprising amount considering the whole concept of america was revolting against this very monarchy and establishing independence... mind you these are the same people who would say dumb sh*t like "we're a republic not a democracy!" in response to democratic (not the party, the concept) movements such as advocating for the repeal of the electoral college.

apparently words no longer have meaning. (republic = not a monarchy)
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

daytripper wrote: Sep 19th, '22, 19:11 I don't really understand the obsession with the royal family. What have they ever done for me? They don't really have any real power, and I am not British. They are nothing but celebrities and like celebs I could care less about them.
I don't understand the obsession with the Kardashians either but lots of people love that sh*t.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Humans have had a fascination with power and false idols since the fall in the Garden of Eden. Adam eats the apple because he wants to be like God.

Today is no different. One can look at some folks fascination with political / celebrity figures ... and how it can cross over to an unhealthy obsession that results in disregarding their own family, religion/church and friends that don't share the same fealty.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Well, being that the garden of Eden, and Adam and eve are fictional I can't really get behind that explanation.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

daytripper wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 07:17 Well, being that the garden of Eden, and Adam and eve are fictional I can't really get behind that explanation.
You asked me to stop attempting to get you to believe in God. I’ve respected your request. However, I think the respect should go both ways.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 07:48
daytripper wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 07:17 Well, being that the garden of Eden, and Adam and eve are fictional I can't really get behind that explanation.
You asked me to stop attempting to get you to believe in God. I’ve respected your request. However, I think the respect should go both ways.
Well your saying that what's happening today is the same as the garden of Eden is your opinion. I gave my opinion on the subject. I did not ask you to change yours.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

regardless of your personal beliefs regarding the existence of god, or more specifically, the abrahamic version, its helpful to approach religious stories of all religions as fables. makes it much easier to understand, and reason with people who have faith that they are more than fables.

(for what its worth, im with you in seeing them as fiction)
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

It doesn't bother me in the least when people talk about God and religion. What bothers me is when they have a problem with me talking about not believing in god. Why is it ok for them to talk about how they believe in God but when I talk about how I do not believe them I am disrespectful? I would never tell anyone that believes in god they shouldn't and don't like people telling me I should. But if someone is to bring into the conversation their beliefs than why can't I bring in mine?