Josh Fox on this week into next

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Josh Fox on this week into next

Post by Mister Moose »

Winter is about to roar back to life in northern Vermont with heavy snowfall close to a virtual certainty on Thursday and I am hopeful that we can expand the good tidings past this week and into early March...

A stronger clipper system is expected to bring more snowfall late on Tuesday. ...

Vermont might as well be living on a different planet with arctic air actually strengthening its grip on the region as snow arrives very early on Thursday. Northern Vermont is positioned beautifully for an extended period of overrunning snowfall beginning in the pre-dawn hours Thursday and extending into early Friday. It's a storm featuring La Nina's best personality trait after a month where we saw La Nina at its absolute worst. In terms of snowfall amounts, some caution should be advised as changes could occur in the next few days, but we've seen a good consensus emerge over the last 24-48 hours for a widespread 1-2 foot event for northern Vermont. Some sleet is possible for the MRV but this is more likely and more problematic in central and southern Vermont. Temperatures after early Thursday will generally be in the teens and drop into the single numbers as snowfall ends Friday ensuring a rather dry snowfall event. Arctic air then dominates the weather picture Friday night into early Saturday dropping temperatures well below zero on Saturday morning...

Overall though, its hard to complain about the outlook for the next 10 days and the benefits of this setup could certainly extend out further into March.
I think we've earned it this year.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Josh Fox on this week into next

Post by KingsFourMan »

Wait a minute, you mean it might actually snow in Vt instead of pissing down rein? Sadly, rein storms in winter now outnumber snow storms, this winter by about 10-1. Where do I sign to get one of those $2,300,0000 new condos at the bottom of bear mountain?

Sorry for being so negative, Vt winters aint what they used to be.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 20th, '23, 09:49 Sorry for being so negative, Vt winters aint what they used to be.
Doubt your sincerity. Your buddy Spike was crying in his beer at the KPAA meeting last Thursday. Go West old man if it makes you happy. Please don't piss our positive vibe.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 20th, '23, 09:49 Wait a minute, you mean it might actually snow in Vt instead of pissing down rein? Sadly, rein storms in winter now outnumber snow storms, this winter by about 10-1. Where do I sign to get one of those $2,300,0000 new condos at the bottom of bear mountain?

Sorry for being so negative, Vt winters aint what they used to be.
There is a building near the Skye Peak Quad where you can put your deposit down.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Feb 20th, '23, 20:49
KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 20th, '23, 09:49 Sorry for being so negative, Vt winters aint what they used to be.
Doubt your sincerity. Your buddy Spike was crying in his beer at the KPAA meeting last Thursday. Go West old man if it makes you happy. Please don't piss our positive vibe.
It's hard to have a positive vibe when it reins week in and week out all winter long but i hear you, pissing and moaning about it accomplishes nothing.

Besides, Summer in Vt is glorious and by far our favorite season there followed by Fall and that's enough for us to keep our place there. But we are seriously reconsidering where we want to spend our winters in the not so distant future of retirement. Renting out our place in Vt for the winter and spending winter in CO is looking more and more attractive to us with every passing year. We have a daughter there and I went to college there and being near her and college buddies is a major draw along with the 300+" of snow and lack of rein.

As far as Spike goes, who can blame him for crying in his beer, he and is two partners own the largest snowmobile tour operation in the state from Mount Snow to Stowe and employ a lot people that are also being hurt.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

How’d that forecast turn out? Even Northern VT (Stowe) only reported 8”.

This guy is about as good as snow-forecast and clownology.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

spanky wrote:How’d that forecast turn out? Even Northern VT (Stowe) only reported 8”.

He's usually close.

Keep in mind his bullseye is MRV.

Every thirty miles makes a big difference lately.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

To be fair, pretty much everyone got this one wrong. A definite over promise/under deliver storm.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

hillbangin wrote:
spanky wrote:How’d that forecast turn out? Even Northern VT (Stowe) only reported 8”.

He's usually close.

Usually close? I gather we have differing definitions of usually and close.

He said widespread 1-2 feet. Nobody reported anything over 12”.

As Bubba said, everyone got this one wrong. Still, Josh Fox is way too optimistic.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

spanky wrote:
hillbangin wrote:

He's usually close.

Usually close? I gather we have differing definitions of usually and close.

He said widespread 1-2 feet. Nobody reported anything over 12”.

As Bubba said, everyone got this one wrong. Still, Josh Fox is way too optimistic.
Butt he's usually close.

And he's usually conservative.

Even the computers get this stuff wrong.

Sounds like you wasted some petrol heading up for this one thinking you'd need a snorkel.

Not this year unfortunately.

Go west young man......

buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

yes josh is often over-optimistic in his forecasts
yes the typically conservative NOAA lined up with josh on this.
seemed like a slam-dunk.
drive to MRG was mildly treacherous esp up to vt border.
decent day but not enough to bury the glare ice bumps adequately.
lower angle was creamy.
ride home white knuckly
a long, long day to be a bit disappointed
been spoiled this season with all of my pow days before thurs much closer to home. (best so far: bromley 1/23)
maybe the next one.
Attachments
04B53E72-3A8A-4F6F-B94A-69CBC7AEA1AB.jpeg
04B53E72-3A8A-4F6F-B94A-69CBC7AEA1AB.jpeg (266.06 KiB) Viewed 243 times
12263C11-1080-4CF2-BE10-990E2B318606.jpeg
12263C11-1080-4CF2-BE10-990E2B318606.jpeg (233.87 KiB) Viewed 243 times