St. Lois High shooting and gun control

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

St. Lois High shooting and gun control

Post by easyrider16 »

This is pretty outrageous:
Just nine days before a gunman, 19, opened fire in a St. Louis high school, killing two and injuring others, his mother contacted police to request that they take away his rifle.

That’s according to St. Louis interim Police Commissioner Michael Sack, who said during a news conference that the teenager’s parents had done “everything that they possibly could have done,” including getting him therapy, medication and in-patient treatment as he struggled with mental health issues.

Per CNN, “Officers responded and determined at that time the suspect was lawfully permitted to possess the firearm,” a statement, which was obtained by CNN affiliate KMOV, reads. “A third party known to the family was contacted and took possession of the firearm so that it would no longer be stored in the home.”
The fact that the parents basically warned everyone this could happen, yet police did nothing, is unforgiveable. I don't necessarily blame police, I blame this stupid 2A gun lobby that has prevented any attempt to give police the legal tools they need to prevent these shootings. This kid should not only have had his guns taken away, he should have been confined pending a full psych workup.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/mo ... r-AA13rS1M
deadheadskier

Re: St. Lois High shooting and gun control

Post by deadheadskier »

The gun lobby absolutely does not care about gun crimes. That should be obvious to everyone at this point. All they want is more guns sold. Period. End of story.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

deadheadskier wrote: Oct 28th, '22, 07:31 The gun lobby absolutely does not care about gun crimes. That should be obvious to everyone at this point. All they want is more guns sold. Period. End of story.
Republicans also don't care about gun crimes. They care about getting the endorsement of the gun lobby.
Don't Killington Pico
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

You guys see the story about the 50 caliber gun used by a Mexican cartel being traced to a U.S. gun supplier?
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

deadheadskier wrote: Oct 28th, '22, 07:31 The gun lobby absolutely does not care about gun crimes. That should be obvious to everyone at this point. All they want is more guns sold. Period. End of story.
:bull
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

boston_e wrote: Oct 28th, '22, 08:08
Republicans also don't care about gun crimes. They care about getting the endorsement of the gun lobby.
:bull

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The Mexican Attorney General's office asked the ATF to trace a .50-caliber semi-automatic machine gun they say helped take down the military helicopter in an infamous May 1, 2015, incident that rattled law enforcement on both sides of the border.
In Mexico, civilians with gun permits can buy from one store. In Oregon, buyers can buy from 1,208. Portland alone has 53 gun stores and pawn shops selling firearms, according to the ATF's Seattle Field Division, which also includes Oregon.

ATF agents went to a Mexican Army base in Colima, south of Jalisco, in 2016 to help trace the gun, Chudy said.

ATF confirmed the .50-caliber had been purchased by Flores Elortegui at a gun shop in Rainier, a town on the south bank of the Columbia River across from Longview, Washington.

He lied on the ATF form, claiming he wanted the $15,350 gun for himself, the indictment alleges. He listed his home as Beaverton, Oregon, seven miles southwest of downtown Portland.
I ask you this: how in god's name is some random dude in Oregon allowed to buy a .50 caliber semi-automatic machine gun? How is that legal? There is no valid reason for this. The gun lobby is to blame, because sales of these types of weapons to regular people should 100% be banned, and they would be if it wasn't for the ridiculous gun lobby blocking any sane regulatory measure.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 589556007/
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 31st, '22, 08:42I ask you this: how in god's name is some random dude in Oregon allowed to buy a .50 caliber semi-automatic machine gun? How is that legal?
Same way you can buy a Barrett 50 (e.g., M82A1) in PA. It's legal. My local gun range has special events you can shoot the Barett 50. It's a beast. Here's a photo of it ... it can't be used for anything but shooting down at the range.

throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

I didn't read the entire article, but this caught my eye:

"charging the 40-year-old fugitive with illegally buying weapons and smuggling them out of the U.S."

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 31st, '22, 09:50
easyrider16 wrote: Oct 31st, '22, 08:42I ask you this: how in god's name is some random dude in Oregon allowed to buy a .50 caliber semi-automatic machine gun? How is that legal?
Same way you can buy a Barrett 50 (e.g., M82A1) in PA. It's legal. My local gun range has special events you can shoot the Barett 50. It's a beast. Here's a photo of it ... it can't be used for anything but shooting down at the range.

It's the height of stupidity. These are military grade weapons designed to attack armored vehicles. Literally zero reason for a private citizen to buy one.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

What's the problem? All we need is more good guys with 50 cal rifles than bad guys with them.

That's what the gun lobby has told us is the solution and they clearly know the best firearm policies for America. Our statistics for gun violence are admired by the rest of the world!
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

What blows me away is that it is so easy for people to buy these kinds of guns in the USA that the cartel sends people here to buy them and smuggle them *into* Mexico. Are you f*cking kidding me. And nobody seems to care.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Are you forgetting the infamous Fast and Furious debacle created by Eric Holder?

- Simon and Garfunkel