Nasty doc

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

LINYbob
Bumper

Nasty doc

Post by LINYbob »

My wife went out with a friend this morning and went to a doctor to look at her ACL tear. Apparently she had not made an appointment and just went in and waited.

Well, the doctor came out and went ballistic on my wife. The dr. said that my wife should never have done that and don't ever do it again. She (the MD) said that an ACL tear is not life threatening and my wife had some nerve just showing up and expecting to be seen. She made my wife wait a finally gave her a cursory exam. She told me wife to forget surgery that she is too old and she (the MD) wouldn't ever consider operating on my wife (early 40s)!

My wife was in tears and told the dr. she was only doing what the ER told her to do and was still in pain and please treat her.

Basically she was told to go home, take aspirins, good luck, deal with it. No X-ray, no MRI, nothing.

We're looking for another doctor.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Re: Nasty doc

Post by BigKahuna13 »

LINYbob wrote:My wife went out with a friend this morning and went to a doctor to look at her ACL tear. Apparently she had not made an appointment and just went in and waited.

Well, the doctor came out and went ballistic on my wife. The dr. said that my wife should never have done that and don't ever do it again. She (the MD) said that an ACL tear is not life threatening and my wife had some nerve just showing up and expecting to be seen. She made my wife wait a finally gave her a cursory exam. She told me wife to forget surgery that she is too old and she (the MD) wouldn't ever consider operating on my wife (early 40s)!

My wife was in tears and told the dr. she was only doing what the ER told her to do and was still in pain and please treat her.

Basically she was told to go home, take aspirins, good luck, deal with it. No X-ray, no MRI, nothing.

The fact that it is kinda odd to just show up at a doctors office without at least calling ahead aside, I'd have walked out and started looking for a new doc began acting disrespectfully.

40's isn't too old for that type of surgery either. Guy at work just had his rotator cuff fixed and he's 50. Wasn't bothering him in normal life but did affect his ability to play hockey.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Hey Jude
Black Carver

Post by Hey Jude »

First, so sorry about your wife and her incident with the pogo stick. I give her credit for even thinking about climbing on that thing!

Second, I agree that it was a bit odd that your wife just showed up at the doctor's office without calling or making an appointment but that in no way excuses the doctor's behavior. I agree that a new doctor is in order, obviously the one you've been going to has some serious problems with her bedside manner.
Girly, tough is not enough!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

LINYbob wrote:My wife went out with a friend this morning and went to a doctor to look at her ACL tear. Apparently she had not made an appointment and just went in and waited.

Call the family doctor and get a referral. Find a good SPORTS MEDICINE ORTHO GROUP. Be sure they understand she is ACTIVE and needs to have it strengthened or fixed. Some Orthos are true a-holes and think everyone sits in front of the TV doing almost nothing. I had one guy tell me I probably had a bad Meniscus and to stop skiing and other high activity sports. Geez, that was 20 years ago.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

Hey Jude wrote:First, so sorry about your wife and her incident with the pogo stick. I give her credit for even thinking about climbing on that thing!

Second, I agree that it was a bit odd that your wife just showed up at the doctor's office without calling or making an appointment but that in no way excuses the doctor's behavior. I agree that a new doctor is in order, obviously the one you've been going to has some serious problems with her bedside manner.
I too don't understand why she decided to just show up at a doctor's office. I would never do that but for some reason she did. Very odd. She has found another dr. and made an appointment, so maybe things will go better now...

Thanks for the comments!
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

LINYbob wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:First, so sorry about your wife and her incident with the pogo stick. I give her credit for even thinking about climbing on that thing!

I too don't understand why she decided to just show up at a doctor's office. I would never do that but for some reason she did. Very odd. She has found another dr. and made an appointment, so maybe things will go better now...

Thanks for the comments!
Where abouts do you live Bob?

I could recommend a good one in Fairlawn, NJ.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Just curious, first name and last name of the doc. We should know who this jerk is.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Dr. NO wrote:

Call the family doctor and get a referral. Find a good SPORTS MEDICINE ORTHO GROUP. Be sure they understand she is ACTIVE and needs to have it strengthened or fixed. Some Orthos are true a-holes and think everyone sits in front of the TV doing almost nothing. I had one guy tell me I probably had a bad Meniscus and to stop skiing and other high activity sports. Geez, that was 20 years ago.
The doctor she saw probably was the family doctor.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

CAPBOY wrote:Just curious, first name and last name of the doc. We should know who this jerk is.
It was a woman doctor I believe.