My return to skiing

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SkiDork
Site Admin

My return to skiing

Post by SkiDork »

Saw my name mentioned a few times so I figured I'd post up some thoughts. Decided to continue Ty's legacy and get back out there. So I've been working hard in the gym for about 3 months now on all the leg machines. Squats are the toughest due to my knee instability but I've been slowly increasing. Whenever I walk out of there I feel great - I do legs every other day. My cardio is also good as I'm on either stationary or road bike pretty much every day.

I'm very excited to get out there and am hoping for a quick transition back into the fold...

So I skied for the first time in over 10 years on Friday. Took out my old Fischer RC4 SL skis - ugh. Couldn't carve them like I used to... Don't remember them being that heavy either. So I did 12 runs on rime and reason/rime. Felt "OK". But the walk back up the stairs was tough on my right knee which is B-O-B. So there was a disappointing result. (the walk down was OK which I thought might be tough).

Decided to take Saturday off to give the knees some rest. Also drove up to Planet Fitness in Berlin to do the leg workout. Walking out of there the knees didn't feel as good as they usually do especially the right knee (arrg). Also went to Forerunner and purchased all new gear since all my stuff is pretty old. Was excited to try it out. Got Fischer Ranger One ski boots, and 2 skis: Black Crow Vertis in a 175 and Armada Zero ARV 116 for pow.

Went out yesterday morning. Right knee was giving me trouble walking up stairs. Got out on the hill and right away I knew it was going to be a tough day. Right knee would just not cooperate when I tried turning left - could not put forward pressure into my boot so had to rely on the uphill ski for the turn (ugh)

Gave up after 3 runs. Was crying not so much from the pain but from the discouragement. I'm really looking forward to being back out there with all you fine folks.

I have 2 Donjoy Defiance braces from years ago but I don't want to have to use them if I can help it. I had compression sleeves on my knees but they didn't seem to help much yesterday.

So my plan is Get some PT for my knees and get re-introduced to the knee specific exercises that I'm not doing on the machines at Planet Fitness - for instance laying down, towel rolled up under the knee and press down into the towel. Hopefully there are others. I'm really motivated to build an internal brace rather than relying on the Donjoys. Next time I ski will be the weekend after World Cup weekend so hopefully I can see some improvement by then.

Jeff
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Re: My return to skiing

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Sorry for the disappointments, but great to hear you are back at it.

Good luck with the additional PT. Also hopefully the next time you try, without the whole addition of having to do the stairs, it will be easier.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Dork - good luck but don't rush it. It's a long season. You don't want to blow it out and miss the good stuff later on.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Great to see you on Saturday. You did grrreat!

Knees will comeback after a few days. Mine hurt all the time even after the replacement.

You skied well and glad you got some new equipment.

Just like riding a bike!
BE0576C6-6CA5-40B4-8AF2-1A92052F9FDF.jpeg
BE0576C6-6CA5-40B4-8AF2-1A92052F9FDF.jpeg (596.14 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Glad you're back out there but don't push it. Knees are fragile and it's a long season.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

You looked great from the lift! Baby steps!
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I start PT tomorrow! I totally want to build the internal brace.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

was great to chat and see you out there. looked great. as has been said, take it slow. you'll be back.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

I always found that leg workouts made my knees feel worse. I recommend just getting as much time as you can on the slopes until you get your "ski legs".

Unloader braces work well for bone on bone.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is- ... ce-2552051
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Jeff wonderful for you. Take it slow and you will be okay. 12 runs on your first day out is a lot.
I will be back out when there are more runs open.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

Bubba wrote: Nov 21st, '22, 11:46 Glad you're back out there but don't push it. Knees are fragile and it's a long season.
ditto that bro
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Check out the gel shots for the knees.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

So B-O-B means bone on bone? recently had a knee issue but minor. back stuff has taken me out other than easy slopes, but i feel for those with knee issues. i don't know what's worse, i think knee issues probably are. good luck dork, cool you got out there - you'll figure it out!

rusty you had a knee replacement - don't recall that, great you're still out there, you must've planned adn timed the surgery and rehab *just right* since you've never been absent from the kzone reports.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Welcome Back ! 👊
That's a long layoff ..
Your legs will be fine .. patience wins out.
We find Jameson helpful for cranky knees. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Look at cwx compression tights. They have some for with knee support.