Trump Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Trump Presidency

Post by easyrider16 »

Dickc wrote: Mar 30th, '23, 17:05 Well, all the major news is reporting that Trump had indeed been indicted. They all but seem to be having orgasms over it. This indictment means almost nothing as its over a very minor campaign violation of using campaign funds to pay back Cohen for paying off Stormy Daniels. No jail time will come from it. How about we keep the powder dry for January 6 investigations!!
I'd like to see what the indictment actually says before making the determination that it's about a minor violation. Reportedly it has more than 30 counts related to business fraud. That's got to be more than just the Daniels BS, no? I wonder if they got Weisselberg to spill about other business dealings.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

YES!!!!!! Happy days are here!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

The most interesting part of this whole thing is Trump is going to be tried as an adult.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

So you know how Trump and all the right wing nuts accused billionaire George Soros of funding DA Bragg's campaign? And therefore this indictment is all part of some liberal conspiracy to get him?

Yeah, turns out that was a complete lie. Soros never contributed money to Bragg's campaign and claims he's never met or spoken to him.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA19qieG
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 548581002/

Just another reminder that everything Trump says should be considered untrue until proven otherwise.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

He also admitted on Hannity to taking documents and somehow thinks he should have been paid for them like Nixon???

https://twitter.com/Victorshi2020/statu ... 95040?s=20

The man is legitimately insane and if you still support him, so are you.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I just read that Trump raised $4 million in donations since the indictment. What kind of moron donates money to a billionaire?

Edit: more than $7 million now.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Will go way over $10M after his salvo tonite :sad:
'Defendant Trump' .. better get used to it :like
Rainy night in Georgia .. stay tuned :smash

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

brownman wrote: Apr 4th, '23, 18:35 Will go way over $10M after his salvo tonite :sad:
'Defendant Trump' .. better get used to it :like
Rainy night in Georgia .. stay tuned :smash

:Toast
Anyone watch his presser from MAL? WOW
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I read the indictment and some commentary about it. The indictment itself has specific details about 34 separate transactions, but contains no detail about the context - i.e. it flags a fraudulently reported a payment to Michael Cohen or a check with a specific number, but it doesn't tell us what any of the payments were for. In subsequent commentary, Bragg claimed that these all relate to a scheme by Trump to "catch and kill" stories that might hurt his 2016 campaign. So apparently the payments are for not just Stormy Daniels, but also Karen McDougal and a doorman who was trying to sell info.

I think having multiple instances of alleged conduct helps demonstrate there was a specific plan or scheme here in preparation for 2016, not just a one-off payment that may or may not have been related to the campaign. What they really need though is some strong evidence, like testimony from someone like Weisselberg, that this was part of a plan or scheme. If they're just relying on inference, or Cohen's word, it seems like a pretty weak case, at least for a felony conviction.

Commentary: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA19tCCB

Indcitment: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-indi ... york-read/
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 31st, '23, 07:20
Dickc wrote: Mar 30th, '23, 17:05 Well, all the major news is reporting that Trump had indeed been indicted. They all but seem to be having orgasms over it. This indictment means almost nothing as its over a very minor campaign violation of using campaign funds to pay back Cohen for paying off Stormy Daniels. No jail time will come from it. How about we keep the powder dry for January 6 investigations!!
I'd like to see what the indictment actually says before making the determination that it's about a minor violation. Reportedly it has more than 30 counts related to business fraud. That's got to be more than just the Daniels BS, no? I wonder if they got Weisselberg to spill about other business dealings.
this case is minor compared to the georgia and 1/6 cases. this is typical white collar crime, not trying to overthrow the country. in the court of public opinion which is just as important as the actual court considering this guy is running for president, this case appears like a witch hunt going after a guy who paid off a mistress. as the clinton/lewinsky scandal showed the general public doesnt give a f*** what a president does in his private life with (consenting) women.

he might be guilty of these crimes in NY, but the "apolitical" public isnt going to care. i really hope they dont f*** this case up and then potentially threaten the other cases that are far more important than this one.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Bragg's case in NY is nothing but smoke that leads to an acquittal. If the Jan 6 and Georgia indictments move forward, and they are more solid cases, does it matter what happens in this case? In the short term, Trump is getting a boost. But if these other cases are stronger, and result in convictions, won't people forget about this one?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 6th, '23, 07:05But if these other cases are stronger, and result in convictions, won't people forget about this one?
Do we think there are still people that can be swayed at this point?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I think so. I also think Trump has a shot at winning in 2024, both the nomination and the general. I think there are enough moderates who would hold their nose and vote for him if they thought it would mean a better economic outlook. I think those folks would be less inclined to vote for him if he were convicted of a felony or two. If he gets acquitted on everything, I see those moderates as being more inclined to consider him a viable option.

The more I read about it the more I think these charges in New York are more formidable than they appear. If, for example, they have testimony from Pecker that this was a concerted attempt to "capture and kill" stories in advance of the campaign, it's a pretty strong case to argue this was about the election and therefore an attempt to skirt campaign finance law, making it a felony-level fraud. People can poo poo that theory all they like, but if a jury finds him guilty, it's kinda hard to say it was a politically motivated sham prosecution.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Many will still say it’s a sham because it’s in Manhattan, because the judge and jury are biased, etc. That’s one of the points of Trump’s attacks.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: Apr 6th, '23, 11:58 Many will still say it’s a sham because it’s in Manhattan, because the judge and jury are biased, etc. That’s one of the points of Trump’s attacks.
Many will say this, but I suspect the overwhelming majority of those who do will be Trump sycophants. I would hope most moderates would understand that the jury trial system allows both the prosecutor and defense attorney to inquire into and strike jurors for bias.
Last edited by easyrider16 on Apr 6th, '23, 12:07, edited 2 times in total.