My return to skiing

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RENO
Whipping Post

Re: My return to skiing

Post by RENO »

SkiDork wrote: Dec 12th, '22, 22:49 I have 10 days so far. Pain is preventing me from skiing the way I want to ski. I can last longer on flat and fast like the superstar pod vs sugar mounds like on middle chute.

I start gel shots on Thursday. I am going to rent a snowboard and tool around on snowshed once it opens, seeing if that is less painful on the knees, which I believe it is.

I will contact HSS in February to initiate knee replacement with them. Hoping for maybe April.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Definitely take a lesson. Wait until middle of the week when it's quiet. Wed. is best. You'll probably pay for a group lesson and get a private 1 on 1 lesson. Also Helmet, Wristguards, kneepads and butt pads are your friends. Stuff a hat or 2 down there if you have to. You'll need them the first day. You'll be falling. After a lesson and 3 hours on the snow I was finally able to make turns and then onto the lift to do some easy trails. Snowboarding is much less painful on the knees. You basically bend the knees forward and backward the way they're supposed to bend. Unlike skiing where you're always twisting them in odd directions. Good luck...
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

SkiDork wrote: Dec 12th, '22, 22:49 I have 10 days so far. Pain is preventing me from skiing the way I want to ski. I can last longer on flat and fast like the superstar pod vs sugar mounds like on middle chute.

I start gel shots on Thursday. I am going to rent a snowboard and tool around on snowshed once it opens, seeing if that is less painful on the knees, which I believe it is.

I will contact HSS in February to initiate knee replacement with them. Hoping for maybe April.

regarding the surgery, i'd check with them now to see how far out they're booking to make sure you can april.

as someone who's had a knee replacement, you'll feel a lot better after the replacement. you should be pain free. interestingly for me the knee didn't bother me when i was skiing. i just couldn't walk.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

RENO wrote: Dec 13th, '22, 20:15

Definitely take a lesson. Wait until middle of the week when it's quiet. Wed. is best. You'll probably pay for a group lesson and get a private 1 on 1 lesson. Also Helmet, Wristguards, kneepads and butt pads are your friends. Stuff a hat or 2 down there if you have to. You'll need them the first day. You'll be falling. After a lesson and 3 hours on the snow I was finally able to make turns and then onto the lift to do some easy trails. Snowboarding is much less painful on the knees. You basically bend the knees forward and backward the way they're supposed to bend. Unlike skiing where you're always twisting them in odd directions. Good luck...
If you’re going to the dark side, out west is the best place to learn. Wide open boulevards with soft snow make the initial learning curve a lot easier. Good luck either way! A lesson is definitely a good idea.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Pedro - I've snowboarded 3 times, and the 3rd time was able to get down Snowshed without falling so I'm over the hump.

Got my first gel shot yesterday it is a 3 shot protocol. They said I won't feel anything till after the 2nd shot.

I'm going up to K tonight but won't go out in cement as I know that is a recipe for knee pain. Gotta do some other stuff like get the car inspected. All the rest of you have fun tomorrow!
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage