tuesday 2/28 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

tuesday 2/28 report

Post by skiadikt »

back to back and belly to belly - another pow day. i'll take 4" every day. rather windy out there with light snow falling though it seemed to be changing over to "something" when i left just after 1. because of the wind, there was some "drifting".

parked at vale, so hit the ram's trees at the bell working across the snowdon ridge. for the most part skiing well though got tripped up on a hidden little knub in low rider. still need to be careful. upper GB was good early. by the time i got to NS, the ice on the bumps had been revealed. LEF good. bumps skier's right on pipedream good. burst very nice. hit the stash woods from the top and skied well. vertigo very good except for icey section on the HW. caught panic/needles right after KMS opened it and skied beautifully. skye hawk>supe good.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: tuesday 2/28 report

Post by RustyK »

Tried the gondi at 9:00, but it was on hold. Off to the bubble with GIS crew and Liv4ski.

Couple of low rider laps left on lots of drifted snow mounds. nice. Up the gondi to hit untracked anarchy
that had less snow than low rider but still very nice.

Sup chair to thimble and under the skyship. Opps...their racing on needles. Laps on stichline and vertigo. woods were ready finally.

Found SBF and tricks for more needles laps. Racing ended and some more fun on panic.

K1 lunch and off to double dipper for a two peat. Anarchy for the finally. Good ending at 3:30.
79FDCA7B-9D9B-4BA0-A46E-2A9354088183.jpeg
79FDCA7B-9D9B-4BA0-A46E-2A9354088183.jpeg (640.91 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Last edited by RustyK on Mar 1st, '23, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Where is Happy Hour ?
noknees
Blue Chatterbox

Post by noknees »

Started at 2pm...parked at the base of superstar as the reserved parking cones are not up during midweek (I guess). Warm up run down vertigo ....HW was a sheet of ice so not worth a repeat. After the headway, perfect. Over to woods of superstar...perfect too, very deep snow, smiling all the way down. Next up was Julio...pretty excellent except when you find the many hidden rocks. Then stupid me, thought I jump on the K Gondi to do big dipper....broke down and took about 45 minutes to get to the top. Diesel back up was on chugging along when we finally got to the top. Stopped about 20 times but ops switched to diesel power. Skied down the headwall and over to big dipper...so cool being the only one out there. The snow on big dipper was like nobody skied there today. So my short ski day was even shorter. Did get a voucher for the delay
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Mostly some good stuff, and much better than it has been.

Skiadikt: That "something" in the afternoon was more of your favorite freezing "mist". This time, it was even heavier than mist. I pity the peeps out there that don't have a Ski Gee; almost wore mine out today.

North Star warmup OK butt plenty of rock hard moguls to contend with. Helped me knowing the trail so was mostly decent skiing.

North Ridge was great. They groomed Ridge Run recently and it was very good with the new "snow".

Also agree Pipe Dream right side bumps very good [with some firm].

Stash woods [yep - from the top SA] good. Lower right side woods getting closed off for the Slash and Berm it looked like. DM park below, with the Griz option very good.

Thimble OK; more firm than I expected. Vertigo from there on down pretty good.

Got our tickets punched on Yodeler ! Didn't venture into Yodeler woods though. Surprise on this run [to get to Rams Head] was the Snowshed carpet run; the carpet wasn't running so "untracked" down to the tunnel.

Twister and Swirl great on Rams Head. Scarecrow woods on the way back OK.

ROTD: Narrowly edging out penultimate run down Conclusion was closing bell Royal Flush. Wind was pushing the "snow" right onto it without blowing it off. This was WROTD two days ago.

The freezing stuff on our goggles was a major PIA. Good day though.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Tickets punched? Usually that's a warning before getting your pass pulled. Or are you just saying you skied the trail.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

snoloco wrote: Feb 28th, '23, 18:54 Tickets punched? Usually that's a warning before getting your pass pulled. Or are you just saying you skied the trail.
Yep!

Clarification to my report: The "stuff" that was coming down was not just the freezing mist. It also contained snow and/or sleet, that was adding to the base and putting down some refresh as the day wore on.

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Is Interceptor skiable or twiggy :?:
Forever .. Goat Path
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

brownman wrote: Feb 28th, '23, 20:05 Is Interceptor skiable or twiggy :?:
Twiggy and Skiable last Thursday when we made some first time this year turns down the trail whose name is never spoken. Sweet turns were found on the back of new lodge cistern.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Feb 28th, '23, 20:39
Twiggy and Skiable last Thursday when we made some first time this year turns down the trail whose name is never spoken. Sweet turns were found on the back of new lodge cistern.
And it was good to go to church today.......

Good base adding today - if you played the wind it was fabulous.

Unexpected knee high on the left side of DD.

VERY EMPTY today....Get out there before IKON Friday.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I'm taking a day off to come tomorrow. Finally the conditions are good enough to be worth it.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Feb 28th, '23, 20:39
Gracias🍻
On the list of gotta haves for today.
Nice to learn you're back in business!
😎
Forever .. Goat Path
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

March 1, 2023 - 06:20 am
Howdy, Beast fans! Can you believe that it's aleady March? Luckily, there is still plenty of skiing and riding ahead of us. Mother Nature blessed us with another powder day on the hill yesterday. We received nearly 2' of snow over the past 7 days which has given us some of the best conditions we've seen so far this year. The snow showers have subsided, but the mountain should be skiing just as good as it has been all week. Unfortunately, the next weather cycle coming in later tonight will bring mixed precipitation, so if there ever was a day to get out, today is the day.

(why would you say that?)

Patrol dropped the ropes on Junita and Julio yesterday, which means The Beast is now 100% open! Snow conditions will be made up of packed powder with areas of powder today. Some spots around the mountain are a little firm due to being either windswept or skied off, but conditions are very good overall. We expect it to warm up drastically throughout the day, but conditions will remain consistent. Patrol predicts the trail of the day is going to be Downdarft, so head over there for some fun soft bumps on wicked steep terrain.
Where is Happy Hour ?
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

RustyK wrote: Mar 1st, '23, 07:25 March 1, 2023 - 06:20 am
Howdy, Beast fans!

(why would you say that?)

Fixed it for you Rusty . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

RustyK wrote: Mar 1st, '23, 07:25 March 1, 2023 - 06:20 am
Howdy, Beast fans! Can you believe that it's aleady March? Luckily, there is still plenty of skiing and riding ahead of us. Mother Nature blessed us with another powder day on the hill yesterday. We received nearly 2' of snow over the past 7 days which has given us some of the best conditions we've seen so far this year. The snow showers have subsided, but the mountain should be skiing just as good as it has been all week. Unfortunately, the next weather cycle coming in later tonight will bring mixed precipitation, so if there ever was a day to get out, today is the day.
you can't handle the truth ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 28th, '23, 21:19 Good base adding today - if you played the wind it was fabulous.
Exactly !! That's why Royal Flush [and some others] were so good late in the day.

For Royal Flush, the wind came from across the "canyon" and as it was not blower pow, it settled the snow into the moguls. All you could see were the very tips of the old icy moguls which was fortunate as if they were completely buried, woulda been hard to guess where the troughs were.