monday 1/23 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

monday 1/23 report

Post by skiadikt »

definitely in the sweet spot now as the 2nd storm in the last 4 days dumped a reported 8" on the hill. once again of the heavier variety but certainly EZ skiing, freshening up yesterday's trashed trails. a full corral at the bubble.

opened on royal flush where there was only one set of trax. perfection. followed up w vagabond & NS which skied great. our newest "nat" trail, great bear was a mixed bag. good down to the tunnel then absolute cement followed more great pow on the other side. there were still a couple residual guns firing. ridge run was resuscitated w the new snow and of course the upper dipper line was sweet. LEF, one of the few groomers we hit skied well. escapade followed by flume - one of the highlights. jug great but disappointed by breakaway. upper good but the lower section still needs more snow. ttb dream excellent. thimble a bit skied out when we hit it. vertigo was loaded though hit some rocks on mid. getting into lower was a bit more user friendly today. for 2 days running, rotd was OL and got repeats. as close to western skiing as we get here. back nine really good. fantastic. finished on old supe>mid o>lower o. old supe good. mid o mixed. lower skied great but you're gonna hit rocks.

snowmaking appears to be ramping down. guns were shut off on OL. still were pounding downdraft. not sure whether they're running on timberline. should be interesting to see where they fire up next.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Dickc
Postaholic

Re: monday 1/23 report

Post by Dickc »

As I still am on the shelf, not skiing, keep these reports coming so I can ski vicariously through all of you reporters.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I think the lower 3 inches were denser than the top 3, it skied like 6. Got a few runs in before we declared "Fun hour" was over. After that was plenty of good skiing. The AM report had just 4 inches, I had 6-7 on my deck. After 10:30 the rush was over and it settled into a Monday crowd.

Did anyone else ford the creek and run the icy mogul gauntlet beyond right after you went by the SRQ base terminal? That was NOT a green trail today.

Killington to-do list for the summer:
Mow Vagabond
Run a grader over the parking lots
More to follow....
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

always surprised that escapade/flume is decent after not much natural, same for old supe etc, i just always assume there'd be nothing left,
has some base stuck around through the lean times?
as mm points out, 3" of wet/heavy topped with another 3+" of lighter, guess that's a combo i can see working.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Mister Moose wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 17:24 Did anyone else ford the creek and run the icy mogul gauntlet beyond right after you went by the SRQ base terminal? That was NOT a green trail today.
that thing is a mess. been taking the upper road to bear cub.
twilkas wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 17:39 always surprised that escapade/flume is decent after not much natural, same for old supe etc, i just always assume there'd be nothing left,
escapade was good. the real star and surprise was flume. tons of snow on it. you do need to tread lightly on the runout in the usual spots. we did get a couple one inchers and that added up to provide a little base. nonetheless, overall many of the nats are rather thin and by late in the day some are getting rather "worn." we could use a couple feet to bury everything.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Mister Moose wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 17:24 I think the lower 3 inches were denser than the top 3, it skied like 6. Got a few runs in before we declared "Fun hour" was over. After that was plenty of good skiing. The AM report had just 4 inches, I had 6-7 on my deck. After 10:30 the rush was over and it settled into a Monday crowd.

Did anyone else ford the creek and run the icy mogul gauntlet beyond right after you went by the SRQ base terminal? That was NOT a green trail today.

Mow Vagabond
More to follow....
that's been bad for a few days now, but its still bad? i opted to drop off the back of the south ridge terminal, but somebody got there before me and it was pretty well tracked by the time i hit it.

while were running graders over parking lots, hit pico please!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

twilkas wrote:always surprised that escapade/flume is decent after not much natural, same for old supe etc, i just always assume there'd be nothing left,
as mm points out, 3" of wet/heavy topped with another 3+" of lighter, guess that's a combo i can see working.
There are about 10 places on the hill that the snow freakishly holds up on.

I'll offer 2:

Low Road

Ridge Run

Escapade and Flume are on the list as well.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Great day.

Way more up top than down at Bear - or maybe as said here less dense down low.

I must have been right behind skiadct all morning.

It was all good. Flush was excellent 2nd run.

One more foot and the trees will be good to go.

I saw people with red K jackets on coming down chop chop...yikes. those are my favorite trees on the hill butt not today.

newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

hillbangin wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 18:49
twilkas wrote:always surprised that escapade/flume is decent after not much natural, same for old supe etc, i just always assume there'd be nothing left,
There are about 10 places on the hill that the snow freakishly holds up on.

