Sunday 03/26/2023

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Sunday 03/26/2023

Post by snoloco »

Did anyone else have to walk out from Bear today due to the power outage?
Finn
Postaholic

Re: Sunday 03/26/2023

Post by Finn »

No as I finished at the k1 side at 11am
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

Was at bear when it happened

Took 30 minutes for app to get updated to display lift status
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Sky Peak Quad has backup diesel power to the backup power and can run without pole power.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

A great day! Many goodbys to Anarchy and Julio with powder and good cover! 4 TTB OLs on the ropeline non stop crud buster at speed and a number of Stichlines. Better than last Sunday which was great. Had to avoid going back to Bear until the end due to the power issue did a sweet Jug to Breakway to end the day.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

So does Stage 1 and 2, so I'm not sure why those didn't stay open. Note that Skyeship has to run as two separate stages when on diesel.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Last day (of 8) at Whistler. Beauty above the clouds. Skiing by braille in the clouds. Then just overcast at lower elevations.

If you look closely, you can see Black Tusk poking through the clouds.
IMG_5354.jpg
(2.16 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

spanky wrote: Mar 26th, '23, 19:52 Last day (of 8) at Whistler. Beauty above the clouds. Skiing by braille in the clouds. Then just overcast at lower elevations.

If you look closely, you can see Black Tusk poking through the clouds.

IMG_5354.jpg
Great pic Spanky!
in the late going, what's the last of the groomed runs at K to survive and *approximately* for how long? question to anyone willing to guesstimate.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Pico Report. Aside from the free lunch [Thx K/P !], very good skiing after the Thursday monsoon. The recent 4" made a big improvement plus just skiing on less trafficked terrain especially with Summit quad down last coupla days. Noticeable difference w.r.t. elevation re: "pow" though even very good off Little Pico lift.

Outpost running and trails with excellent cover. Pipeline was my fave with Bronco and Wrangler great as well.

Upper Pike excellent [best cover of the year] especially once I could get next to left woods with the better viz. Good bit of pow hard left.

Opened Giant Killer at some point and more of the same. Great run w/ Poma woods finish.

Sunset 71 very good though a bit firmer due to higher traffic. Birch Glade was outstanding.

ROTD. Closing bell Summit Glade [about the best I've ever seen the top pitch] -> Sunset woods.

Fun day.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
heiusa
Blue Chatterbox

Post by heiusa »

My son and I decided luckily for us to start at the snowdon 6 and do the woods there, they were fantastic. Snowdon skied great except for the wind gusts which at times were very strong. At one point a gust of wind hit so hard at the base of snowdon 6 that a bunch of rug rats were blown away from the lift. We skied Snowdon alot, plus Northridge, my son tried the dipper woods but there was alot of ice in there, he liked powerline. Superstar was great except prestons pitch, but if you ducked into the woods those were a good way to avoid the ice on prestons. Skylark was excellent. We were having such a good time, we never tried to go to needles/bear and that saved us from dealing wit the power failure. There was alot of racers all over snowdon and in the K1 lodge, but we never dealt with any lines. Not a bad day after yesterdays disaster.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

I think I was there for the kids getting blown over too.

Morning shift at snowden was fantastic

Afternoon shift took the kids to the needles area and that was super awesome. The bumps on vertigo were nice and soft as was stitchline and hit the steps for a bit with the little one. Eventually they shut down the sky peak gondola and needles eye quad. What a turnaround from saturday!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Woods were finally doable which made for the day after frozen groomers the last 3 days for me.

PL woods , light and lots of low angle stuff with skiergirl. Patsies was actually crowded.

Stayed away from the powerless areas. Peak lodge closing on sunday 4/9 with no opening this summer.
According to the gossip up there.

Good day for the 3.75 inches of dense pow.
Where is Happy Hour ?
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Anyone know the status of the severely injured skier taken down Snowshed through the tunnel in a sled around noon yesterday . . There were many Ambassadors from snowshed through the tunnel to rams directing traffic in anticipation off the sleds arrival. This was happening as I was passing through the tunnel with my grandsons. Two patrol snowmobiles arrived, one towing a sled with a patroller on top of the victim applying compressions. Could have been a heart attack . . Not sure, but it looked dire. Ambulance was already waiting.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Great surprise day.

Escapade Dipper Cascade were wind loaded all afternoon.

Place was Empty.

I assumed wind was the problem at Bear.

Elevation was your friend yesterday.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

ski wrote: Mar 27th, '23, 05:59 Anyone know the status of the severely injured skier taken down Snowshed through the tunnel in a sled around noon yesterday . . There were many Ambassadors from snowshed through the tunnel to rams directing traffic in anticipation off the sleds arrival. This was happening as I was passing through the tunnel with my grandsons. Two patrol snowmobiles arrived, one towing a sled with a patroller on top of the victim applying compressions. Could have been a heart attack . . Not sure, but it looked dire. Ambulance was already waiting.
It happened on Cruise Control according to someone I rode the Needle's lift with. A couple runs earlier, I was going up the Snowshed Express and saw two patrollers racing up the trail on snowmobiles. Way faster than they'd typically go on an open trail. I never saw the sled though.