Data recovery..

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

pizzamoose wrote:
SkiDork wrote:think you'll ever nail it (McKinley)?
I know a 71year old man named Mario Locatelli who has climbed Denali. When he got to the top, he did a headstand.

That said, I'm going to try. (:
That is pretty cool. Mario must be pretty fit if he is doing headstands after climbing the mountain.
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

Yeah, Mario is great. Back to the issue at hand, chkdsk may or may not have improved the situation.

I can now open the drive. There are even files and directories there. I noticed, however, that most of the files are recently saved.

The one critically important directory that I need the most is completely gone.. I'd also like to have the directory that my Thunderbird files are stored in - that's can be rebuilt from the backup, however, and is not that big a deal.

Time to start with data recovery tools. I miss that good 'ol days of the internet when you can do a search for "data recovery" and get a bunch of sites that impartially rank and review the options..

Now I have to ask my tech-savvy friends if they have any experience with specific software programs.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

pizzamoose wrote: Now I have to ask my tech-savvy friends if they have any experience with specific software programs.
just saw this thread. I've used a lot of different recovery tools on a whole assortment of crappy drives that went south, and for the money I prefer Final Data.

it saved my butt a few times on drives that nothing else could recover.
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

I was able to obtain a copy of Ontrack Professional. It is used by professional consultants to recover data on drives like mine (Data-recovery gurus.)

It did a little better than the free stuff, and was much faster. I'm still missing a lot of stuff, but there's not much I can do.

I'm throwing in the towel at this point. I'm going to start rebuilding my PC now.