I'll offer 2:

Low Road

Ridge Run

Escapade and Flume are on the list as well.

Some of my best bump runs at K have been on Low Road. No one skis it and I love low angle nat bumps.
NEChairlifts/Skiing
Green Skidder

Post by NEChairlifts/Skiing »

Mister Moose wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 17:24 I think the lower 3 inches were denser than the top 3, it skied like 6. Got a few runs in before we declared "Fun hour" was over. After that was plenty of good skiing. The AM report had just 4 inches, I had 6-7 on my deck. After 10:30 the rush was over and it settled into a Monday crowd.

Mow Vagabond
More to follow....
Sure did get caught off guard by that mess on Falls Brook. As me and my dad approached it from Roundabout (really good and fun trail today btw) my dad said to me “you sure that’s open?”. The SRQ was not running, so we had no choice. So across we went with my dad laughing about the whole thing.

On the topic of creeks, I another creek crossing on Racer’s Edge today between East Fall and Royal Flush. This one was small, but it still managed to get my ski caught in it.

Overall great day, long overdue for some pow.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Great Zoner's think alike, Flush was our # 2 as well at the open.
Fantastic skiing out there with powder puffs all around. High elevation glades skiing well. Lower ones not so much because of the streams.
Caught OL right after the guns went off, fantastic.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid / Late Day Report: Out earlier than normal to catch the "pow" after getting out property cleaned up. Quite crowded for a Monday afternoon [not surprising though].

Poor visibility on the Canyon side, for most of the time we were out. Much clearer other side of the ridge.

ROTD: Pipe Dream. And yes, also got sucked into the bony exit first time through. Took the high route after that.

Warmup run on Highline pretty good, via Upper Conclusion. Quite a bit of "pow" on it. Took one run at Rams Head, via Frolic, and got to "rip up" Header au natural; pretty good, but left there quickly looking for more pitch. Up to North Ridge for couple laps on Ridge Run that was very good.

Then, a couple of long laps that included South Ridge, Needle's Eye area, Dream Maker, and Superstar area [just to get to the chair and over the top again]. Upper Jug and Pipe Dream very good and agree Breakaway pretty much trashed. Thimble was very good first time through it before a swarm of KMS kids slid down it. But still OK next time through. Needle's Eye was excellent; several trails in one - pick your line. Dream Maker HW very good in places, with the normal rock outcroppings to keep you on your toes. Lower section of DM was excellent. Low Road very good as already noted by others. Old Bittersweet puckerbrush field somewhat mowed down and skiable. First run on that one this season.

Finished out on Snowdon. Chose North Star over Conclusion for the concluding run ; OK with plenty of rocks in the normal sections.

Good day !

Heard some complaining from a friend on the lift about the park crew "running pow laps" before the bubble opened at 9:00. Not sure if this was true or not, but they weren't happy while standing in line for about 45 minutes to get first chair.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 24th, '23, 09:41 Mid / Late Day Report: Out earlier than normal to catch the "pow" after getting out property cleaned up. Quite crowded for a Monday afternoon [not surprising though].

Heard some complaining from a friend on the lift about the park crew "running pow laps" before the bubble opened at 9:00. Not sure if this was true or not, but they weren't happy while standing in line for about 45 minutes to get first chair.
I was there, They got a lot of crap for their 3 laps.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

180 wrote:
Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 24th, '23, 09:41 Mid / Late Day Report: Out earlier than normal to catch the "pow" after getting out property cleaned up. Quite crowded for a Monday afternoon [not surprising though].

I 3rd that motion. I saw them come down twice after 830.

I remember a two foot day waiting at the old slow don and 5 ski patrol guys came down before the lift opened and trashed the whole trail.

They would have gotten their tickets pulled on a heli trip. Very rude .

throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

hillbangin wrote: Jan 24th, '23, 14:26
180 wrote:

I 3rd that motion. I saw them come down twice after 830.

I remember a two foot day waiting at the old slow don and 5 ski patrol guys came down before the lift opened and trashed the whole trail.

They would have gotten their tickets pulled on a heli trip. Very rude .

Meh. I guess you old farts forget what it is like to be a young man. Y'all would have done the same thing given the chance.

Heaven forbid if a few minimum wage workers get a few powder runs!!!
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel