wednesday 12/14 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

wednesday 12/14 report

Post by skiadikt »

3 in a row ... no such luck. kind of a raw, blustery, overcast affair. sun starting to poke through when i left around noon. pretty much a rinse and repeat day. at the bell the groom skied quite nicely but that lasted maybe an hour as the underlying ice sheets get exposed. no rotd, but right of center mouse trap probably had the best snow as the fan gun keeps delivering. at supe, roles were reversed as lark seemed to be the better of the two, but make no mistake there's a lot of WC ice. edgeable but very fast. NR skied off by the time we got there. LEF was "better" yesterday as it firmed up as expected. more "bumps" to turn on but more porcelain - pick your poison. maybe it's time for a trim. EZ St was rather chunky.

snowmaking continuing on snowshed, highlander, header from EZ St down and lower bitter.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: wednesday 12/14 report

Post by MrsG »

Thought Sup/Skylark were both good as was everything we skied! Got stopped on Rams lift first thing for second day in a row. Fourth chair and stopped in same exact spot as yesterday😣. Along with Bubble and K1 delayed - what happened to the Killington text to keep us informed of delays? Newbie Brits arriving tomorrow, so hopefully opening Snowshed!

P.S. - Get off my lawn😝
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

I love Killington and the snow itself was a solid B- but resort overall a generous D-. It’s December 15th and the mountain is skiing like it’s November 7th. Isolated Ramshead pod. No snowshed. K1 might as well not even be open (the lodge, thankful for the lift). I’m struggling to figure out who killingtons target market is. They can’t hang with the luxury resorts but demand a premium on 30 “trails”. More like 3-4 with some offshoots.
Last edited by alanlw9 on Dec 14th, '22, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

alanlw9 wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 14:28 I love Killington and the snow itself was a solid B- but resort overall a generous D-. It’s December 15th and the mountain is skiing like it’s November 7th. Isolated Ramshead pod. No snowshed. K1 might as well not even be open. I’m struggling to figure out who killingtons target market is. They can’t hang with the luxury resorts but demand a premium on 30 “trails”. More like 3-4 with some offshoots.
The date may be December 15th but it didn't get cold until December 10th. Can't really blame K for lack of open acreage. It's not like the competition is doing so much better. Now that we finally have cold weather and some natural on the way things should be changing quickly. If they don't then your criticism will be warranted.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

alanlw9 wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 14:28 I love Killington and the snow itself was a solid B- but resort overall a generous D-. It’s December 15th and the mountain is skiing like it’s November 7th. Isolated Ramshead pod. No snowshed. K1 might as well not even be open (the lodge, thankful for the lift). I’m struggling to figure out who killingtons target market is. They can’t hang with the luxury resorts but demand a premium on 30 “trails”. More like 3-4 with some offshoots.
Hello! It only got "cold" 5 or so days ago. Sunday River delayed their new 8 because of lack of terrain on Jordan. Things are just getting going all around it's been brutal. They must have some market it's been jammed every non r*in out day.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Dec 14th, '22, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

skiadikt wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 13:37 3 in a row ... no such luck. kind of a raw, blustery, overcast affair. sun starting to poke through when i left around noon. pretty much a rinse and repeat day. at the bell the groom skied quite nicely but that lasted maybe an hour as the underlying ice sheets get exposed. no rotd, but right of center mouse trap probably had the best snow as the fan gun keeps delivering. at supe, roles were reversed as lark seemed to be the better of the two, but make no mistake there's a lot of WC ice. edgeable but very fast. NR skied off by the time we got there. LEF was "better" yesterday as it firmed up as expected. more "bumps" to turn on but more porcelain - pick your poison. maybe it's time for a trim. EZ St was rather chunky.

snowmaking continuing on snowshed, highlander, header from EZ St down and lower bitter.
They also should have started shutting down Snowshed slope earlier and began making the move into Northbrook starting with High Road. Learning 2 Ski slope next as well to complete the Snowshed triangle.
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

newpylong1 wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 16:21
alanlw9 wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 14:28 I love Killington and the snow itself was a solid B- but resort overall a generous D-. It’s December 15th and the mountain is skiing like it’s November 7th. Isolated Ramshead pod. No snowshed. K1 might as well not even be open (the lodge, thankful for the lift). I’m struggling to figure out who killingtons target market is. They can’t hang with the luxury resorts but demand a premium on 30 “trails”. More like 3-4 with some offshoots.
Hello! It only got "cold" 5 or so days ago. Sunday River delayed their new 8 because of lack of terrain on Jordan. Things are just getting going all around it's been brutal. They must have some market it's been jammed every non r*in out day.
You’re right as others have pointed out and I won’t argue that the weather has been poor. You have great insight on all things snowmaking so, what is the point - at this stage - of wasting resources on something like bear trax. It seemed to only serve as a painful “easier way” down the mountain.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

They made snow there when it was too warm to make it anywhere else and yes, to connect SS to K Peak when you couldn't get across the bottom on skis. Now they are already halfway to being able to connect K Peak with the backside of Skye when they're ready and to South Ridge when that's ready too via Blue Heaven.

This is the type of foresight/ agility that has been lacking the last couple years.
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

newpylong1 wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 17:37 They made snow there when it was too warm to make it anywhere else and yes, to connect SS to K Peak when you couldn't get across the bottom on skis. Now they are already halfway to being able to connect K Peak with the backside of Skye when they're ready and to South Ridge when that's ready too via Blue Heaven.

This is the type of foresight/ agility that has been lacking the last couple years.
Thank you, in newpylong we trust!
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

I wouldn't go half that far I've been wrong a lot this year.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

alanlw9 wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 17:29
You’re right as others have pointed out and I won’t argue that the weather has been poor. You have great insight on all things snowmaking so, what is the point - at this stage - of wasting resources on something like bear trax. It seemed to only serve as a painful “easier way” down the mountain.
That “painful” easier way down is for the people who actually pay the bills.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

MrsG wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 14:06 Thought Sup/Skylark were both good as was everything we skied! Got stopped on Rams lift first thing for second day in a row. Fourth chair and stopped in same exact spot as yesterday😣. Along with Bubble and K1 delayed - what happened to the Killington text to keep us informed of delays? Newbie Brits arriving tomorrow, so hopefully opening Snowshed!

P.S. - Get off my lawn😝
that got a laugh outta me! thanks for reports, all.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Looks like Snowshed opens tomorrow at 10AM. So with Easy Street on Rams that opened today, the terrain for the novices that pay the bills is increasing. Bittersweet is lit up, and hopefully Needles is close behind. Big change from last week.
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

Bubba wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 18:58
alanlw9 wrote: Dec 14th, '22, 17:29
That “painful” easier way down is for the people who actually pay the bills.
It’s a narrow, flat and painful trail especially for those who pay the bills. Getting stuck is day ruiner and then they don’t come back. So who pays the bills then?
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

alanlw9 wrote: Dec 15th, '22, 04:21
It’s a narrow, flat and painful trail especially for those who pay the bills. Getting stuck is day ruiner and then they don’t come back. So who pays the bills then?
Explain getting stuck ? Beginner snowboarder ?
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"